Welcome to PatsFans.com

Stem Cell: Another White House Spin

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by scout, Jul 19, 2006.

1. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Even though 72% of the American people would like passage of the stem cell bill that is before congress, and a near veto proof 63 Senators approved the bill, that will not stop Bush from his first veto. Now the lies start. Rove stated to the Denver Post that researchers have found that there was "far more promise from adult stem cells than from embryonic stem cells".
    That folks, is an outright lie and scientists are ripping Rove for that comment. What a joke this presidency has been. Bush has never vetoed a bill, while the deficit has run wild. Now, we have a bill which may possibly lead to cures of a number of illnesses, but Bush will not permit it on moral grounds in which he is in the vast minority. Throughout history, presidents and judges have put their opinions to the side and done what is best for the country, you would think this one would do the right thing, maybe just one time. Instead he will veto this bill and we will hear all the mouthpiece's spewing propaganda about the adult stem cells.
  2. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

3. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I agree..it is VERY incredible...it's all about HIM and HIS views and what is RIGHT is far from anything in his view. Just another reason why he will not go down as a good President even.
  4. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

5. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Breaking news everybody: BUSH FOUND HIS VETO STAMP.
    No he didn't veto a bill to reduce the deficit,
    He vetoed a bill for scientific research on embryonic stemcells and their use in medical technology.
  6. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +89 / 7 / -13

#37 Jersey

Of course another half truth out right lie from a liberal, the bill was not about the research it was about the funding. Private rersearch is not banned, why don't you get your boy Soros to fund some of it, instead of smear websites? What are your buddies the EU doing about it? What kind of research are they doing?
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2005
  7. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Now, now. There are probably some researchers out there that say that adult stem cells show more promise than embryonic ones. Whether they are big quacks or not, I can't vouch for. But yeah, I don't think I'd trust interpretation of scientific research to Karl Rove (or anyone else without a degree in science).

This limits government-fundedresearch only! Most health care research isn't federally-funded. There honestly isn't that much to be had. Most of the good research comes through privately funded corporations/foundations/enterprises and the drug companies. That's something even the crazy Fundies can't turn off.
  8. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Think about it this way. Everyone complains about healthcare cost and people missing work due to health reasons, which total billions upon billions of dollars due to medical reasons.
    Now you have stemcell technology that shows amazing abilities to cure and allevieate some of these ailments that drain our money year after year.
    If the gov't funded the research to medical schools and private enterprise, we would be far advanced in this technology.

Now you can go bashing the rest of the humans on the planet that don't have your right-wing beliefs or nuke-em or stifle their dissent with your talking points:D
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  9. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Has it ever actually cured or alleviated anything ? I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I am under the impression it's totally theoretical at this point and has never saved anyone from anything.
  10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Depends on the type of stem cells. Adult stem cells, some mucous stem cells, and placental & umbilical cord blood stem cells have produced theraputic results.

The only thing grown from embroynic stem cells thus far are tumors.. BTW I'm not being facetous here.
  11. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Yeah, I meant embryonic ones as those are the ones in question. I will admit that despite my staunch pro life stance, opposing using stem cells that otherwise would be thrown out presents a difficult arguement.
  12. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What I read it shows promise, which will be stunted in this veto for years to come. And if it did cure or aleviate certain ailments that would be a benefit to our overall economy.
  13. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, in myeloma and other forms of blood cancer, though most are self-donated.

Cord blood stem cells (from the umbilical cord of a child) have been shown to be effective with conditions such as Krabbe disease (the disease Jim Kelly's son died from last year).

Here's a primer on stem cells: http://www.familycordbloodservices.com/whatarestemcells.cfm

Embryonic stem cells really haven't been researched enough (only since 98), so yes, it is theoretical, but I think the science is getting there. Despite its size, the cell is rather complex, and it will take a bit before scientists can master the total manipulation of all cell regulation- I do believe that the Koreans have done it, though.

http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/faqs.asp
  14. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No it won't- the research funds come from mostly private money anyhow!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2005
  15. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My point is if the gov't provided funding it would increase the science.
    Sometimes gov't intervention does prove promising on social issues.
    I could google stats where the gov't intervened on sanitation and plumbing to help control epidemics. And provided funding on other healthcare issues.
    Where it helped in developing medicines for the betterment of humans.
  16. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Let's think about it in another way.
    If this research shows promise is developed quicker in another country that is more willing to provide funds for this research.
    The U.S.A. just lost on an economic opprutunity that would be a huge boost to our economy that employers, companies and investors would of loved to be a part of. NO?
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

The Korean studies turned out to be a fraud. Here is a link to the article. So far just tumors from embroynic stem cells.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10589085/
  18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Lets look at it another way. We have a line of research that is producing positive results. We have another line of research that has produced no results with far more money spent on it. Which one should be funded?
  19. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

The one where the majority of scientists say it will give us greater chances of cures.
  20. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The karl Rove way! True to form.