PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sterling Sharpe "A secondary like the Pats makes me think I can come back and play"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sterling Sharpe "A secondary like the Pats makes me think I can come back and pla

What I guess I don't understand is why these professional commentators haven't updated their shpeil about the Pats D since it started playing noticeably better the past month.

Yes, anyone can criticize the pass D from the Indy game or the run D from the 1st qtr of the game at Denver, but what about the past month? Don't they realize that most fans understand it's a different Patriots defense now? It makes them look so uninformed.

They did. They spoke about how well the defense has been playing and even showed a nice screen shot of the comparison with regular season defensive numbers and how much they've improved in the playoffs.

I remember Baldinger specifically talking about how well the defense has been playing and said they will continue to grow into a better defense. I think we are getting a better name thus far but we still have holes of course. Little by little, we'll get there

Re: Sterling Sharpe "A secondary like the Pats makes me think I can come back and pla

I am gonna reply to this thread and it only in terms of the media.

There is only one way to stop them from all their jibber jabber...show up on Sunday.

All you gotta do is show up on Sunday, the rest will take care of itself...

They're really not that bad.

I mean - the secondary is the reason that the Pats made the SB, if you think about it.

I am gonna reply to this thread and it only in terms of the media.

There is only one way to stop them from all their jibber jabber...show up on Sunday.

All you gotta do is show up on Sunday, the rest will take care of itself...

The problem is, on Monday, if the Pats win, the same folks will be saying that they only beat the 9-7 Giants, and SF NO or GB probabaly would have beat them.

Sterling Sharpe is one of maybe 3 talking heads who said the pats will be in the SB befor the playoffs even started so he's not a patriot hater he just calls it as he sees it
Then he need effing glasses...

Funny, but throughout the season, most on this board were saying the same things about the secondary. Why are we surprised that others are criticizing them.

Funny, but throughout the season, most on this board were saying the same things about the secondary. Why are we surprised that others are criticizing them.

Because this secondary isn't the same as the secondary we had for most of the season?

Well, it's not really rocket science. It doesn't take a genius to see that the possibly worst match up for us in this game is Giant Passing O and our secondary...... They will get yards on us.

I do think we can offset that some upfront against their weaker O-line.

Overstating it for dramatics..... But it's a valid concern headed into the game.

Which means (I think) that we'll constantly see the Giants offense in the red zone after we've not allowed any big plays to the speedy receivers but let them catch every pass they desired.

Than the Pats play aggressive D when the field is short, hoping to stuff runs and have Sterling Moore bat down caught TD passes. It will make for some good, nail-biting, high anxiety, entertaining television for sure.

Because this secondary isn't the same as the secondary we had for most of the season?

What do you see as the big difference besides having a healthy Pat Chung?

Look, I know Chung missed half the regular season games, but it's not like the secondary was killing it in the games he played. He was back there in several games that we gave up huge yards, Steelers, Dolphins, Chargers, Buffalo.

Anyone see and hear Sterling's bash on the Pats secondary on the NFLN playbook segment?

He says the Pats secondary makes him think he can come back even now and make plays again.

Sterling Sharpe is 46 years old :rolleyes:

The insults are coming from every direction.....Sterling is as big a jerk as brother Shannon.

The bash fest continues....54 hours until kickoff.

I don't get the issue here. Does anyone here really think this defensive backfield could stop Sterling if he didn't have to worry about his neck and got himself back into playing shape?

Last edited:

I don't get the issue here. Does anyone here really think this defensive backfield could stop Sterling if he didn't have to worry about his neck and got himself back into playing shape?

I think it comes off a belittling them and is just more piling on cause it's all the rage in the media. Pats are being singled out. He didn't say this about Green Bay's defense for example.

Hey at least he speaks English unlike his brother, Mushmouth.

Last edited:

Secondary is young and OK. I am not sure how they'll play but I know this much. Ihedgbo will walk off with a minor injury at some time during the game and then come back in several plays later...

I think it comes off a belittling them and is just more piling on cause it's all the rage in the media. Pats are being singled out. He didn't say this about Green Bay's defense for example.

The reason people think the Patriots defensive backfield really sucks is because the Patriots defensive backfield really sucks. The Patriots have a bunch of guys who don't belong in the league (as defenders and/or starters) back there, but they are coached well. Even so, a guy like Flacco put 300 yards up against them, despite missing open receivers all game long.

It's not a question of whether they're good, because they're not. It's a question of whether they can be good enough for one more win.

I really, really, genuinely wish that Sterling would give it a shot.

What do you see as the big difference besides having a healthy Pat Chung?

Look, I know Chung missed half the regular season games, but it's not like the secondary was killing it in the games he played. He was back there in several games that we gave up huge yards, Steelers, Dolphins, Chargers, Buffalo.

Chung, no Barrett, no Guyton, no Tracy White, no Phillip Adams, and a bunch of guys who are playing at a higher level now than they were earlier in the year.

Chung, no Barrett, no Guyton, no Tracy White, no Phillip Adams, and a bunch of guys who are playing at a higher level now than they were earlier in the year.

The secondary has been helped a lot by the pass rush. Other than the two games against the Broncos, this secondary has still been giving up huge passing days in the later half of the season and the Ravens game and to QBs much worse than Eli Manning.

No Barrett, but we still have Ihedigbo/Sergio Brown.
No Adams, but we got Nate Jones/Antwan Molden.
I wouldn't call our current linebackers great against the pass.

Also, our biggest problems this year haven't necessarily been the play of our backups in the secondary, it's the starters we should be more concerned about.

The secondary has been helped a lot by the pass rush. Other than the two games against the Broncos, this secondary has still been giving up huge passing days in the later half of the season and the Ravens game and to QBs much worse than Eli Manning.

No Barrett, but we still have Ihedigbo/Sergio Brown.
No Adams, but we got Nate Jones/Antwan Molden.
I wouldn't call our current linebackers great against the pass.

Also, our biggest problems this year haven't necessarily been the play of our backups in the secondary, it's the starters we should be more concerned about.

Sergio Brown doesn't see the field unless someone gets injured.
Nate Jones and Molden are probably both better than Adams.
Linebackers aren't great against the pass, but have gotten better.

Plus there's also McCourty moving to safety and Sterling Moore's emergence, which has also made a difference.

I don't think they're going to shut Eli down by any means, but I do expect (hope for) strong red zone defense and a turnover or two.

3/4ths of our base DBackfield - McCourty, Arrington, Chung - isn't bad.
After that, however, things get dicey.
Molden & Nate Jones, though not real good, at least have valuable experience under their belts.
Either Sterling Moore is emerging, or he's going through a flash in the pan streak, which I hope
continues for one more game.
While Diggy's football journey is compelling, he really shouldn't be taking snaps on defense,
exc. in short-yardage situations.
It's needless to say that I'd much, much, much rather have Jimmy Sanders & Darius Butler
than the excreble pair of Sergio Brown & Mal Williams.
And Bill should never, evah, have allowed DaShon Goldson to leave Foxborough without
signing on the line that is dotted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back