PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stephen Gostkowski "Clutch" Kick Performance (stats)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALP

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
unfortunately i do not have them, this is more of a request

something that shows his performance when either the game is within 2 scores? or in the 4th Q/2nd half? or both?

if anyone has it i would appreciate it, faint memory tells me the results are NOT going to be good, that my memory lies sometimes

hes an amazing kicker, just when we need it most from what I recall, id like for someone to prove me wrong w/ real evidence

re: Stephen Gostkowski "Clutch" Kick Performance (stats)

Only big clutch kick I remember him making was vs the Chargers in the 06-07 division playoff game game. Can't remember the details, but it was late.

Only big clutch kick I remember him making was vs the Chargers in the 06-07 division playoff game game. Can't remember the details, but it was late.
So 2010 Ravens game winning kick in OT doesn't count?

Last edited:

Prev to today, SGostkowski had only 3 clutch attempts (last 2:00 or OT, to tie or win). Was 3-3. 2 were Wk6 2010 vs BAL to tie and win.

The other historical SGostkowski "clutch FG" attempt was the one that won that crazy playoff game vs. SD in 2006.

I don't have the stats covering as much time in the game as you are looking for but these are from someone from Football Outsiders.

FG 00:08 Adam Vinatieri 53 Yd 20 23

As far as today . But hey , Stephen is maybe a top 10 in the league in the first quarter .

Even the best with 56-0 games or the best kicker in blowouts.

So 2010 Ravens game winning kick in OT doesn't count?

Of course it counts; I just said the sd one was the only one I remember.

Not sure exactly how clutch Ghost is but here's what I know (unless I'm forgetting something):

Ghost was perfect in the 2006 postseason. He hit a game winner at SD which was a pretty long FG and had a couple more huge clutch kicks the following week that could have led to a super bowl appearance had our offense converted one first down on the second to last possession.

Ghost hasn't lost any playoff games. The closest you can say is sb42 when BB didn't have faith in him to make a 48 yarder, but that's more on BB IMo.

Before today, Ghost hasn't missed a game-deciding FG to my knowledge.

AV wasn't perfect in the clutch either. Missed a similar FG at KC in 1999 that could've made us 5-0 that year. Missed a gimme in SB38 and had another blocked which may or may not have had poor trajectory (I can't say for sure whether AV does or doesn't deserve some blame for that). Missed a big and very makeable FG in 2005 divisional round at mile high that could've cut that game to a one score lead, a huge miss at the time. Now before people jump at me, I'm not saying AV isn't better or anything like that, Ghost hasn't made the kicks he's made but at the same time he hasn't been given the chance to. But AV was not infallible as no kicker/player was. Ghost still has a chance to become a great kicker for us and until he fails consistently and in bigger games than week 2 against an NFC opponent I'm going to give him that chance.

I don't have the stats covering as much time in the game as you are looking for but these are from someone from Football Outsiders.

thanx for the quick reply....

...yea i would like to see more time, but this is also important

Ravens 2010 in OT, for one.

This isn't on Gostkowski..

Not sure exactly how clutch Ghost is but here's what I know (unless I'm forgetting something):

Ghost was perfect in the 2006 postseason. He hit a game winner at SD which was a pretty long FG and had a couple more huge clutch kicks the following week that could have led to a super bowl appearance had our offense converted one first down on the second to last possession.

Ghost hasn't lost any playoff games. The closest you can say is sb42 when BB didn't have faith in him to make a 48 yarder, but that's more on BB IMo.

Before today, Ghost hasn't missed a game-deciding FG to my knowledge.

AV wasn't perfect in the clutch either. Missed a similar FG at KC in 1999 that could've made us 5-0 that year. Missed a gimme in SB38 and had another blocked which may or may not have had poor trajectory (I can't say for sure whether AV does or doesn't deserve some blame for that). Missed a big and very makeable FG in 2005 divisional round at mile high that could've cut that game to a one score lead, a huge miss at the time. Now before people jump at me, I'm not saying AV isn't better or anything like that, Ghost hasn't made the kicks he's made but at the same time he hasn't been given the chance to. But AV was not infallible as no kicker/player was. Ghost still has a chance to become a great kicker for us and until he fails consistently and in bigger games than week 2 against an NFC opponent I'm going to give him that chance.
Excellent post. Adam's legacy was made after his snow bowl kick to tie the game against the Raiders and send it to overtime, and was cemented after he made the kick in SB36 to win the game. But there wasn't so much pressure on him that time because the game was tied. In SB38, as you have stated, he made 1 of 3 attempts and yet because he made the game winning kick (again, in a tie game) and because of the history of 2 SB game winning kicks in 3 years, some wanted to name him game MVP. (Brady broke some SB passing records in that game, IIRC.) So a lot of his reputation comes down to opportunity and luck. Excellent post.

I have no idea how may of these would be considered clutch, however, ESPN Boston posted this about Ghost. "incidentally, he had made his previous 37 fourth-quarter field goal attempts".

Gost is a great regular season kicker and when there is VERY LITTLE pressure on the table. He has made a "few clutch kicks" (will defer to those that know way more about exact stats here).....but will NEVER measure up to the caliber of Adam V when it comes to making the pressure cooker kicks. Sure, Vinny missed his share of kicks (generally early in a game if memory serves correctly) but generally the team overcame them....OR he made a game changer/saver LATE in the game. Vinny is a clutch kicker. Gost....is a good kicker....but is just NOT clutch. Next time BB (or the next coach) has a CLUTCH kicker I hope that they will PAY him.......Same thing for our top secondary players......
unfortunately i do not have them, this is more of a request

something that shows his performance when either the game is within 2 scores? or in the 4th Q/2nd half? or both?

if anyone has it i would appreciate it, faint memory tells me the results are NOT going to be good, that my memory lies sometimes

hes an amazing kicker, just when we need it most from what I recall, id like for someone to prove me wrong w/ real evidence

What happened today was significant. I'm far more concerned about him in the future. I won't trust him again in the clutch until he makes a game-breaker.

What happened today was significant. I'm far more concerned about him in the future. I won't trust him again in the clutch until he makes a game-breaker.

Two thoughts:

(1) BB never wants to win (let alone lose) a game b/c of Gostkowski (or any other K for that matter).

(2) In the grand scheme of things, letting Vinatieri walk was not a mistake: remember that the Colts have to carry two kickers. So would the Pats if he were still here.

Last edited:

I knew he was going to miss it. This guy is great when the pressure is off. He hasn't been asked to make many game winning field goals over his career simply because of the Pats dominant offense and margin of victories. When he has been asked to make a clutch field goal, this one comes to mind as does the miss in Denver a couple of seasons ago.

I don't trust this guy at all in crunch time. Learning lesson for BB and team moving forward which is if there's any chance to take the game out of Gost's hands, then do it and go for the damn effin TD.

Adam Vinatieri he is not.

Last edited:

Gost is a great regular season kicker and when there is VERY LITTLE pressure on the table. He has made a "few clutch kicks" (will defer to those that know way more about exact stats here).....but will NEVER measure up to the caliber of Adam V when it comes to making the pressure cooker kicks. Sure, Vinny missed his share of kicks (generally early in a game if memory serves correctly) but generally the team overcame them....OR he made a game changer/saver LATE in the game. Vinny is a clutch kicker. Gost....is a good kicker....but is just NOT clutch. Next time BB (or the next coach) has a CLUTCH kicker I hope that they will PAY him.......Same thing for our top secondary players......

Do you have any evidence to back your claims here? You said he's a great regular season kicker, well his % in the playoffs is way higher than his regular season % (14/16 in the playoffs, 87.5%). Before today, which clutch kicks has he missed that were any more clutch than multiple 4th quarter kicks he drilled in the '06 playoffs against San Diego and Indy?

When have the lost a playoff game because of Gost? They didn't lose today because of him. They lost today because offense sucked and the play calling was horrible.

Ghost did not lose the game he just did not win it bottom line is he's one of the best kickers in the NFL give him a brake next week the pats will take care of the overated ravens that give up almost 400 yards to mike vick

It's pretty simple. He simply hasn't been in the last second situation at all hardly. Just luck of the draw. This was a bad miss. Considering how he'd been kicking today, it's fair to say he choked. Hopefully next time he won't.

i remember BB's confidence in him to kick a 50 yarder in perfect conditions was so high with a perfect season on the line that he let a sputtering offense run a predictable failed 4th and 10+ play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back