Welcome to PatsFans.com

Steve Jobs -- maybe not a great friend to the Left?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by khayos, Oct 21, 2011.

1. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +347 / 7 / -4

If they can afford it, why do you care?

Regardless, my only point was about the claim that they are "overpriced." The market obviously disagrees.

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

Wasn't this Jobs Guy one of those people that the OWS Hate....:confused:

3. BSR

BSR In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

I'm pretty sure he is referencing the notion that most aren't really in a position to afford it.

It depends on your definition of overpriced. From a supply demand perspective, you are correct. However, when you are paying a premium for brand identification a valid argument can be made that the products are overpriced. That is the current state of Apple. People are paying a premium for a product that has features/abilities less than similarly or under priced competitors products.

4. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes because making sure you dispose of mercury and paying your people well is a bad thing, I mean who need clean drinking water? Not me! Who needs clean air? Not me! Who wants a fair paying job? Not me!

Dose anyone remember the last 200 years? I love it that we live in a world and maybe its always been this way but it seems that its all about the money! And to hell with people and the environment....its sad and its pathetic:bricks:

Everyone needs to stop and think for a second, we can go one of two ways, we can start doing the right thing and turn this ship around or we can live in our own filth and get what we all deserve a polluted world and polluted people.It doesn't have to be this way, we can pay a fair wage to EVERYONE AND HAVE A CLEAN ENVIRONMENT Yes it means a little less money and power but its means a lot more to us as a whole and as a world.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think Apple is considered a "hip" enough corporation that we don't have to hate them.

6. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +352 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

If that is the case, does it matter? If someone can't afford it they don't buy it. If enough people can't afford it Apple will have to lower prices.

The price is determined by what people are willing to pay for it.

7. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +347 / 7 / -4

OT:

Maybe he was, but it sounded to me like a critique of the people buying them, regardless of their financial positions.

I think supply / demand is all that's relevant when talking about a company's product line being "overpriced."

It isn't simply brand identification, as that implies the products are being bought solely for a label. There probably is some of that, but even in those cases, there's clearly value to the label.

There's also value what is associated with the label -- ease of use, for example.

And finally, there are things like styling, which may not matter or have the same value for some people as for others.

But what each of those gets to is that a given apple product may be overpriced for a particular consumer, not that the products in general are overpriced. (I suspect the 4S with 32 GB is overpriced for me. But if they sell millions of them, the market is making it clear that the price is just fine.)

8. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What if you can't have both a fair wage and the costs of a clean environment?

9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Don't put mercury in the trash!
    Don't put mercury in the trash!

10. Ilikehappyppl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Excuse are like A-Holes everyone has one.....

Not only can we handle both, we have to in order for us to survive and our world to survive. I know the some other countries in our world don't like to play by the rules, that's the real problem, if everyone had to play by the same rules by the same standards of clean air/water and wages, it fixes almost everything.

I know why people go to other places, you can pay less for the work and you don't have to worry about the environment, this isn't about costs this is about greed! If apple decided to build their products over here, they would not only still make a profit but do very well for them and their shareholders, this is about greed! More money! Plan and simple!

Now not everyone is Apple but Nike and a slew of other big bizz are over there American Corporations in China

They can all still turn a profit and clean up the environment and pay a fair wage, this is about greed! Now if everyone played by the same rules they could even make more but that a "what if"

11. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +300 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

See my post in the "What would you grade Obama" thread. This premise is generally speaking false. Yes manufacturing is done elsewhere because it is cheaper and less regulations (ie to increase profits (Greeeeeeeeeeeeeed). But NO company would make the money they make manufacturing in America that they make elsewhere. Period. End of story. Their costs would rise, causing the price of their goods to rise, thus dropping the demand for their goods, thus lowering their profit. Its pretty simple economics really.

You still going to buy those nice new sneakers at $250 a pair??? Doubt it.

This isnt to say that greed isnt causing most of our problems. I agree with you there. But to say "oh shucks, if they would just come here and do it everyone would be better of" is crazy talk, plain and simple.

PS Apple makes their products in China just to be clear. Just pull out your trusty Ipod/Ipad/Iphone right there on the back of it.

12. Ilikehappyppl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's funny....so no one here makes good money vmanufactures in the USA?

What about Boeing?
    What about silicon valley?
    What about Viking appliances?

And a few more I could add if you would like.....

First off it wouldn't be that much second, I would not mind paying more if it meant we had jobs over here, I won't shop at wall mart yea I pay more for my food but I support local bizz.....its simple economics really;)

Yeah, I know that....whats your point? lol:rolleyes: They could be building over here still making a killing and doing well for themselves....God garry! We only made 200 billion instead of 300 billion what the fack will we do! How can I feed my family off 200 billion!

Edit: Also they wouldn't need to raise there prices that much, just don't pay your top so much, cut cost by getting rid of wasteful spending.

13. Drewski

Ratings:
    +300 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Well I admit that not all manufacturing is outsourced, but it also depends on the skill level needed for your good. Planes, computer chips and the like require highly skilled labor forces. Not exactly the same as shoes, clothes, toys etc. Kinda apples to oranges.

OK, believe want you want to believe. I can speak for shoes, per my example in the other thread. The price of the shoes doubles each time it changes hands (ie 100% markup) so a shoe that costs 10 bucks to make in Indonesia (at a labor rate of 66 bucks/a month) would costs significantly more to produce if you are paying 7/hour. 7(dollars) * 40 (hours a week) * 4 (weeks in a month) = $1120 a month at 7/hour. That is 1700% increase in wage costs. Not to mention costs associated with regulations etc etc etc.

So if the math remained the same (ie companies pass the cost along in the process) a shoe that cost 60 dollars to buy (which is made in Indonesia) would cost $960 made in the USA.

I realize I am over simplifying it. But that is the math that goes into what you pay for a shoe. You dont agree, that is fine.

And the Apple comment was in reference to what seemed like you were saying well Apple isnt there, but Nike and a bunch of other big cos are. I appologize for misreading your comment.

14. Drewski

Ratings:
    +300 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

15. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

he was also a pot-smoking Buddhist...

I know this is hard for cons here to actually understand, but there's an enormous gray area between them and the far left. People don't have to adhere to every aspect of one side on the left-right axis.

16. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Huh? I just hate it when someone dies and they put that person on a pedestal. From the title of the thread, it infers Steve Jobs was a great friend of the Right..........you sure on that?

17. BSR

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

The problem is that people can't afford it and are buying it anyway. Whats more is that they really don't even need it.

18. BSR

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

People paying more for an Apple then an Andriod because of styling and ease of use are purely falling for marketing spin. Its the definition of overpriced.

19. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +347 / 7 / -4

It's really not.

Some people care about styling. The fact you or anybody else doesn't care about it doesn't mean it has no value.

"Ease of use" isn't simply marketing. It's also word of mouth, as well as product reviews, and the bottom line is that Apple products do tend to be easy to use. That isn't mere spin. Somebody earlier mentioned their mother and the iphone. My mother was able to use it as well as her apple laptop without any trouble, and they were the first "smart" phone and computer she had used extensively.

You can dismiss those things all you want, but the fact of the matter is that they have value to people even if they don't have value to you. The market has made it clear that the pricing of the iPhone, at least, really isn't a problem.

20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Whuh huh? Wanting a product more (and therefore being willing to pay more for it) because it has better styling and is easier to use is someone "falling for marketing spin"? :confused: