Welcome to PatsFans.com

Stephen Colbert Takes On Congress, Sarcastically Argues for Farm Workers

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

If this isn't a primetime example of why people are so pissed off, and fed up with government, I don't know what is. Imagine some fruit cake politician thought this was a good idea, at a time when unemployment is in double digits, and the economy as a whole is in the toilet. Worse, was the fact that these people didn't realize the joke was on them. He succeeded in showing how awful the leaders in DC truly are. November can't come soon enough.

Stephen Colbert Takes On Congress, Ironically Argues for Farm Workers - ABC News

2. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Yea, I really didn't get it. Saw some clips of Colbert in character talking to Congress.......then a clip of Pelosi applauding him...........I don't think she got it either, although, in my case, I knew it was a joke.

3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,972 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

I saw it ... i think it was intended to be how it played out. Weird kind of sarcasm but i get it. Sometimes mockery is the best form of expression. Colbert pulled it off nicely ... now I'm hoping someone invites my favorite Jimmy Fallon to do a bit.

4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +448 / 12 / -14

THe cost of a congressional hearing is said to be > 100k.....

5. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +458 / 10 / -7

#91 Jersey

--------------------------------------

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

So what?
    Colbert wa sincere in his parody of everyone else who "testified" in front of congress. I agree with you to a point, but I doubt you actually get it. Your only comment on the serious issues that Colbert addressed is how much a hearing costs? Really? That's kindofa shallow rsponse. How much did it cost us when we were getting porked by Wall St in Oct of 2009? How much did it cost us for the endless srtream of crap (pun intended) from the foreign corporate criminals from BP last spring?

Before you post on this again, do us all a favor and watch the Colbert testimony in its entirety instad of regurgitating the talking points and blurbs from your media heroes at FOX. Try a little curiosity.

Edit: Typos

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

Why was the guy even there? Seriously.

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +773 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Also try to remember that you only "heard" that a congressional hearing cost more than 100K - not that it actually costs more than 100K. Try to remember that Colbert was not the only one testifying, either. There were 3 other people who spoke also.

So even if your Foxish figure is correct - that's not what was spent on Colbert like you're trying to pawn off as truthful. If your figure was correct - and I have no way of knowing if it is or not and neither do you - that would still only break down to $25,000.00 which would be quite a cut in pay for Colbert who gets upwards of $250,000.00 per appearance - and a whole lot less than anyone else would have to cough up to book him.

9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +448 / 12 / -14

I don't watch his show I don't care about his opinion either way.

10. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Great...thanks for coming in.

...so anyways...

[​IMG]

11. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Not sure, man.

It was awkward, but I like his parody of O'Rielly. When I see someone testifying in front of Congress these days, I just assume they are being sarcastic anyways, so it seemed kinda normal, sadly. How is his appearance any different than the CEO of BP except that what he ended up saying was the truth and the BP guy was bullsh!t all the way through.

I saw th reaction on FOX (day off with my little one) and their "outrage" was really the funniest part of the whole thing. Even though they got the point- they had to- they had to pretend that they were angry. They can't be that dumb.

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

No really though. Why was he there? Why did our congress, at a time when it's running trillion dollar annual deficits, with double digit unemployment, have a comedian come in and testify for even 5 minutes, on company time. What was the point of it?

13. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Really don't know. Maybe they were trying to raise their level of honesty and intelligence. Why does Congress do anything? They're dysfunctional.

14. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

15. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

16. hudlander

hudlander On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It was hilarious.
    Considering how congress wasted time on steroids and on Obama being a birther...they have no reason to, nobody does, to claim this was a waste or inappropriate.

17. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yup, hidden by a Twenty First century display of Bread and circuses...while America burns. Bet the Romans didn't see it coming either.

It's ok, people are starting to wake up. I just hope it's in time.

18. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

It was in time about 25 years ago.:eek:

19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,116 / 3 / -10

This whole administration and this whole gang of grinning pigs that now are in power in Washington are the "JOKE" they themselves are the Comedians, America wasn't laughing at at the a$s hole Colbert, they were laughing at the Rotten Scumsucking Politicians who sat there listening to the Jerk, Imagine having a son or daughter off at war in Afghanistan or Iraq fighting The Headhunters watching America's leaders sitting listening to a stupid f-cking comedian (who isn't funny) run their own country down while their loved ones may be getting their bowels blown open by some screaming smelly savage piece of sh!t.

Those filthy politician swine sitting and allowing this Colbert Creep to actually sit before them with his embarrassing attempt at comedy should make America weep with shame.

NOW YOU CAN ALL SEE WHY THE TEA PARTYS GROW LARGER EACH DAY.

STEPHEN COLBERT IS ABOUT AS FUNNY AS A BAG OF WET DOG SH!T

When "The Jug Ear Family" wants a good laugh they sit in the Rose Garden and watch their dog BO f-ck Joe Bidens right leg.

20. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Agree with the first part. Partly agree with the second part. He definitely isn't as funny as Carlin or Flip Wilson, but he's funnier than Edgar Bergin and Charlie McCarthy.