Welcome to PatsFans.com

Steelers release Foote

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by KDPPatsfan85, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +193 / 7 / -30

#24 Jersey

2. Sicilian

Sicilian Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +908 / 3 / -4

3. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,855 / 191 / -145

Disable Jersey

Well, this time it looks as if it's official.

Tell Larry I wish him well in Detroit. I guess he wants a first look at what hell's going to be like in the afterlife.

4. farn

farn 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +125 / 3 / -4

Go to your beloved Detroit, Foote, see if we care.

5. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +795 / 1 / -3

Well, if we could go back in time (see comment #8); perhaps we wouldn't be discussing this right now.
    http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...layers-bb-era-you-wished-they-had-picked.html

Though I wasn't aware of the pussyfoote maneuver (see comment #9.)
    http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/58390-least-favorite-nfl-player.html

Though Rob0729 disagrees with me, I question whether a player who was unhappy being part of a Super Bowl winning team because he was not on the field on third downs is a good fit - from other his perspective or the Pats'.
    http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...10/233091-steelers-cut-larry-foote-page7.html

6. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,998 / 42 / -15

Ummm.... When did I say that. You asked if he wasn't happy with his role as a Steeler, why would he be happy with his role as a Patriot? And I said that he would happy here because he potentially had more opportunity for playing time.

But while we are on the subject, this is the same team that Ted Johnson walked out on because he was not happy because he was informed that he would be deactivated for a game because they needed to activate another player. And this was two years before he retired.

Also, you are taking quotes from right after he heard he was being released and twisting the meaning a bit. I guarantee you most players who are taken off the field during key downs are not happy about it. I bet you it eats at Bruschi to know he isn't on the field every down and is taken off the field quite regularly these days. Doesn't mean that the guy won't play hard and be a good player. There is a difference between being upset you don't get enough playing time which Belichick might actually look for in a player and a player doing things detrimental to the team because of it. Belichick loves players who love football and players who love football want to be on the field for every single play.

I think the odds are good that Foote ends up in Detriot and the Pats never make a serious play for him, but I don't think those quotes will have any bearing either way.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  7. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,998 / 42 / -15

BTW, I think Foote is probably more suited for a read and react style of defense than he was for the Steelers' agressive attack style. But that doesn't mean the Pats will make a play for him or that Foote will even consider coming here.

He does seem to want to play for his hometown team.

8. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What about if he turns them around and they actually start winning games...or heaven forbid make the playoffs because of him?

I'll bet a few of us would be whining about not getting him while they had the chance...

9. Dino 6 Rings

Dino 6 Rings Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's just the story with Steelers Linebackers. Eventuallay, they play for other teams. Foote let it leak right after the SB that he would play in Detroit (home town) He backtracked a little after saying it. Then on Draft day, after we'd already signed Farrior and Harrison to deals/extensions, we did attempt to trade Foote, but since it was rather obvious to any team that knows how the Steelers tend to cut aging LBs especially when there is a Solid young 1st Round Draft pick waiting in the wings, no one bit on the trade and basically, were waiting to offer Foote a Starting Job without having to give up anything in return.

Its not going to be a total loss for Foote, it sux the Steelers couldn't get at least 1 draft pick for him, but once it became obvious that he wasn't going to start, wasn't going to "be happy" and we weren't going into camp with him, the Release was inevitable.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  10. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

eh... he isn't any better than what is on the roster now.

Not a big deal...

11. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +178 / 2 / -3

No loss. Its not like we ever have any luck with former Pittsburgh LBs anyway.

12. PatsChowder

PatsChowder On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm really glad to see Detroit land a guy like Foote. They need SOMETHING in that defense to toughen them up. Foote will hopefully bring some of that Steelers personality with him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.