PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stephen Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Anyone ever see this guy play,this year when he wasn't injured or in college?

Never heard of him until the jets drafted him.

Could he be troublesome to deal with?

He is tall and fast. Always a problem around here.

He's been pretty nonexistent aside from week 1 though. Had some dropsies.

Targetted 18 times, caught 8 balls this season. Played four games, shut out two (although hurt towards the end of the Miami game). Take away his game vs. the Buffalo (6 catchs for 89 yards and two TDs) and he has had 3 catches for 23 yards in the three other games he has played. That is what you need to know about him. Hands of stone.

Last edited:
Have to be honest, coming out of college I wanted the Pats to draft Hill. Then I read up on him, and though he's big with great speed, there were major concerns about his route running. Georgia Tech was a running team, and basically just told Hill to run deep pass patterns (go routes, etc). So I changed my mind, I didn't want the Pats to draft him. Well, I was wrong, I noticed his first exhibition game with the Jets, he was running some crisp precise routes. That, combined with his size, and great speed, makes him a very dangeous weapon, especially in the red zone. I will say, he does drop some easy passes once in a while, but then again, so did Jerry Rice back in the day (not comparing them, just saying). Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to be honest, coming out of college I wanted the Pats to draft Hill. Then I read up on him, and though he's big with great speed, there were major concerns about his route running. Georgia Tech was a running team, and basically just told Hill to run deep pass patterns (go routes, etc). So I changed my mind, I didn't want the Pats to draft him. Well, I was wrong, I noticed his first exhibition game with the Jets, he was running some crisp precise routes. That, combined with his size, and great speed, makes him a very dangeous weapon.

That's all nice and well, but a catch can only be made if you have a QB in place who can throw. And that my friend, the Jets do not have.

Does it really matter against this secondary?

Unfortunately, Sanchez might be able to expose this defense through the air because they aren't moving the ball on the ground.

he was running some crisp precise routes.

What?

Even the Jets fans were mocking him in pre-season for being slow of the LOS and running sloppy routes!

1 trick pony with hands of stone, it will take at least another 2 years before he's even close enough to be considered a legit NFL WR.

...saying that, his speed alone will win him a ton of PI calls this weekend.

That's all nice and well, but a catch can only be made if you have a QB in place who can throw. And that my friend, the Jets do not have.

They said the same about R. Wilson and how'd that work out against this terrible secondary?

I also hear that Gregory and Chung may be out for this game, if that means much.

Last edited:
Does it really matter against this secondary?

Unfortunately, Sanchez might be able to expose this defense through the air because they aren't moving the ball on the ground.

Did you watch the Jets/Texans game? The Texans' secondary looked as bad or worse than the Pats' secondary with mediocre WRs like Schileins and Jason Hill wide, wide open down field and every time Sanchez threw deep he either grossly over/under threw the receiver or the receiver dropped the ball. Stephen Hill didn't play, but his hands are as bad or worse than the other Jets' WRs.

I said at the time of the Jets/Texans game that an average QB and receiving corp would have torn apart the Texans' secondary. And we saw the following week what a great QB and receiving corp could do to their secondary. If Sanchez and his receiving corp was average, they would have four passing TDs or more vs. the Texans in that game.

That is why I am not worried about the Jets' passing game this week. Wilson is built to exploit the Pats' secondary deep. Sanchez isn't.

They said the same about R. Wilson and how'd that work out against this terrible secondary?

I also hear that Gregory and Chung may be out for this game, if that means much.

Wilson is a great deep ball thrower. His weakness is the short and intermediary passes. The Pats showed right after they replaced Arrington with Dennard that if you take away the deep routes, Wilson sucks. If you look at the next six drives after Arrington was benched, the Seahawks punted three times, lost the ball on downs twice, and was strip sacked for a turnover. Unfortunately, they stopped taking away those routes later in the game.

Sanchez sucks as a deep ball thrower. Again, I will point to the Texans game where his receivers were wide open down the field a lot in that game and he couldn't complete passes to them.

Wilson had success because he is built to exploit the Pats' weaknesses down field. Sanchez isn't.

Also, both Gregory and Chung practiced today. Gregory says he is getting close to 100%.

Last edited:
Have to be honest, coming out of college I wanted the Pats to draft Hill. Then I read up on him, and though he's big with great speed, there were major concerns about his route running. Georgia Tech was a running team, and basically just told Hill to run deep pass patterns (go routes, etc). So I changed my mind, I didn't want the Pats to draft him. Well, I was wrong, I noticed his first exhibition game with the Jets, he was running some crisp precise routes. That, combined with his size, and great speed, makes him a very dangeous weapon, especially in the red zone. I will say, he does drop some easy passes once in a while, but then again, so did Jerry Rice back in the day (not comparing them, just saying). Hope this helps.

The guy has played four games and has 8 catches for 112 yards and 3 TDs. One of his two TDs vs. the Bills was in garbage time in the third when the Jets were already up 34-7.

Exactly how is a dangerous weapon? 8 catches for 112 yards is a good game for a dangerous WR and he has that in four games. He may turn into a dangerous weapon, but right now he is just overhyped.

Russell Wilson, as mediocre of a QB he is, can still run circles around Sanchez. Having said that, I agree, if I had to guess, they will abandon their pound and ground scheme on Sunday, and go through the air in an effort to expose our backfield.

That's good news :D

The guy has played four games and has 8 catches for 112 yards and 3 TDs. One of his two TDs vs. the Bills was in garbage time in the third when the Jets were already up 34-7.

Exactly how is a dangerous weapon? 8 catches for 112 yards is a good game for a dangerous WR and he has that in four games. He may turn into a dangerous weapon, but right now he is just overhyped.

I'm not saying what he is, I'm saying what I think he could be. He could be a scary player to play against. He has rare skills (size AND speed), and if he put it together, he can become a very dangerous deep threat for the Jets. I'm like everyone else here, I want him to become the next Johnny Lam Jones and want Coples to become the next Gholston. BUT, from what I've seen, living in enemy territory, and seeing some preseason games and regular season games, is that these 2 guys could wind up being some very good players for the Jets (unfortunately). They were swinging for the fences betting that their talents will translate into NFL talent, these were home run swings, they could be strikeouts, but from what I've seen so far, they may just actually work out. Two great talents. Not saying they won't fail, I'm Hoping they do, but I'm seeing snippets of greatness. Just being honest about what I've seen so far.

Anyone ever see this guy play,this year when he wasn't injured or in college?

Never heard of him until the jets drafted him.

He's a talented kid that came from an option offense and is behind the NFL learning curve as a result. The Patriots don't have anyone in the secondary who can handle him if he starts to 'get it', and he's got the sort of height that will allow Sanchez to play the rainbow passing game the way Wilson did. He's a first round talent and, if we're lucky, he'll drop a couple of the passes that hit him in the hands.

He'd have been a great choice for the Patriots.

Last edited:

Hell yes, he could be troublesome to deal with.

While I agree that he has been somewhat overhyped, he has also missed a game or two this year, so take that into acct when looking at his numbers.

Any NFL level WR could be troublesome to deal with against the NEP secondary, whether they have a reputable 'name' or not.

hill will probably be a great receiver...in 2 or 3 years...or when he leaves the jets.

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

He will probably burn McCourty for a 60 yard TD except that he drops it.

he can run just a strait deep route..but he isn't every good when he has to run a complicated rout

A lot of draftniks on this very board liked him. The most obvious comparison is Demaryius Thomas of the Broncos. Same exact school (Georgia Tech) and same exact physical build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots