PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stephen A Smith: "Tom Brady Does Not Show Up Against Elite Defenses"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rodgers has played pretty darn well in the playoffs. Hard to say he is anything like Manning. Manning is literally something like 1-10 in fourth quarter comeback situations and probably closer to 1-20 if you count the actual number of drives he's had. He is the master of just outright failing on many levels in the postseason, and he is well known for his pick 6s in the big games.

I have no idea where all this Rodgers rationalizing is coming from. I don't think he played great against Seattle last year, and it was a game Brady would have won. That being said, his overall body of work in the postseason is nowhere near the type of failing effort that some are saying. He has only been to the postseason six times, and although you could call his play sub-par on some occasstions, the playoffs are a different beast and are difficult for pure passing offenses. We know that well. It's not like he puts up 10 points, throws pick-6s in the fourth quarter, or just suddenly becomes completely inept like Manning. No way those two are similar in the postseason. It's hard to win a Super Bowl. Brady just went TEN years without winning one. I think Rodgers, when all is said and done, improves on that playoff winning percentage, which is a fairly small sample size to begin with.

I would also add that Mike McCarthy is not Bill Belichick. This is a somewhat legitimate argument that works for Rodgers, whereas Manning's postseason failures have been his own fault, nothing to do with the coaching or defense. I'm not saying Rodgers gets a pass on everything, just that with better coaching, no doubt his postseason record improves, and with such a small sample size, one win changes it from 6-5 to 7-4, and two wins changes it to 8-3. Just saying, 6-5 is being used way too much here as some kind of iron number. Let's see his record at the end of his career.

I couldn't agree with you more on the differences between Rodgers and Manning. Peyton is clearly the king of the gagsters in the playoffs and Rodgers is much closer to Brady than to Manning.

Using your logic, if we take away the 4 playoff wins that Rodgers had in 2010, his record in the 5 other playoffs is 2-5. One of those losses is a one and done coming off of a 15-1 record. I'll give him his due in one of the other one and outs though because he put up 45 points but it wasn't enough.

Brady's numbers on the other hand look downright remarkable. Even if you take out the 12 wins he had in the 4 SB seasons, he still has an above .500 record. By the time he's done he'll have put up incredible numbers.

There's no way that anyone could have seen B&B coming.

It's all perception... players on the actual defense argued that it showed confidence in the defense to make a stop in the red zone of it didnt work out

Manning was moving the ball effortlessly all game long between the 20s.. punting it wouldn't have mattered, with 4 downs and some timeouts, he was going to move the ball into the redzone and force the defense to make a stop anyways

Going for it just gave them an extra chance to win it

I can't let this discussion go on without adding my two cents.

Let me start by mentioning the fact that no matter how great Manning may have looked, he was still the king of the gagsters. Always was and always will be in my book. Even when he got his SB ring he stunk up the joint. There was no guarantee that he would have marched them down the field if they had to take it the length of the field.

Now the actual play call.

I call it a multi-dumbentional play for a couple of reasons. When it was 3rd and 2 they used their last TO before they called a pass play that stopped the clock. That was dumb. Then when they went for it on 4th and 2 with another pass the clock still had more than 2 minutes left. That and the fact that they didn't have any more timeouts meant that there would be no replay. With an under 2 minutes replay from the officials they might have had the 1st down.

Just because Belichick is the best HC in the NFL it doesn't mean that all of his decisions are correct.

If you told me that a comment by Stephen A. Smith would spark a 8-page thread....I would've told you that we'd be overreacting.

But hey, it's a free country, right? :D

Stephen A Smith is a disaster. I had the misfortune of seeing him on ESPN a few years ago pursuing some ridiculous ...IMO... racial agenda. I decided then...that's the first and last time I watch / listen to that mentally challenged idiot.

He appeals to the have-nots I guess.

Unfortunately, race baiting is popular these days.

After being down by 10 points in Superbowl 49, in the 4th quarter, against the media anointed best defense ever...

#12: 13 out of 15, 135 yards and 2 TD's.. maybe this is all a semantical discussion and Steven A meant something completely different..

I understand what is being said but this man's logic is the epitome of a nonsensical squirrel....

What I don't get is that 14 years after his first Super Bowl, 5 more Super Bowl appearances, 3 more Super Bowl wins, 2 MVP awards, a perfect season throwing 50 TD, and people still question him?

What I don't get is that 14 years after his first Super Bowl, 5 more Super Bowl appearances, 3 more Super Bowl wins, 2 MVP awards, a perfect season throwing 50 TD, and people still question him?

Give Stephen A a call and tell him! He's secretly a Tom Brady worshiper.....

I can't believe this thread is still going about a guy that said that in certain situations, women provoke domestic violence.

He's a scumbag.

If you told me that a comment by Stephen A. Smith would spark a 8-page thread....I would've told you that we'd be overreacting.
:D

But the thread does perfectly clarify what the "A" stands for.

I can't believe this thread is still going about a guy that said that in certain situations, women provoke domestic violence.

You're saying that never happens?

Back in 2010 Smith was debating Manning vs Brady with Bayless. Smith thought he ended the debate once and for all when he brought up touchdown stats over the last couple of seasons which showed Brady way behind many quarterbacks. Idiot Bayless sat there and had no comeback. Both of them were too ignorant to realize that Brady missed 2008. This is so typical of BSPN talking heads that continuously draw conclusions out of ignorance of critical facts.

Tom Brady's stats against top 10 defenses since the start of last season.
CQAc6XkUcAApRFE.jpg

Close thread

To be fair to Stephen A. Smith, he is an imbecile, so we need to keep that in mind whenever he says something.

Chris Sims is at it again too.

http://tikiandtierney.radio.cbssports.com/2015/09/29/chris-simms-rodgers-is-top-5-qb-of-all-time/

Love this line

watch a game with Tom Brady. Most of the time, he gets the snap in the shotgun. The first guy he looks at is usually open and he throws the ball, which is great game planning by offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

Yah! Who know that getting rid of the ball and completing passes quickly and winning games and SBs was going to be used against TB to make Rodgers look better. Chris just being Chris

???

I hate picking on Chris Simms because it's clear he suffered brain damage from his career, but I really don't understand his criticism of Brady in shotgun while at the same time praising Rodgers. I'm pretty sure he didn't understand it either.

2015 Tom Brady
67 snaps in shotgun (54%), 108.7 RAT
58 snaps lone setback (46%), 124.6 RAT
YPA: 8.36
YPC: 11.6

2015 Aaron Rodgers
48 snaps in shotgun (53%), 130.2 RAT
42 snaps lone setback (47%), 125.3 RAT
YPA: 8.47
YPC: 11.5

Brady has significantly more attempts, but similar percent of plays in shotgun as Rodgers. The YPA are a touch up for Rodgers because he's completed more passes, but the yards per catch show Brady getting a touch more on his throws.

Both QBs are playing at an elite level, and I have no problem with anyone taking Rodgers over Brady, although I'll take Brady any day because of his playoff success and his ability to come back from any deficit. But I have no idea how anyone can think Brady is bad, or a system QB, or any other ridiculously moronic thing like that. It's clear there is some serious brain damage there.

Chris Simms is just bitter that he got fired, because he can't cut it as a guy who has to hit "fast forward" and "rewind" and write down what formations are.

I don't know why people give this guy a platform.

. It's clear there is some serious brain damage there.

Yeah, he is off the rails crazy and obviously damaged goods. People are so desperate to try to diminish Brady that they will just make up utter nonsense. Shame on the media too for allowing crap like this to be published - granted they love a good Pats/TB bash as well.

Whatever...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey