Welcome to PatsFans.com

Stephen Hawking: I would not be alive without the NHS

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

a dumb op-ed from this week:

"People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the U.K., where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless. "

here is what Hawking said

Stephen Hawking: I would not be alive without the NHS - Telegraph

Professor Stephen Hawking defended the National Health Service from attacks by the American Right yesterday claiming that he would not be alive without it.

The British physisist spoke out after Republican politicians lambasted the NHS as "evil" in their effort to stop President Barack Obama's reforms of US health care which will widen availability of treatment but at a cost to higher earners who will pay higher insurance premiums.

"I wouldn't be here today if it were not for the NHS," he said. "I have received a large amount of high-quality treatment without which I would not have survived."

This guy is only trying to unify all scientific theories.....
  2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

We don't like elitists or ferners here. Especially not eltitist ferners.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +507 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Using a famous scientist as an example doesn't work. Just like the person who used a tour de france cyclist. What do they do for the average person is the question.
  4. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

It was Republicans who brought him up in the first place lol.

Sorry that your hysteria doesn't measure up to reality.

Every one of my relatives lives in England and they think the American system is insane, as does most of the industrialized world. Lucky for you that your fellow fanatics don't like to travel outside the country.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

As I've been discussing with my coworker (UK citizen)

They have Universal care, pay approx 25% in taxes along with a 17% sales tax. He had an appendix operation a few years back that he saw a doctor for immediatly, and a knee operation that he had to wait 4 weeks for. He said the system is top notch, and that a lot of people have supplimental insurance that runs an extra 20-50 bucks a month, mostly to cover elective or experimental surgery. He said iff you need to get a proceedure doone in Switzerland, its covered. You simply need to apply for it.

Then came my "stupid American moment"

I asked him if anyone abused the system....

he tilted his head and said "The system is for EVERYONE, so how can you abuse it?"
  6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

No, but it's important that he repudiated a fairly well-known conservative business outlet, Investors Business Daily. IBD has now dropped its idiotic Hawking's reference altogether (choosing to ignore the fact that using him as an example repudiates the main point of their editorial) but the original paragraph is of course preserved.

Ezra Klein - How Stephen Hawking Proves That Investor's Business Daily's Editorial Page Tells Lies
  7. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The main point is that in their zeal to scare people about health care reform the Investor's Business Daily crippled their own (so-called) argument with a blatantly asinine error. A pattern is emerging.
  8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Hoooo-boy!!! ...... Don't I know about THAT!!!

As you were.

//
  9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +507 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I suspect they were using Hawkins as a straw man as a generic example of what national health care would do in that care for the average person. Regardless, we are a long way away from that system, thankfully, and probably will remain so.
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +507 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I don't know what to tell you, all my relatives other than my dad and sister live in England and while I haven't discussed our system with them, I know they are not happy with theirs.
  11. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Regardless of the Hawking straw man, or how happy our relatives are in England, doesn't it give you pause that the bulk of the opposition to this bill is not aware of the bolded statement. The vast majority of the fear and hysteria is based on complete ignorance to this statement.
  12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +507 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

It has taken on a life of it's own. I'm actually thankful that it has because, left to their own devices I think obama and pelosi would have us going down a high speed track to single payer. Thanks to the uproar we may eliminate the public option completely or, if not, neuter it enough that it doesn't result in single payer - which is why I said what I said. If the bill had sailed through, though, I think single payer would have been very possible.
  13. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

So the ends justify the means is what you're saying. It doesn't matter who is on your side or why they are, as long as they accomplish what you want it's ok.

This is exactly why the right shamelessly whips these people into a frenzy by playing on their ignorant fears. As long as it accomplishes what a few elites who run the party (corporations) want, it doesn't matter how it gets accomplished.

So again, why should any of these people be listened to by someone with a brain if they're arguments are all hysterical and silly?
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +507 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

In this case, yes, because it's like that on both sides. The Republicans have put out a variety of good ideas - not in a full bill but good ideas that could be incorporated - only to be told to sit down and shut up. I would feel differently if nancy and barack's great adventure was bipartisan.
  15. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

This sounds vaguely like the "totalitarian" tactics you accuse Obama of. You are admitting you don't care whether we have an informed discussion on the topic, all you care about is whether your side wins by whatever means necessary. I hate to break it to you but that isn't democracy.
  16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

The so called "Death Panel" was a republican idea.
  17. Rossmci90

Rossmci90 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Would you say im an average person? I've had 6 operations under the NHS and have found the service to be extremely efficient and quick. I was not waiting for my operation for 6 months, it was 3 days after i was told i needed an operation.
  18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

My coworker from the UK laughs when I tell him how bad conservatives think the NHS is...

please keep telling people the truth!

Thanks Rossmci90!
  19. Rossmci90

Rossmci90 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I also need to wear glasses, and guess who pays for them, not me.
  20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

are you a Nazi?

seems to me that some on this board think that Hitler also wore glasses, which makes you a Nazi. Also I've read that Bin Laden needed a kidney operation....and ironicallly you ALSO needed an operation. That makes you a terrorist too!

You seem to be a facist, Nazi-Terrorist who wants to perform late term abortions and hates jesus!

now, don't take my gun away!!!!

NASCAR!