Welcome to PatsFans.com

Steve Jobs Resigns at Apple as CEO

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Aug 25, 2011.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

Sad news sounds like his health won't allow him to continue as CEO he has been named as Chairman of the Board. HE had a clearer vision of what personal technology could be than any other single person in the industry. The products were elegant as well as technically on target.

Nice tributes to this unique individual:

Blog: Thank You, Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs’s Best Quotes - Digits - WSJ
  2. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I saw this yeserday, he's battling some health issues as well.

I'm the biggest APPLE homer in the world. Everything I own is apple products from my Iphone 4 to my macbook or Imac.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Apple computing is a cult beyond Heaven's Gate. (hold on, my iphone is ringing)

Havin said that, the Apple brand was really boosted by their devices, and ability to tap into the luddite with its ease of use per device. The ipod will be looked at as a benchmark for them.

I know lots of apple people, living out in the biggity bay. They all treat Jobs as if he is a god.

Lets not forget though, that Apple needed a serious bailout, and got it from the most unlikely of sources....

Microsoft to invest $150 million in Apple - CNET News
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  4. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

All the best to Steve Jobs and his health. Apple on the other hand?

I detest anything and everything that Apple does. Proprietary hardware (yep), proprietary software (yep), ridiculously high prices (yep), no flash on their devices (yep), making everything in China (yep).

I don't own anything made by Apple and I never will.
  5. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I just get tired of the "not responding" message with PCs and the gagillion viruses out there. I won't lie, the prices are a little steep but in the end, you end up spending just as much for PCs with the upgrades, Virus protection.

Macs dont need that, they just work.
  6. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As someone who has been on College campuses for the last 10 years I can tell you that the average college freshman who owns a mac has no clue about Windows.

These same mac users are outraged when a million programs are not supported on their $1500 Apple product.

Of all the College's I have visited over the years only one had Macs in their Computer Lab. Nice computers but they had both Windows and the latest Mac O/S, whatever that is, installed.
  7. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Lol good points. I actually happen to be very good with PCs as well. I'm not trying to persuade people to change to MACs but they are much better computers to me. Also with Macs and parallels, you can run windows on your mac and it runs faster than it does on a PC lol.

Imagine trying to run MAC OS Lion on a PC?
  8. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My point is that a lot of young people have never seen Windows and know nothing about it as Mum/Dad bought them an Apple product and that is all they know.

A trained monkey could work an Apple Computer. Microsoft is trying to dumb down their OS's but will never come close to what Apple does.
  9. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Exactly.

I agree. Thats what Apple strives for, ultimate convience and ease of their products. Thats what sells most people I've known.
  10. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You are spot on with that but Windows still has 90% market share.

My kids, 13 & 15, have ipods but they have windows laptops. No way I would have bought them macbooks.
  11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Mac users frustrate an IT departments too. I see it on the regular.

Most company systems are built on a PC network, most MACs don't interface with the networs at the same ease as a PC.

and lets not believe all the hype here....Macs get viruses, Macs break down just as often as PCs. And let us also not forget about the OS updates and upgrading all software to keep up with it. The cost of a Mac to a company its IT department and the user's wallet is astounding.

no wonder their profits are through the roof. They have a stable of loyalists, willing to shell out duckets to keep up with the Jonses.

A MAC and a PC can do the exact same things, a Mac will just cost you more to do it.
  12. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, they've made a lot of money off a legion of people who want their computer dumbed down, with limited software titles, and no interchangeability.

For those of us who want the latest software titles, a wider array of them, a boost or reduction in power for certain aspects of one's machine, all on a far more cost-effective platform, it's still a PC world out there.

The PC virus issue is easily warded off by anyone with even a minor understanding of basic firewalls and anti-malware software upkeep. Virus issues are just a non-starter in the debate. Ever tried to "fix" an Apple hardware problem? Good luck. And yes, they do happen. Even better luck trying to pop out, clean, or just replace your Apple video card.

I won't even get into how much money Apple gives to RW causes, nor Jobs' decision to team up with Ruppie Murdoch.
  13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

OF course the point of what Apple attempts to do is to make the technology such that the user doesn't care about how, they can focus on their task.

My grandson started using an IPad when he was ~18 mths, now at 26 months he changes apps and it is his favorite toy. That is good design intuitive and easy to use.

I do use PC's for tasks where the right software isn't available from apple. My next machine will be an iMac running VM software for the couple of PC apps that don't run on a Mac.

6 years ago my daughter had he HP die, she went to an iMac, never had a single problem, just getting rid of the registry was worth the switch.

Besides without the Mac the boys in Redmond wouldn't know what to try and copy to add onto Windows.
  14. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Your 2 year old grandson can work a mac? Thanks for making my point.
  15. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Common misconception about Apple computers. yes, they cost little more up front, but all the virus protections and other things you need to keep a PC actually running fast, you'll end up spending the money either way.

I've been using MAC for over 7 years now, i have NEVER gotten a virus. All of my friends have NEVER gotten a virus. Of course a MAC could get one but have you ever met anyone that did? That debate between the 2 machines doenst even deserve an argument. Everyone knows PCs get virsus like no tomorrow and slow down.

My girlfriend has a Sony Vaio, maybe 2 years now and that thing takes almost 10-15 minutes just to restart it. The things you have to do to keep a PC running at decent speeds is ridiculous. All the updates and software needed to keep them up to date. You have to run defragmentations and all of that stuff. Windows OS's all slow down and crash. Vista was a joke.

PCs do have 90 percent of the shares but Apple doesn't aim to be the BIGGEST shareholder, they strive to make good machines that just work. Its like comparing a Toyota Camry to Porsche. The camry sales more by the number because its cheaper and appeals to more people but the porsche sells at a higher price per unit which keeps the competition up. Even though PCs make more through quantities, MAC destroys them in quality.
  16. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Fortunately never had too. Thats the beauty about MACs, the abundance of hardware failures compared to PCs is almost non-existent. They also don't slow down. Sometimes I leave my Macbook PRO on for months at a time and it still runs the same way without a restart. When i do restart, it takes 45 seconds tops then its right back up. No stupid self test and loading like PCs.

Its called investments, its usually worth it. I hate DELLs BTW lol
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

Specifically an iPad, you act as if this is a negative, designing interfaces that are simple and intuitive is the essence of great design.....;)
  18. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Not really. You can run Windows on a MAC, you can't run LION on a PC. ;)
  19. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Lol. Thats cool. Whats funny is that most people I know always say I want a MAc so bad but I can't afford one lol. PC only sales more units because of the larger variety and cheaper machines..... with cheaper parts and cheaper life spans lol....

Most people would take a MAC over a PC if the prices were the same, trust me. ;)

Apple won't ever lower it's prices though, you have to pay for quality nowadays. I love it this way. But there are super PCS that cost just as much as Macbook pros.
  20. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Moot. If you keep your PC clean by using effortless anti-malware updates, you never have to deal with any of that...

However, there's nothing you can do to expand a Mac's limited software range, boost hardware power or adaptability, or fix the fact that they can't touch PC's DVR technology.

To follow your car analogy: Macs are great if you just wanna go fast. ... But, adding more shock absorption, putting in a customized new stereo, or buying better tires for the road? Not so great.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011