Welcome to PatsFans.com

Steve DeOssie proves Ron Paul's point

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mcgraw_wv, Feb 9, 2012.

1. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Many times I have tried to argue the point that Ron Paul's issue with the Civil Rights Act infringed on business owners rights and freedom to do what they wish with their personal property ( their business ).

The lastest story about Steve DeOssie, and the Patriots brings the point perfectly home.

To Re-Cap, Steve DeOssie was filmed dogging the Patriots before the Super Bowl, saying how stranded he felt living up there and his heart is in NYC. Mr. DeOssie's income comes from hope people in New England watch and listen to his opinion about the Patriots, and he has a eating establishment as well.

Now that everyone has seen this video, there is wide spread boycot from people in New England for anything DeOssie related ( Good!!! )

The point here is, if we didn't mandate rules to business owners, people would showcase their problems and you can make a better informed decision on where to spend your money. Ron Paul believes that if a racist wants to open a place for only white people, he should be able to do that, but he also realizes that a business model which only serves a small fraction of the consumers will have a hard time competiing in this economy.

Many people who spend their money at places today, don't know what the owner real feels, because it's illegal to say that in today's business environment.

Like DeOssie, when the public knows a little more about the owner, and their views, they can make a much better and informed decision.

The Decision is to avoid supporting a man who actively hates ( by his own words ) the region he lives and makes money in. Do you want to support someone, who dislikes being in New England?

It's a great lesson, and I full support boycotting this man. This is liberty.
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

It's not illegal for a business owner to say what he feels.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

All of the stuff that has come out since the Super Bowl has gotten beyond ridiculous.. Gisele's comments, Tuck's Comments, Bradying, The Butterfingers Episode on Copley Square, Gronk & Light Dancing.. shows our tendency as a society to get stuck on stupid, and rely on videos from cell phones.

Football is a game, that is all. While there are those who praise Ron Paul in this "political moment", have to wonder where a person's right to privacy starts and where it ends. A lot of this stuff may have been kept private in days gone past, but now everything is public.. there needs to be some respect for a person's privacy, bottom line is people can say what they want to say privately without being scrutinized by the general public.
  4. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I don't believe there was anything private about what he did. He was on a mic yelling it.

Also... This is the point I am making. Some people rather just have people hide their issues so everyone can keep going on with their lives with their head in the sand.

I rather KNOW what behaviors I am re-enforcing. Your patronage of businesses, and media is a vote of confidence to continue to operate as is. I believe everyone should follow up with a vote of no confidence by not spending money with him.

Let him go to NYC and make money there. ( Again I don't live there )
  5. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

It's funny that you raised that point. It was a point of major discussion in the last few years here in Philly when the owner of Geno's Steaks put up a sign that said, " This is America, speak English". He never refused service to anyone, even if they didn't speak English, but the city tried to charge him with violating the fair practices code.

Philadelphia's Geno's Steaks Adopts English-Only Ordering Policy | Fox News

Randomn3ss — Speak English sign at famous Philly steak shop legal
  6. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

I remember that controversy. Not surprising that government officials tried to extend their control even further, but they lost. and good thing they did -- what would be next, forcing businesses to have multilingual employees?

(what I was referring to, though, was an owner's free speech, separate from the business. for ex, if the Geno's owner had told a reporter that people should only order in English.)
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

There is an openly racist & anti-gay barber on Rt 123 in Norton, MA. He has one of those little "negro-statues" of a guy holding a lantern and he calls it his Obama.

I only went there once and haven't gone back since. Strangely, his shop is still open, so there must be people in this area who are like him.

Besides, there is no law against him being openly racist.

But I wouldn't mind going back and punching him just once....:D