PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers offer to RFA WR Mike Wallace: one-year, $2.7 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
"...their own or better"

ie 27

From what I've read or recall in the past, its not better.. Its always your pick.. I'm willing to put some dough :)

Only local guy I listen to is Bedard.. Had a few emails with him and he's great.. Personally and professionally

Just got an email back from Bedard, it would be their 31st pick

Man he's good :)

From what I've read or recall in the past, its not better.. Its always your pick.. I'm willing to put some dough :)

Only local guy I listen to is Bedard.. Had a few emails with him and he's great.. Personally and professionally

Yeah the 1st option is the team's own pick. If they do not have their own pick, then they can give up a better 1st round pick. If they have neither then they cannot make an offer.

It's worded the way it is to prevent a team with, say, the 5th pick, trading down to 32 and then making an offer.

Yeah the 1st option is the team's own pick. If they do not have their own pick, then they can give up a better 1st round pick. If they have neither then they cannot make an offer.

It's worded the way it is to prevent a team with, say, the 5th pick, trading down to 32 and then making an offer.

Better tell Jeff that.. He tweeted me back saying he read this off a NFL document.. When I asked for a link.. He never responded.. Besides Bedard confirming this, I recall Kirwan talking about plenty of times..

Own or better. We go with "own", not better. Yeah, it's off the document, you're misinterpreting what it means. If we traded 31, we could give them 27 (better). But we don't have to give better.

Own or better. We go with "own", not better. Yeah, it's off the document, you're misinterpreting what it means. If we traded 31, we could give them 27 (better). But we don't have to give better.

You are 100% correct. I understand what is meant and tweeted to Jeff he's incorrect.. They would give up their 31st not 27th.. Unless they traded it.. I thought that, Bedard confirmed that..

Just another reason why Bedard and Sirius are top notch :)

It's clear that WW was wise not to accept the 2yr/8m per/$16 guaranteed deal as the market has dictated such. We sill don't know what exactly WW asked for or how high the Pats will go. What we do know is the Pats, like every organization are openly cautious about paying/having a substantial cap hit IF WW can't produce 100+ catches at 34 years old. With the exception of Jerry Rice, almost every WR's production at 34 is not worth a $9m cap hit. WW is an against the odds, over-achieving athlete no question. But history is not on his side. All the restructuring, converting likely to be earned $$ into a bonus, salary, etc. does not change his contract unless WW accepts a pay cut to stay which the team has shown it will move players at the bat of an eye (see Vrable, Willie Mac, etc.)

If Wes can't prodduce 100+ catches at 34 years old you cut him with a $4-5M dead cap hit you can spread over 2 years if you want to under a cap that will be in the $140M range by then.

Brady never needed to squeeze the org because he never needed to. He knows that his situation here is great and going to another team is a risky proposition. He would never want to be known as the Qb who left a 3 time SB champion for money. The only time things seemed to get dicey was in 2006 when the up-front cash needed to be divided into separate installments. No question he was PO'ed with the Branch debacle (which turned out to be the right decision) but TB has matured and understands that it's a business.

Branch wanted more than he was worth at the time based on his measurables. However based on his intangibles it's likely we threepeat had they found a way to retain him. They chose instead to invest big money short term in Seymour and roll the dice on Reche Caldwell as Tom's new favorite target...

Meh. There is a long line of players that have been taken care of by this organization financially. Players know that things get dicey when they hit 31 or 32 years old and they have a big salary. WW knows this which is why he wants the up-front cash now.

Clearly the Pats aren't quite sure as you are. I think we'd agree that if WW hadn't blown out his knee in 2009, he'd likely be entering year 3 of a 4 year deal that would have paid him $9m annually. He got hurt and its 3 seasons later....

LOL They would not have paid him $9M in 2009 let alone with 2 years remaining on his contract. Moss was on the roster at that # thru 2010. They might have approached him at the end of 2009 absent the ACL and sensing they were reaching their limit on the Moss experiment, but with a lockout looming after 2010 remember that they lowballed a much younger LG that offseason whom they ended up paying almost $2M per more a year later to become the highest paid player at his position. They were never going to pay Wes $9M voluntarily. And the sad thing is they probably could have extended him for 5 x $6M back in 2009. But they prioritized their roster differently. And after he turned down their ridiculous 2 year offer last season they moved on and IMO overpaid for a young ILB with a year and a half left on his rookie deal, a deal they had already restructured that had plenty of escalators and incentives remaining in it. But hey, they don't call him Jerrod Belichick for nothing...

Oh, and fwiw since this is the Wallace thread, Wallace's agent is the same guy who just negotiated Megatron's extension...

I think it's safe to say this isn't going to happen.....

I'm curious if he'll end up signing anywhere, not just here.

Mike Wallace's agent is also Calvin Johnson's agent, which makes me think Wallace is more likely to play out the year and then try and hit it big next year. Of course then the Steelers could probably just franchise him.

Last edited:

I think its safe to say that you're being impatient. If a few weeks pass and we hear nothing thats one thing but free agency is a little over 2 days old.

I'm curious if he'll end up signing anywhere, not just here.

Mike Wallace's agent is also Calvin Johnson's agent, which makes me think Wallace is more likely to play out the year and then try and hit it big next year. Of course then the Steelers could probably just franchise him.

This seems like the probable scenario at this point. Given the way WR salaries have exploded it seems questionable that any team would give up a cap-friendly 1st rounder plus make a front-loaded offer in the $10-12 million per year range.

So Wallace's options are likely to take a lesser long-term deal from the Steelers, or play for his $2.7 million this year and likely get the franchise tag next year.

This seems like the probable scenario at this point. Given the way WR salaries have exploded it seems questionable that any team would give up a cap-friendly 1st rounder plus make a front-loaded offer in the $10-12 million per year range.

So Wallace's options are likely to take a lesser long-term deal from the Steelers, or play for his $2.7 million this year and likely get the franchise tag next year.

if i'm a team and I'm interested in Wallace (not saying the pats are).. I tell him to take 8 million this year and 8 million for each additional year (say 5 years total)..

And my selling point is, you (wallace) get more money this year and by getting more this year, you don't have to wait and by the end of the contract, you get the same $ amt but didn't have to wait or risk injury...Thats 40 million in 5 years.. For him to make that, he'd have to sign a 4 year deal after next year at 10 mllion each.

Get it now and early.. Works for the player and works for the team (smaller cap #)

apparently Denver will look to soon Mike Wallace if they get Peyton.

apparently Denver will look to soon Mike Wallace if they get Peyton.

I think that was just Mayock speculating on what he'd do if he was Denver's GM and they managed to sign Manning. But who knows - it's possible and they would need a WR.

I think its safe to say that you're being impatient. If a few weeks pass and we hear nothing thats one thing but free agency is a little over 2 days old.

I agree. Making an offer early in free agency only freezes a good chunk of salary cap space for a full week, precluding a team from being active early in free agency.

By waiting the market settles down and teams that have spent or over spent on free agent WRs will be out of the mix.for Wallace.

AsL a young productive deep threat WR, Wallace certainly isnt going to be cheap... But nor is he going to get what he would command as a UFA next season. He surely understands that he would be taking a risk playing this season for $2.7 million and has an incentive to take less than market value by signing a long term big bonus deal one year early rather than risk injury and the loss of that big payday next year.

Wallace's draft compensation is also going to lower the price tag.

As long as the Patriots haven't yet addressed their WR needs and have cap space, I wouldnt rule them out for Wallace or any available player for that matter.

I agree. Making an offer early in free agency only freezes a good chunk of salary cap space for a full week, precluding a team from being active early in free agency.

By waiting the market settles down and teams that have spent or over spent on free agent WRs will be out of the mix.for Wallace.

AsL a young productive deep threat WR, Wallace certainly isnt going to be cheap... But nor is he going to get what he would command as a UFA next season. He surely understands that he would be taking a risk playing this season for $2.7 million and has an incentive to take less than market value by signing a long term big bonus deal one year early rather than risk injury and the loss of that big payday next year.

Wallace's draft compensation is also going to lower the price tag.

As long as the Patriots haven't yet addressed their WR needs and have cap space, I wouldnt rule them out for Wallace or any available player for that matter.

Looks like other GMs are saying the same thing... The deadline to make an offer is April 20th, and apparently some feel it makes the most sense to wait to tie up that money (even if it's theoretical money) until the last mintute

Wallace will get paid, but maybe not by Steelers, and not in hurry - NFL - CBSSports.com News, Rumors, Scores, Stats, Fantasy

They (the Patriots and others) have money. They have cap room. They have needs. Most important, they have time.

Last edited:

I realize that makes sense on some level, but isn't it a gamble at the same time too (waiting)?

Isn't it possible that some other team could get to him first?

As I've said a million times, I can't honestly believe that Belichick would think about this particular move for one second; but it's fun to speculate, I guess.

A guy like R.Wayne, who was proven, smart, played in a good system, and was relatively inexpensive was undoubtedly the most obvious choice. It isn't a coincidence that the Pats were interested in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back