PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers Post Gazette article - let the crying begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolverinejoe80

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Here we go again
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-old-wounds-for-Steelers/stories/201509100059

“I have two observations from the 2004 game,” said former Steelers center Jeff Hartings, who played for the team from 2001-07. “At the beginning of the game, in the first quarter or at halftime, I can remember thinking it seems like they made remarkable adjustments from the regular-season game. I just considered it great scouting, great coaching, great execution. Maybe there was something more to it.

“The other observation I have from that game is walking off the field and knowing everyone made mistakes in that game except for Tom Brady. He played the perfect game. He knew exactly what we were doing. If you rewatch that game, he knew exactly when we were blitzing.”

go to steelers forum, and they are more bitter than Jets & Colts forum combined. lol

ku-xlarge.gif

This is what we are dealing with.

I haven't missed a game in probably 20 years. This includes living overseas and having ear plugs in my ear during important gigs. But this is a farce. That franchise cheated, got away with it, and now will lobby to have their "fall guys" reinstated. The league is a joke.

In my mind the real Steeler opener is next week against the Niners. The Patriots are not playing under the same rules as everyone else. True that we are likely to lose this game, but that's not the reason I am boycotting. I have witnesses countless blowout Steeler losses over the years and have taken it like a man every time. Not this time. Not if it's not done by honest means.

I'll see you guys in 10 days.

lol

This is what we are dealing with.

lol

The Steelers of the 70's were shooting roids into their ass cheeks. If they want to talk about "not playing under the same rules as everyone else", why not start there?

Pitt beat the Pats in 2008 and 2013. They also won in 2004.

Can I say that they cheated as well and stole signals?

Simple fact is that the Pats have had historically better teams that Pitt.

The Steelers of the 70's were shooting roids into their ass cheeks. If they want to talk about "not playing under the same rules as everyone else", why not start there?
If you want to drive a Steelers fan absolutely nuts, just point out that the Immaculate Reception violated the Double Touch Rule.

Pitt beat the Pats in 2008 and 2013. They also won in 2004.

Can I say that they cheated as well and stole signals?

Simple fact is that the Pats have had historically better teams that Pitt.

2011. The Steelers got beat like a drum in 2013.

I just had a discussion with a Steelers fan about this. My first reply was this:
"Just so you know... the filming of teams defensive signals was legal at the time they're talking about in this article. In fact, it's still legal to film teams defensive signals today, although it wouldn't do a lot of good since they're radioed in now.

The location of the camera has been restricted since a memo was sent out in 2007 and that's what the Patriots were penalized for. That memo wasn't even an official rule change - those have to be voted in by all 32 teams during the off season meeting. So the Patriots were basically punished for failing to properly read a memo."

I followed it up with:
"To your original point - that the Patriots "had the Steelers defensive signals". Let's say that they did. So, they legally filmed the Steelers defensive signals when they played them earlier in the season, and then studied those signals in case they didn't change them for the AFC Championship game. Then, they had a coach watch the Steelers sidelines and if the signals did match up to what they put on the field, they were able to counter every defensive alignment. This means that the Patriots caught the Steelers being stupid. Every team knows that every team tries to figure out their calls. Every team knows this is happening and changes their signals from game to game, especially against the same team they played earlier that season. A team that doesn't do that is just dumb."

Lastly I said this:
"If you want to see another version of a similar story, check out http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2696227

Smart football by the Dolphins. They found a way to gain an advantage. They outsmarted Belichick. And I bet that to this day, the Patriots now change their audible calls for every game."

I haven't heard back again.

Just one of many examples as to the level of stupidity that is out there. Common sense isn't very common in Pittsburgh apparently.

It's a sparse commodity in most of the population but,as you say, more prevalent in NFL fan bases. LOL at a Steelers fan complaining about breaking rules. That mid-Atlantic water (NY, Balt, Pitt, Indy) must have some strange minerals in it. Maybe corn/coal dust has dulled the senses.

“I have two observations from the 2004 game,” said former Steelers center Jeff Hartings, who played for the team from 2001-07. “At the beginning of the game, in the first quarter or at halftime, I can remember thinking it seems like they made remarkable adjustments from the regular-season game. I just considered it great scouting, great coaching, great execution. Maybe there was something more to it.

“The other observation I have from that game is walking off the field and knowing everyone made mistakes in that game except for Tom Brady. He played the perfect game. He knew exactly what we were doing. If you rewatch that game, he knew exactly when we were blitzing.”

That blocked field goal in the 2001 AFCG... it's almost as though the Patriots knew the Steelers were going to kick a field goal on that play!

Freaky!

This has the makings of a major NFLESPN expose'.

Might want to blame it on a style of defense that Brady pretty much shreds every time he faces it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes