PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stephen Gostkowski On IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
13 yard field goal was an exaggeration to make my joke. I'm aware you can't kick a FG shorter than 17 yards. :rolleyes:

The point remains, a 35 yard FG in overtime at home in fine conditions during a regular season game isn't "clutch".

Last edited:
13 yard field goal was an exaggeration to make my joke. I'm aware you can't kick a FG shorter than 17 yards. :rolleyes:

The point remains, a 35 yard FG in overtime at home in fine conditions during a regular season game isn't "clutch".

"an extremely important or crucial moment of a game: He was famous for his coolness in pitching in the clutch."

What specific part of the definition do you feel doesn't apply to Gost's kick against the Ravens?

Oh no, a "Is Gostkowski a clutch kicker" argument

*Thinks of 4th and 13 from SB42*

Thanks guys....:(

Hope he heals fully! Must have been alot worse than we all thought!

Well he is 1 for 1 in OT.

He hit the GW winner on the road vs San Diego in the playoffs his rookie year. Made 2 FGs in the 2006 AFC Championship on the road in the 4th.

Other than that he has not been asked to kick a big kick.

Oh no, a "Is Gostkowski a clutch kicker" argument

*Thinks of 4th and 13 from SB42*

Thanks guys....:(

A kicker can only make or miss the kicks he's given.
That call simply reflects in the poor overall coaching performance that permeated that game, NOT something the kicker did or didn't do.

Now anything that isn't an extra point in overtime is clutch? Brilliant!

What does that have to do with him never making one? My response was to someone saying we'd miss him in the playoffs for late clutch kicks, which he has never made.

I'll excuse you because you probably weren't a fan yet, but how about 2006 playoffs in SD?

Losing Ghost sucks. I know some hate him, but he's one of the better kickers in the league. He also was great on kick-offs.

Graham's probably the best kicker available. I'm a bit concerned about the change especially when combined with the long snapper change.

Thank god Grahram was available, if they had to get shawn suisam I think we'd see a lot more going for it on 4th down...

Shayne Graham
Long: 53
Percentage: 85.2%

Stephen Gostkowski
Percentage: 84.3%

Shayne Graham
Percentage: 85.2%

Stephen Gostkowski
Percentage: 84.3%

And Adam Vinateri is at 82.2%

On kickoffs for touchbacks
Graham 8% 46/572
Gostkowski 19% 80/421

This is where it is going to hurt the most

Last edited:
And Adam Vinateri is at 82.2%

On kickoffs for touchbacks
Graham 8% 46/572
Gostkowski 19% 80/421

This is where it is going to hurt the most

And, BTW, to give you an idea of just how often Gostkowski has been kicking (even if it's been tons of 1s)—those stats are in 128 games and 72 games, respectively; Gostkowski has kicked off almost 6 times a game over his career, vs. ~4.5 for Graham.

I can't say for sure, but it could almost be a matter of overuse(!).

one more starter add it to the IR this is going to hurt bad on kickoffs

Well he is 1 for 1 in OT.

He hit the GW winner on the road vs San Diego in the playoffs his rookie year. Made 2 FGs in the 2006 AFC Championship on the road in the 4th.

Other than that he has not been asked to kick a big kick.

And I'd argue that his 50-yarder in the first half was even bigger than the game-winner; without that, I think that game they barely won turns into a 2010 playoff-style loss.

For me it's not just his place kicking I'll be missing it's his kickoffs.

Gostkowski is 9 for 11 in the playoffs and has had big games before. The '06 SD game he was as clutch as it comes. Starts the scoring off with a 50 yarder in the 1st quarter, brought us within 1 pt with a 34 yarder in the 3rd quarter and hit the game winning 31 yarder late in the 4th.

Don't forget the game against Indy in the '06 playoffs either. He hit 2 go-ahead FG in the 4th quarter (28 yard and 43 yard), it was the defense that blew it.

Adam Vinatieri = Clutch
Stephen Gostkowski = Above average kicker

People putting him on the "clutch" level of Vinatieri is OBNOXIOUSLY ridiculous. Kicking a 40+ yard FG in snow conditions during a playoff game is CLUTCH.

A 35 yard regular season overtime FG at fine conditions at home isn't "CLUTCH". It's being a competent NFL kicker. How is this even a convo? :confused:

Adam Vinatieri = Clutch

People putting him on the "clutch" level of Vinatieri is OBNOXIOUSLY ridiculous. Kicking a 40+ yard FG in snow conditions during a playoff game is CLUTCH.

A 35 yard regular season overtime FG at fine conditions at home isn't "CLUTCH". It's being a competent NFL kicker. How is this even a convo? :confused:

You just made the most extreme example possible. Again, it's the situation that makes it clutch. You can be down 4-1 with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th with a 0-2 count and the basses loaded and hit a grandslam walkoff HR. You could also hit a game winning single with a runner on 3rd in a tie game. Both are clutch hits. Sure, one is more impressive, but by definition they are both clutch. They both got an opportunity to win the game and they did, how they did it isn't really of importance.

Last edited:
Adam Vinatieri = Clutch

Every kicker misses big kicks, even clutch guys like Vinatieri. We all remember the big kick to beat Carolina in the Super Bowl, but who remembers the missed 31-yarder at the start of that game?

He missed a kick in the 2001 AFCCG against Pittsburgh, a game we hung on to win by one-possession. In 2003, he missed a kick when the game was tied against Tennessee in the wild-card round, a game we eventually won by only 3 points. It was quite cold that day, but 2003 overall was a very inconsistent post-season.

He went 5 for 5 against the Colts in the 2003 AFCCG, with no kicks greater than 34 yards, which helped raise his average to 7 for 10 for the 2003 play-offs including a blocked kick by Carolina.

Adam was great for us, and I'll never forget his big moments for us. But he wasn't perfect. No kicker is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing