PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steve Beauharnais

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreatestEVER

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
By no means am I claiming that Steve Beauharnais is a HOFer.

I have had the idea since he was drafted that the guy may be Spikes eventual replacement, but looking at some of his highlights I see a much more fluid linebacker who can drop into coverage really well while still being and effective player against the run.

Ultimate Steve Beauharnais Highlights | HD - YouTube

All the reports I read on this guy are positive, does anyone know why he dropped?

Well he would certainly seem to be competing with Fletcher for the ILB/coverage LB job.

He will need to perform well on ST's to displace Fletcher.

Well he would certainly seem to be competing with Fletcher for the ILB/coverage LB job.

He will need to perform well on ST's to displace Fletcher.

This, and maybe insurance, if Fletcher gets injured.

He had a really good combine. Compare to the supposedly ultra athletic Alec Ogletree (who admitedly had a disappointing combine but still went in the first round for his athleticism) :

Ogletree was 2 inches taller but they weighed the same (Ogletree was 2 pounds heavier)
Ogletree did better in the 40, 4.7 to 4.84.
10 yd split was almost equal (Ogletree 1.6, Beauharnais 1.63)
Bench about the same (20 for O, 19 for B)
VJ about the same (33.5 for O, 33 for B)
Long jump, O outjumped B by 4 inches
Shuttle, B did better 4.2 compared to 4.39
3 Cone, B did better, 6.99 compared to 7.16.

So there's very little difference, Ogletree had a better 40 and long jump along with a few marginal wins. But Beauharnais was better in the quickness. And, of course, Beauharnais doesn't have the issues (drug test failed, recent DUI that Ogletree has). 1st round vs. 7th round.

Interestingly, despite Spikes' horrible 40 time he had a very impressive 6.97 three cone time. Beauharnais out jumped him by quite a bit but up and long so he seems like the better athlete.

Looking at the numbers - I have no clue why he went in the 7th round.

B actually compares well with Mayo in terms of the combine.

About the same size, Mayo outran him by a good amount in the 10, 20, 40. But B outdid Mayo in the VJ, Long Jump, Shuttle and 3 Cone (Mayo had a not very impressive 7.31 3 Cone.

Same with the comparison to Arthur Brown, same size, Brown out ran him but Beauharnais out jumped and out quicked him.

B is actually very interesting, I'd love to know why he dropped (and wasn't ranked higher than the 4th round or so going in). I know ILB aren't highly valued but still.

I have had the idea since he was drafted that the guy may be Spikes eventual replacement, but looking at some of his highlights I see a much more fluid linebacker who can drop into coverage really well while still being and effective player against the run.

Thanks, I like these highlight clips. Helps to remind me that 7th rounders and UDFA's are all still incredible athletes with the potential for success in the NFL.

The play starting at 1:26 is a little understated, but is one of my favorites in the video. He just seemed to process everything that happened on the blitz so quickly - where the runner was going, where the blocker was going, where his teammate was going... and made an adjustment to make the TFL. He finished the job of collapsing the pocket instead of allowing another instant for the passer to get rid of the ball or escape the pocket and head downfield.

ST ability will determine whether he is on the 53 this year.

I think Beauharnais makes the team just for the fact that White is gone and he is an upgrade over the other ILB backup Rivera.

It may actually come down to Fletcher or Beauharnais depending on how many DL they decide to keep. Which I wouldn't be surprised if Beauharnais beats out Fletcher

I'll preface this by saying that I have absolutely no clue about Steve Beauharnais' abilities, and I have zero scouting ability so I have no clue what I'm talking about here....

That said, my guess is that every draftable player has a good highlight video. The question is, what do they do on the other plays? I have to assume that he wasn't consistent, and that the plays shown are representative of his upside but not his usual level of play. That makes him a risk. Similar to how Dan Connelly has a 70 yard punt return highlight, but I wouldn't spend a 3rd round pick on him as a punt returner.

Whoa, stop the presses. Beauharnais might actually be a good athlete and football player?

And here we were led to believe it was some giant Rutgers consipiracy, with Steve Belichick being the triggerman and unduely influencing the draft selections this year. :p

Check out the clips:

Bo, as I'd call him (since beau is pronounced that way), seems to be the guy who fires up the defense. And he has an outside shot of making it if he plays up the level of competition he will be facing at the NFL. Physically I think he has enough to hang in there at ILB. Good Spikes insurance for a late round pick. Hopefully Bo gets it, but if he doesn't he only cost us a 7th.

I am trying to go through the Senior Bowl highlights for evidence of Beauharnais (as well as Dobson and Collins) but I think this could be a very underrrated pick up. Duron Harmon mentioned Steve was the leader of that defense in his audio interview and he looks like he loves playing the run and sifting through traffic from the limited plays I have seen.

I think Beauharnais makes the team just for the fact that White is gone and he is an upgrade over the other ILB backup Rivera.

It may actually come down to Fletcher or Beauharnais depending on how many DL they decide to keep. Which I wouldn't be surprised if Beauharnais beats out Fletcher

I strongly feel that there's room for both Fletcher & Bo. In fact, they are already the 4th- & 5th-best LBs on the roster. (The others: Mayo, Spikes, Hightower, Collins) The rest of them aren't worth a 53-man spot.

I strongly feel that there's room for both Fletcher & Bo. In fact, they are already the 4th- & 5th-best LBs on the roster. (The others: Mayo, Spikes, Hightower, Collins) The rest of them aren't worth a 53-man spot.

It will make for interesting camp competition for sure. Bo would probably be an upgrade over a guy like Koutovides. His best chance to stick initially is special teams with upside to develop into a rotational player.

I haven't a clue why you think that is an upgrade over Koutouvides as a special teamer (or Rivera or Tarpinan). You are correct that winning a special team roster spot would be the best way for him to make the 53.

It will make for interesting camp competition for sure. Bo would probably be an upgrade over a guy like Koutovides. His best chance to stick initially is special teams with upside to develop into a rotational player.

Kouto, Rivera & Tarp have now been replaced with Fletcher, Collins & Bo, all 3 of whom will play
most of the core 4 STs as well as in certain defensive packages. Kouto, Rivera & Tarp couldn't
be trusted to play even one snap of defense in a game that mattered. Good riddance.

This guy is going to be a fixture in the middle of this defense in the near future. Love this pick out of all the Rutgers guys.

Any LB that can cover is ok with me, definitely one of the more underrated needs on this team and I think we are filling it nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots