PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers played Well,

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a sloppy game all around. Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, and Troy Polamalu whiffing multiple times on tackles. WTF? I think both teams showed they're not very good in the secondary. Wes Welker was booty-ass nude in the secondary all day. Miami couldn't cover anybody either.

The reason I'm down on Miami so much this year, though, is their O-line. I think it sucks donkey nuts. However, they performed fairly well yesterday in the first game of the season against a very difficult defense to play against. Culpepper looks like Culpepper. Looks great at times, but just refuses to take care of the football. Ronnie Brown looked very good. The Steelers O-line looks very good also. If you put Willie Parker in Denver, he'd probably lead the league in rushing. Such quick cuts upfield.

I would be interested to see how the rest of the game played out had Batch not fumbled the ball on the 1 yard line.

OldEnglandPatriot said:
The Steelers were awesome, I thought, considering the doubts that must have been in their minds going in without their starting QB with four days' notice.

It sounds pretty arrogant to say Miami 'lost' the game rather than being beaten. Pittsburgh moved the ball well on the ground and in the air, and their defense did what it does.

Some fish fan said in another thread 'without the Heath Miller play it could have been so different'. But it could also have been different without the Steelers fumbling on the goal-line, missing a field goal, and not getting a possible big PI call three plays before Miami scored their first points.

taking that a little out of context and i don't think that is a word for word quote. The point I believe I made before, though i was considerably drunk at the time, was that it wasn't a rout. It's true, if Batch doesn't fumble things are different. If the shaky hands to the face penalty isn't called, things are different. But we were in it until the end.

More ignorant Dolphan crap. Most of them think they out-played the Steelers for the first 50 minutes, which is BS.

This was a 45-3 game in which the Fins got every bounce. Their first 7 was set up by a terrible non-call on PI. Their go ahead TD was scored after the turnover machine threw it right to Ike Taylor in the endzone, only to have him drop it.

Pitt drove all day on them and then cough it up on an unforced TO on the goalline that falls right into Allen's lap and then when Troy P makes a great play on the reverse Chris "The Invisible Man" Chambers has the ball bounce right back into his hands on his fumble.

And Reed shanks a makeable FG.

Take Wes Walker out of this game and it might have been 60-0 with the Steelers starting their back-up QB.

When I saw this thread I had to look outside to make sure there was no snow on the ground. Usually these Dolphin excuses mean it's January.

What's this "we" crap here from Dolphins fans ? That's for FinHeaven (or FinHell).

Return of the Nizz said:
More ignorant Dolphan crap.
Just like that stupid winning streak we kept hearing about even though their starters barely beat our backups to end last season :rolleyes:

Culpepper reminded me of someone last night. He reminded me of that guy that was playing QB for the Vikings last year, the one who was embarrassingly bad before he ended up blowing out his knee and the great Brad Johnson came in to salvage their season. Who was that guy?

Seriously, I don't see how the media and the Dolphins fans are getting so excited about this guy. I saw him play in person one time a few years back and that was enough to know he's not a good QB. He benefitted greatly from a high-powered offense, led by Randy Moss, in Minnesota. He stares down one receiver, ignoring wide open ones, forces balls into coverage, gets nervous and panics when he's pressured. He's simply not as good as some of his past numbers would indicate.

As for the game, the Steelers played well, but their secondary wasn't all that great and they really don't have much of an offense.

But more than anything, the thing that stood out most to me was that the officials look like they are picking up right where they left off last year. They were horrible! How many missed calls? It was pathetic. That side judge couldn't see Miller go out of bounds right in front of him? It couldn't have been more obvious. At least it wasn't completely one-sided bad officiating but it was still very bad.

My takes on the game:

* I thought the Dolphin's DTs played very well. I worry more about how they will hold up over the season than in any of the early games.

* I understand that he is more built for a OLB position on the 3-4, but Taylor scared me a lot more when he was just lining up and rushing on every play.

* Miller's play was ugly defense, but if I am a Fins fan, I'm much more concerned at how easily Ward kept getting open at the 1st down marker.

* I actually was impressed with Miami's OL on pass protection. Pitt is a very good pass rushing team, and Miami held them at bay until the very end when passing was the only option. Run blocking, though? Blah.

* I can't see Parker holding up over the course of the season if they are going to run him between the tackles 10-15 time a game. Hell, he didn't really hold up last year when he wasn't even coming close to that. People have been saying that they would like to see how Roth will do when winning or losing is on his shoulders. Well, I think we're all going to find out this year.

* I didn't come away as impressed with Pitt's D as many others have. Their run D was fantastic, but I still believe that they can be passed on pretty easily. Frankly, Chambers should have had two TDs, one that went through his hands and another that Culpepper threw 4 yards over his head. Both times he was open. And Welker was left alone a lot, even when he was the #2 guy.

* Ward is a great WR. Pitt is lucky to have him.

* Welker is fantastic. He makes some cuts that are amazing. On the long punt return, he made a cut back up the middle whil he was running toward the left sideline that probably only a handful of returners in the league could have done. It isn't that he is fast, he has great feel and vision for space and can change direction as well as anyone I have ever seen. I wish NE had a guy like him.

* Was anyone else surprised at the poor secondary tackling by both teams?

* Miami fans are going to have to get used to mistakes like the one Culpepper made at the end to Porter. He is an amazing physical talent, but IMO he is not really a scholar of the game. A well timed "trick" play, like that one was, will be successful against him more often than you would typically see.

* That said, Daunte gets a little bit of a bum rap for last season. It wasn't just Moss being gone that precipitated his bad season. Matt Birk, Minny's C, missed the season and the backup was terrible. Culpepper was given some of the worst pass protection that any QB saw last year. And because the team was falling behind early, he saw it often. He is probably not going to have a godawful series of games like then, but I do think that he will make 1-2 key mistakes every game. It is just up to the D to capitalize.

I think that is all I have for now.

TNPatsFan said:
Culpepper reminded me of someone last night. He reminded me of that guy that was playing QB for the Vikings last year, the one who was embarrassingly bad before he ended up blowing out his knee and the great Brad Johnson came in to salvage their season. Who was that guy?

Seriously, I don't see how the media and the Dolphins fans are getting so excited about this guy. I saw him play in person one time a few years back and that was enough to know he's not a good QB. He benefitted greatly from a high-powered offense, led by Randy Moss, in Minnesota. He stares down one receiver, ignoring wide open ones, forces balls into coverage, gets nervous and panics when he's pressured. He's simply not as good as some of his past numbers would indicate.

You know who he reminded me of? Drew Bledsoe. Take away Moss, and the running ability with the knee (physical, mental, or coaching design, you could tell he didn't want to run), and that's what you have. A tall QB with a big arm who stares down his receivers.

feelthepain said:
Yep we lose to the defending SB champs in their house in the last 3 miunutes and we are making excuses, I sure hope the Pats don't lose this year, it would be tragic!!

Brady would have won with that offense last night. Thats the difference, Culpepper doesn't have 'IT'.

Pittsburgh did play well - their defense looked in mid-season form, and after a slow start, their offense looked good too. They didn't panick when Batch lost that fumble on the one yard line when Miami should have been looking to put the game away. I'm glad we won't see the Steelers until the playoffs if at all. As I've said all along, I don't think Miami is going to be very good this year, and Culpepper isn't going to be what all the pundits and Miami fams thought, but it is only week one. We'll see.

Oswlek said:
My takes on the game:

* I thought the Dolphin's DTs played very well. I worry more about how they will hold up over the season than in any of the early games.

* I understand that he is more built for a OLB position on the 3-4, but Taylor scared me a lot more when he was just lining up and rushing on every play.

* Miller's play was ugly defense, but if I am a Fins fan, I'm much more concerned at how easily Ward kept getting open at the 1st down marker.

* I actually was impressed with Miami's OL on pass protection. Pitt is a very good pass rushing team, and Miami held them at bay until the very end when passing was the only option. Run blocking, though? Blah.

* I can't see Parker holding up over the course of the season if they are going to run him between the tackles 10-15 time a game. Hell, he didn't really hold up last year when he wasn't even coming close to that. People have been saying that they would like to see how Roth will do when winning or losing is on his shoulders. Well, I think we're all going to find out this year.

* I didn't come away as impressed with Pitt's D as many others have. Their run D was fantastic, but I still believe that they can be passed on pretty easily. Frankly, Chambers should have had two TDs, one that went through his hands and another that Culpepper threw 4 yards over his head. Both times he was open. And Welker was left alone a lot, even when he was the #2 guy.

VERY TRUE-THE STEELERS STUNK ON DEFENSE, AND I AM NOT AT ALL SURE WHAT SOME OF MY FELLOW PATS FANS ARE THINKING WHEN THEY SAY THAT THE STEELERS PLAYED GOOD ON DEFENSE, THEY WERE AWFUL.

* Ward is a great WR. Pitt is lucky to have him.

* Welker is fantastic. He makes some cuts that are amazing. On the long punt return, he made a cut back up the middle whil he was running toward the left sideline that probably only a handful of returners in the league could have done. It isn't that he is fast, he has great feel and vision for space and can change direction as well as anyone I have ever seen. I wish NE had a guy like him.

WELKER IS OKAY, BUT LET'S NOT GET TOO EXCITED JUST BECAUSE THE STEELERS CAN'T COVER.

* Was anyone else surprised at the poor secondary tackling by both teams?

AGAIN, I WAS VERY SURPRISED BY THE STEELERS SHODDY TACKLING, THEY NEVER ONCE BROUGHT A GUY DOWN ON AN INITIAL TACKLE ALL NIGHT. I'VE NOT SEEN SUCH BAD TACKLING IN A LONG TIME.

* Miami fans are going to have to get used to mistakes like the one Culpepper made at the end to Porter. He is an amazing physical talent, but IMO he is not really a scholar of the game. A well timed "trick" play, like that one was, will be successful against him more often than you would typically see.

MAYBE BY THE END OF THE SEASON, ONE OR TWO OF THE MORE INTELLIGENT MIAMI FANS WILL FINALLY REALIZE WHY CULPEPPER IS A CHOKER. PROBABLY NONE OF OUR TROLLS, HOWEVER. THEY LIVE WITH BLINDERS ON.

* That said, Daunte gets a little bit of a bum rap for last season. It wasn't just Moss being gone that precipitated his bad season. Matt Birk, Minny's C, missed the season and the backup was terrible. Culpepper was given some of the worst pass protection that any QB saw last year. And because the team was falling behind early, he saw it often. He is probably not going to have a godawful series of games like then, but I do think that he will make 1-2 key mistakes every game. It is just up to the D to capitalize.

I think that is all I have for now.

What an amazingly accurate summary, you said everything I wanted to say and left me with nothing better than to repeat you! :D

Last edited:
Steelers actually tried to give you the game with giving you 14 friggin points...

Ike's interception (can't believe he didn't catch that! Though some say he caught it, when he landed the ball came a little loose, and we've seen it time and time again, if you land and it comes a little loose like that they will rule incomplete), that's 7 points for Miami. And then the steelers gave you the ball when it was 1st and goal, tha'ts -7 points for the steelers. Given 14 points yet still make excuses...

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
What an amazingly accurate summary, you said everything I wanted to say and left me with nothing better than to repeat you! :D

Thaks. BTW, my comments on Welker really don't have much to do with his WR play. He is and has always been a average WR with good yac ability. His special teams return play, though, is phenominal. I really don't think more than 4-5 guys in the whole league could have made the cut that he did on the PR without losing any speed. Hell, most guys couldn't even have attempted it at all, it was like a video game cut.

emoney 33 said:
Steelers actually tried to give you the game with giving you 14 friggin points...

Ike's interception (can't believe he didn't catch that! Though some say he caught it, when he landed the ball came a little loose, and we've seen it time and time again, if you land and it comes a little loose like that they will rule incomplete), that's 7 points for Miami. And then the steelers gave you the ball when it was 1st and goal, tha'ts -7 points for the steelers. Given 14 points yet still make excuses...

It wasn't just that it came lose while he was on the ground. Half of his body was out of bounds at the time that it came lose, so even if he corralled it before it touched the ground, it was still incomplete. You are right, though. Miami caught quite a few breaks in that game to keep it as close as they did for as long as they did.

Last edited:
Until Culpepper did his routine choke job that he has done in every big game since his career began. I should know, I watched most of his games. The times he was benched, the three seasons he missed games due to injury, the back-up Q.B.s playing better than him, ect.

I once rooted for this choker because I don't like the Bears or Green Bay.

Return of the Nizz said:
More ignorant Dolphan crap. Most of them think they out-played the Steelers for the first 50 minutes, which is BS.

This was a 45-3 game in which the Fins got every bounce. Their first 7 was set up by a terrible non-call on PI. Their go ahead TD was scored after the turnover machine threw it right to Ike Taylor in the endzone, only to have him drop it.
Except that he didn't drop it. He bobbled it but the replay clearly showed he got control as he landed in the end zone and before he slid out of bounds. I was amazed no one, not the announcers, not Cowher or his replay spotters, not even the player himself, picked up on that. But that doesn't change the main point of your post which you support with many excellent points.

Pitt drove all day on them and then cough it up on an unforced TO on the goalline that falls right into Allen's lap and then when Troy P makes a great play on the reverse Chris "The Invisible Man" Chambers has the ball bounce right back into his hands on his fumble.

And Reed shanks a makeable FG.

Take Wes Walker out of this game and it might have been 60-0 with the Steelers starting their back-up QB.

When I saw this thread I had to look outside to make sure there was no snow on the ground. Usually these Dolphin excuses mean it's January.
Very good points and nice to see from a new poster (although I'm not loving your screen name if it means what I think it means...) All I have to add is one point embedded in your quote above.

I find it amazing that in Pat fans minds this game sets in stone everything Miami is!! I'm sure if the Pats lose to the Bills Sunday there won't be such harsh feelings about the Pats and where they stand for the season. Whatever you people need to do to sleep at night.

Looks like general goodnatured gloating. You guys lost to the Steelers WITHOUT their QB? Oh my. Perhaps not quite ready to hoist that tropy. After all it's sort of heavy looking...

I will say this, though, I've seen enough people doing the same "they didn't win it we lost it" bull**** on here about our Denver game last year. There's always somebody that can't really face losing.

You guys did, by the way. How's it feel to be a half game back (and it'll be a full game Sunday?) I mean, you got the gift game, QB goes down, and still lose it?

Sucks to be you.

PFnV

To sleep at night, all I need to do is giggle about what a sack of crap Culpepper is when he is put into a pressure situation. Maybe you should check what other Finheads are saying about Culpepper, but, oh yeah, you have this childlike obsession with fishing thru our website. So you probably don't know what they think in Miami, anymore than you realize that Culpepper sucked last night. He sucked in the first half, missing on SCREEN PASSES!!!!!!!! Then he sucked in the end zone for the most part, throwing a pick which the refs took away. Then in the second half, he threw TWO PICKS to end the game.

But all you can muster is some bullsh1t about how the Steelers didn't beat you. You are clueless.

And if that giggling isn't enough to put me to sleep, I will wax poetic about our recent three superbowl records and all time NFL WIN STREAK. And then I will think that Brady is still young and the best is yet to come.

Nighty night, Finface.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
To sleep at night, all I need to do is giggle about what a sack of crap Culpepper is when he is put into a pressure situation. Maybe you should check what other Finheads are saying about Culpepper, but, oh yeah, you have this childlike obsession with fishing thru our website. So you probably don't know what they think in Miami, anymore than you realize that Culpepper sucked last night. He sucked in the first half, missing on SCREEN PASSES!!!!!!!! Then he sucked in the end zone for the most part, throwing a pick which the refs took away. Then in the second half, he threw TWO PICKS to end the game.

But all you can muster is some bullsh1t about how the Steelers didn't beat you. You are clueless.

And if that giggling isn't enough to put me to sleep, I will wax poetic about our recent three superbowl records and all time NFL WIN STREAK. And then I will think that Brady is still young and the best is yet to come.

Nighty night, Finface.

Brady is also a sack of crap! Since were posting like children.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye