PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers lose another player to ugly leg injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
I opened this thread hoping James Harrison was the guy who went down, not because he is a headhunter, because of his shot to Eric Decker last season. As a guy who struggled with knee injuries as a semi-youth, making a point to blow out someone's knee really angers me.

Too bad. I don't ever wish these types of injuries on anyone.

The Steelers' draft 2012 seems cursed. Two of their top three draft picks suffer what look to be season ending injuries (although there is some hope for DeCastro to return) and their other one is struggling.

It's actually part of a strange and ugly run of knee injuries we've had of late.

That's 6 *major* (multi-month) knee injuries in the last 6 games, counting pre and post season.

5 ACL/MCLs to starters (Mendenhall, Hampton, LT Max Starks, FB Johnson, DeCastro), plus the season-ender to Spence last night. That doesn't include significant (i.e. multi-week) knee injuries to Harrison and two key reserves (Sylvestor, C. Brown) over the past 4 preseason games.

I guess injuries are a bit like turnovers--they come in bunches, and there's never any rhyme or reason to it.

Really a shame for the young rookie Spence; his game is built on unusual speed and quickness, and you wonder if a guy like that can be effective even after his rehab. That was just a brutal-looking injury, almost Theisman-esque in how the leg bent backward so far.

Never want injuries..especially young guys with their future in front of them..but it seems that today's NFL is an injury factory...and with these replacement refs not calling head shots whether intentional or not, it certainly looks like IR lists are going to swell.

It's actually part of a strange and ugly run of knee injuries we've had of late.

That's 6 *major* (multi-month) knee injuries in the last 6 games, counting pre and post season.

5 ACL/MCLs to starters (Mendenhall, Hampton, LT Max Starks, FB Johnson, DeCastro), plus the season-ender to Spence last night. That doesn't include significant (i.e. multi-week) knee injuries to Harrison and two key reserves (Sylvestor, C. Brown) over the past 4 preseason games.

I guess injuries are a bit like turnovers--they come in bunches, and there's never any rhyme or reason to it.

Really a shame for the young rookie Spence; his game is built on unusual speed and quickness, and you wonder if a guy like that can be effective even after his rehab. That was just a brutal-looking injury, almost Theisman-esque in how the leg bent backward so far.

I don't wish injuries on anyone. I wonder if it is the compressed preseason schedule (3 games in 10 days) COMBINED with lack of practices leading up to the preseason that are contributing to these. Hard to say, I'm no medical doctor, but for sure I would say the 3 games in 10 days can't help. That's gotta cos some aggravated wear and tear on the body.

Sorry to hear about your draft class getting pretty much deep sixed by injuries. You really can't control the injury bug in the NFL. That's why the Pats stock their roster with an eye for depth. I really think the 53 man roster should be expanded and/or the flexible IR expanded to more than 1 exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes