Welcome to PatsFans.com

Steve Jobs -- maybe not a great friend to the Left?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by khayos, Oct 21, 2011.

1. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Interesting tidbits:

Jobs also told Obama that “regulations and unnecessary costs” put the United States at a competitive disadvantage with China, where companies can build factories more cheaply.

The recently deceased Jobs also told Obama that the education system was “crippled by union work rules,” according to Isaacson. Jobs proposed principals be able to hire and hire teachers based on merit, and to extend the length of both the school day and year.

Steve Jobs biography: Did Apple CEO warn Obama? - Tim Mak - POLITICO.com

2. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -2

#11 Jersey

Can't recall Jobs ever being called a "great friend to the Left." Do you know if Apple has ever manufactured their overpriced hardware in the USA?

3. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +275 / 3 / -3

They sure sell a lot for them being "overpriced"... :)

4. Gainzo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -2

#11 Jersey

They sure do! I've never been a fan of Apple products but have nothing against Steve Jobs. They were like Sony were every piece of hardware needed to be from them.

Things have changed in the last 10 years when it comes to their desktops/laptops but prior to that it was extremely hard to find 3rd party hardware that was compatible with an Apple computer.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  5. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +275 / 3 / -3

OT: My only apple product has been my iPhone -- though I haven't upgraded since buying it 3 years ago because of their pricing strategy. (I know what I want in terms of GB and it's never at my price point.) Love the product, though.

6. Gainzo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -2

#11 Jersey

Apple has a fantastic business plan when it comes to iPhones, iPads, etc. Can't replace the battery and they release a new version every 12 months. Also helps that they have a hardcore fan base that will buy anything they sell no matter the price.

With their high prices and low manufacturing costs they must have the highest profit margins in the Industry.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Steve Jobs is certainly no prince of the left...

Apple computers are the most UN-environmentalcomputers on the market
    Apple computers are the most OVERPRICED computers on the market
    Apple computers are manufactured in China, maximizing profits

(sent from my iphone)

8. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

OT:

Sounds as if you have a 3 or 3s iphone. Don't buy the iphone 4 or 4s,a s the battery life is about as crappy as it gets. The innovation that JObs and Apple created is ease of user interface, one button and some icons. The rest is bells and whistles which drain the battery at a record pace. I'd say wait for the iphone 5 and see how it treats battery life. I have a 3G and am due for an upgrade. Its not gunna happen, I am sticking with what works.

9. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +275 / 3 / -3

OT: 3s or 3G sounds right

I'd like to get the 4 if it were at my price, don't really need the latest and greatest but it's all that's offered now w/32 GB

Didn't know that re the battery, but not sure if it would matter to me, either. The couple reviews I've read (Mossberg in the journal, 1 other) didn't say anything memorable re battery. I have mine plugged in so much that battery rarely matters. I could see it being a problem if you travel a lot, maybe, especially when you forget a charger.

10. Gainzo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -2

#11 Jersey

Apple has a great thing going with the lack of a removable battery so I doubt they will change that anytime soon.

My friend was over a few weeks ago with his wife to watch the Pats game.

He is a fan of another team and was watching that game on his iPhone. The thing was fully charged and lasted about 60 minutes. Since he was at my place he didn't have his charger. He was ticked off as he had only had his iPhone for a couple of months.

As more and more video content is available on smartphones, Apple may have an issue against the Droid and even Windows phones. At least I can put a new battery in my phone if it dies (yes I do have a spare battery for my LG phone).

11. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +275 / 3 / -3

OT: That's one example of where it doesn't matter so much for me. I'll watch videos, etc., occasionally, but I mostly use it for phone, mail and internet. and for music on flights (which is why I want the 32GB now) I can't imagine watching a game or movie on it -- wouldn't be enjoyable for me (I can barely watch extended videos on my laptop)

12. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV

Mrs Diver has a 4 for work...and hates it. Thing loses charge overnight while doing nothing.

13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +431 / 12 / -27

Guess Steve Jobs was probably more of an independent than anything else..

Steve Jobs Called Fox News a 'Destructive Force in Our Society'

14. BSR

BSR In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0

If he had a droid, more then likely you would have had a compatible charger available for him. Droids use standard micro USB and you probably had one or two in the house from kids games, camera's or the like.

Steve Jobs is a great innovator and Apple has some excellent products but they certainly aren't the best product out there anymore. Right now there are several droid products that are better than the iphone 4s. The new Samsung Nexus Prime coming out in November is faster, thinner, lighter with a bigger screen and 4G as opposed to Apple's 3G. Its beyond me why anyone would buy the inferior Apple product.

15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +417 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

I think that's because Americans have become so simple-minded we think we need foolish stuff like an I-Pad or whatever the latest technology for simple minded folk may be.

Just watch whenever Apple or any other co. comes out with something new, all the dopes will line up outside the store at 3am! Pretty sad....

16. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +417 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

I still have a "flip-phone" cell. All I need it for is to make a phone call.

17. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +245 / 5 / -4

#75 Jersey

18. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Android FTW!!!

While we all owe Mr. Jobs a debt of gratitude for what his innovations brought us in the world of technology, Android is for me. Out of box cutomization, extended customization by rooting, flash capabilities, good battery life (I rock a Droid X currently), on a full charge, and undervolting, I get two days off a charge. Not to mention with Apple products, most software upgrades require you to buy a new phone (see iPhone 3-> 3s, 4->4s) while Android phones just get the new features sent via OS update.

Im not an iPhone hater, as it is a quality product. That being said, like I tell all my iPhone buddies, "if your mom can use your iPhone, you need to get a real phone".

Can't wait for the Galaxy Nexus.

19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +431 / 12 / -27

Isn't that good for the economy????

20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm not one of these Apple fanatics; I think their better-than-thou attitude is quite sad actually. I just simply buy the best products on the market. When it comes to personal computers, the best product is not an Apple (and, as I am currently discovering, the best product is not a Dell either).

When it comes to cell phones, the overall best product is indeed an iPhone. Of course the iPhone has the unfair (and some could argue illegal) advantage of being bundled with an iPod, which is the best mp3 player.

However the iPhone is far from perfect. My 3G was practically unusable once they upgraded the software to iOS4. So I had little choice but to upgrade to the iPhone 4, which I was completely and totally happy with. I have since then upgraded the phone (and the operating system) again, but must confess I am feeling totally underwhelmed by the iPhone 4S and iOS5. I am not seeing any sort of significantly improved reception or speed, and I just don't care for voice controls so I don't think Siri is anything special either.

I'm thinking of getting an iPad2, but only because I'll be getting it for free. Though it should be noted that the fact that I can get one for free and still haven't taken the time to actually get it shows how enthusiastic I am for it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011