Welcome to PatsFans.com

Stereotypes, where do they come from and are they at least partially rooted in truth?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Turd Furguson, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We all know the major stereotypes out there regarding whites, blacks, jews, asians, latinos, gays, southerners, liberals, conservatives etc....

Where did they come from and how much truth is there in them?

What are some of the stereotypes you've heard about and perhaps seen behavior/actions that reinforce them?

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

Re: Stereotypes, where do they come from and are they at least partially rooted in tr

It is written in the "Street Persons Dictionary"

Stereotype
    Telling it like it is.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +692 / 20 / -30

Re: Stereotypes, where do they come from and are they at least partially rooted in tr

Anecdotally, my parents started a lot of stuff. Remember when I was a kid, and going to camp, my mom marking my stuff with a "china" pen. Thought about it later, and realized it had to do with Chinese doing laundry. When we went to the movies did not sit in ....er heaven, aka the balcony. I am sure my parents did not mean harm, but some of that stuff stuck with me. I guess a lot of what we hear from is the family.

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

Much of the slang that was used a few years back came from the habits different nationalities had and from the shortening of certain countries names, I can't give an example because the thread will be closed.

There is one though that still baffles me, if it is permissable to call a Swedish person a "Swede" why is it wrong to call a Japanese person a "Jap"

Swede is short for Swedish, Jap is short for Japanese :confused:

Canadian "Canuck"
    British "Brit"
    American "Yank"
    Newfoundland "Newfie"
    All Permissable :confused:

5. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What happens with stereotypes is you often find they're true for a certain group of people, and then you meet another group of people of the same race/religeon/nationality and want to make that stereotype fit even when it doesn't. Then people end up gerrymandering their stererotypes. It's why you find people prejudiced against black people who still have a few black friends ("Oh well, they're not like other blacks.")

6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +689 / 17 / -18

#24 Jersey

The problem with stereotypes for me is when they move from the general to the specific. I think they're generally true but not for every individual.

I think blacks are better athletes than white. On average. But not every black is a better athlete than every white.

I think whites are better parents than blacks. On average. But not every white is a better parent than every black.

And so on.

7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +689 / 17 / -18

#24 Jersey

My wife was born in the U.S. and has never left the country but genetically she's 100% Japanese. I once said something about a Jap and discovered it wasn't appreciated. Whatever, I don't care. I was born in England, she can call me a Limey or whatever else, I don't care.

Grow some thicker skin and move on, I say.

8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +689 / 17 / -18

#24 Jersey

Southerners being stupid was reinforced for me when some hick from Tenessee called ESPN Radio upset because the Volunteers had to pay in the Outback Bowl - why should they have to play in Australia he asked ? :D

Then the hosts went on to discuss how it's a good thing the Volunteers weren't in the Sun Bowl (it would be awfully hot at that game) or the Sugar Bowl (playing football in a bowl of Sugar ?).

Good stuff.

9. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

There are very few stereotypes that are true over a wide range of a race, sexual preference, etc. Other then these few exceptions, steriotypes are generally not true.

My view on it =
    If a stereotype applies to a majority of a group of people, then yes - it is true.