PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

STEVE GROGAN: Russ Francis' hands 'might have been a little bit better' than Gronkows

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
STEVE GROGAN: Russ Francis' hands 'might have been a little bit better' than Gronkowski's
By: Ian Logue

Today's Patriots fans probably don't remember former tight end Russ Francis, but Steve Grogan had an interesting comment comparing Francis to Rob Gronkowski in this week's 'Grogan's Grade'....

Re: STEVE GROGAN: Russ Francis' hands 'might have been a little bit better' than Gron

Gronk is good, in fact Gronk is better than good, he's great.

BUT

Russ Francis was the god of tight ends. Francis was always referred to as "New Englands All World Tight End Russ Francis" :rocker:

Re: STEVE GROGAN: Russ Francis' hands 'might have been a little bit better' than Gron

Let's be realistic. Gronk's statistics blow Francis out of the water.

All Grogs said was that he thought Francis might have better hands than Gronk. He didn't say he was a better TE.

Last edited:

Francis may have had better hands. I saw him play and didn't think so but Grogs should have a better idea.
If so, something for The GronkMonster to work on. This has been his worst year with drops and he's still Stellar.

Francis was a great TE.

But Gronk is on track to be a HOFer, which Francis isn't. Francis had 40 TDs in 13 years and Gronk has 34 in 2.5. Francis may have had (very slightly) better hands, but the overall package isn't even close.

Gronks nasty All World was Nasty the fact that Gronk in his third year is already well established in the same category says wonders about how good he is.

I think that it is a compliment for Grogan to compare Gronk to Francis. That means he really respects how good of a player Gronk is. Francis was the Pats best TE of all time, till Gronk came along. Gronk is going to shatter a lot of record books. We are just so lucky to have him. And to think, we moved UP to snag him just ahead of the Ravens! That makes the pick all the sweeter! :D

Francis had better hands but Gronk makes acrobatic catches that Russ never did

I think that it is a compliment for Grogan to compare Gronk to Francis. That means he really respects how good of a player Gronk is. Francis was the Pats best TE of all time, till Gronk came along.

From 93-98, Coates was close to that level. I will submit that if you put Francis in his prime in a pass-happy offense such as the one Coates played in his numbers may be similar but they were different players in terms of style, etc.

Last edited:

Gronk's the only fellow with a chance of replacing Russ as my favorite TE.

Last edited:

We tend to forget how good past players were (not saying he was better then Gronk!). I keep remembering how the media was on Francis for taking his helmet off (he complained that it was not comfortable). Now, no one wears a helmet on the sideline.

I had a Russ Francis poster in my room growing up - he was my fav. - great player used in a very different time so I dont think you can stat compare - that said Gronk catches some pretty blistering & difficult Brady throws i dont recall Russ having to deal with from Grogan

All Grogs said was that he thought Francis might have better hands than Gronk. He didn't say he was a better TE.

Exactly.
Grogs had (has?) a better arm than TB.
Grogs was faster and more athletic than TB.
Grogs was NOT a better QB than TB.

Also, I wonder if TB could tell us who is a better TE. He was able to watch Russ Francis as a young 49er fan…and he has first hand knowledge of Gronk!

Last edited:

That is very short sighted since Francis did not play on a pass-first team, did not play with Tom Brady, and didn't play in the TE mad second millennium. Back then TEs were not utilized anything like today. I'm not sure who changed that - maybe Tony Gonzalez, I don't know, but it's different now. Russ Francis today? The sky is the limit.

Francis had better hands but Gronk makes acrobatic catches that Russ never did

Russ was a world-class athlete. Check out his Wikipedia page:
Francis qualified for The Superstars final and the World Superstars in 1980 and 1981, finishing second in the 1980 final and fourth in 1981. He won the football preliminary in 1981 and set a record of 23.91 seconds in the 50 yard swimming event. The record stood until 1986 when it was broken by Greg Louganis.[6]

Russ Francis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is very short sighted since Francis did not play on a pass-first team, did not play with Tom Brady, and didn't play in the TE mad second millennium. Back then TEs were not utilized anything like today. I'm not sure who changed that - maybe Tony Gonzalez, I don't know, but it's different now. Russ Francis today? The sky is the limit.

Great point. However, may be I recall Francis to be more awesome than "the experts" do. He didn't even make the top 10 as of 2 months ago:

Top 10 NFL tight ends of all time - Sports - The Boston Globe

Well I've seen both play and I have to disagree with Grogan.
Gronk has better hands.

I saw Francis play and now Gronk. Two great TEs in their own right. Grogan to Francis was so cool to watch as Brady to Gronk is now. I'm fortunate enough to see both combos.

I attended the first Pats game ever with my Dad in 1960. I've seen everyone. Russ Francis was great, and I don't use that term loosely. But, Steve Grogan is suffering from old timers' recollection on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes