PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

STEVE GROGAN: Russ Francis' hands 'might have been a little bit better' than Gronkows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: STEVE GROGAN: Russ Francis' hands 'might have been a little bit better' than Gron

In fairness though....Grogs never played with Gronk...that is really how you know how "GOOD" a receivers hands are in catching the ball. I think Francis was Awesome....but Gronk is a different beast.....he has more vertical speed than Russ and incredible hands and clutch catching ability....IF he can stay healthy....Gronk will be the better TE when his career is over.......To me, Francis made good to great catches.....Gronk makes UNREAL and phenomenal catches against MUCH BETTER COMPETITION....that's the difference

UOTE=PatsWickedPissah;3225866]Francis may have had better hands. I saw him play and didn't think so but Grogs should have a better idea.
If so, something for The GronkMonster to work on. This has been his worst year with drops and he's still Stellar.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Re: STEVE GROGAN: Russ Francis' hands 'might have been a little bit better' than Gron

I was just going to mention Ben "Winter" Coates as he was perhaps the 3rd best TE in Pats history.....I would have to rate them GRonk, Francis, and then coates.....Coates was INCREDIBLE in his years here and was Bledsoe's Binky when he NEEDED to make a play.....absolutely great TE and Patriot!!!

From 93-98, Coates was close to that level. I will submit that if you put Francis in his prime in a pass-happy offense such as the one Coates played in his numbers may be similar but they were different players in terms of style, etc.

Francis made good to great catches.....Gronk makes UNREAL and phenomenal catches against MUCH BETTER COMPETITION....that's the difference

Why is the competition Gronk faces better than the players Francis played against? Think about the relativity of the players and the era in which they played.

It's ironic that Russ Francis was actually crazier than Gronk.... and we all know Gronk is a bit wacked (and to me that's a positive thing). Both total characters....Russ funny in a smart way...Gronk funny in a goofy way.

Best person to evaluate Gronk's hands is BB jones. :p

Brady is a better quarter back, so that lends some credence to the argument of Grogan..

Does anyone remember Howard and Dandy Don's assessment of Francis, when they captioned him "all world"????..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back