PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers' James Harrison suspended for one game; will appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Sellers

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
The various fines obviously were not getting his attention. Perhaps losing him for a game will get the attention of his coaches and team.

James Harrison got what he deserved and needed - Shutdown Corner - NFL Blog - Yahoo! Sports

The NFL dropped its big, bad sledgehammer of justice onto the face of James Harrison on Tuesday, finally eschewing the light spanking of fines and stepping up to a paddle-whoopin' of a suspension. It's something of a landmark decision.

I imagine that many people will bemoan the decision as the latest incident in the ongoing sissification of today's NFL. I agree with those who would like to see the sissification curtailed, but from a different angle -- what the league did Tuesday in sidelining Harrison is stopped being a sissy itself.

If it wants change in the game, bold steps are necessary. This might be the first real one it's taken.

Harrison appeals one-game suspension | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who puclicly defended safety Ryan Clark last month when he was fined $40,000 for an illegal hit by the league, did not do that with Harrison during his weekly news conference today.

"He hit him, he hit him illegally, he has to suffer the consequences," Tomlin said.

"We're disappointed," Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said of Harrison's suspension. "We're disappointed for James because we know how hard he's worked to play within the rules."

But "he has to be accountable for that so we accept the judgment rendered by the league office."

Tomlin continued: "He can't participate in any football activities with us this week. He'll be allowed in the building next Tuesday.

nonsensical hit, had a "kill the QB" feel to it. McCoy was rocked into another dimension:stars2: wish these hits didn't cause so much damage, they'd be more fun to watch if I ddn't factor in the end results.

How much HGH is this Ox pumping into his system?

Egregious hits to the QB, especially helmet to helmet, are almost completely avoidable.

I'm more concerned with having consistent rules on defenseless receivers.

guys is a POS...

Around the Horn today 2 guys were defending him saying it should not be a suspension..that idiot jones was one of them

Gonna be a waste of time appealing it since he's already announced that he is not changing the way he plays under any circumstances...

The suspensions will eventually force teams to stop looking the other way if not coddling their out of control talents. Seem to have finally gotten Tomlin's attention.

I t-o-l-d y-a.

Now that helmet to helmet hit on Gronk from Gomes in the endzone in the 2nd quarter at the 9min mark, should have been a penalty and a fine.

Last edited:
This guy's one helluva player, but, honestly, he's an arrogant dope. He said publicly today, I believe, that he's not going to change the way he plays in terms of hitting people. It was obvious when he posed in that magazine article last summer with the guns as the "Hit Man" that he's got more than a couple of loose screws. Speaking of screws, if he screws around with Goodell by defying him and continuing with this BS, he's crazier than I already think he is - and he'll pay.

one game suspension, THATS IT????? HE's a repeat offender who has publicly stated that he refused to change his ways, this thug doesn't even belong on the field at all.

This guy's one helluva player, but, honestly, he's an arrogant dope. He said publicly today, I believe, that he's not going to change the way he plays in terms of hitting people. It was obvious when he posed in that magazine article last summer with the guns as the "Hit Man" that he's got more than a couple of loose screws. Speaking of screws, if he screws around with Goodell by defying him and continuing with this BS, he's crazier than I already think he is - and he'll pay.

Harrison is by far the dirtiest player in the NFL. guy is a complete idiot and i hope the next time this happens..he gets at least 3 games..no place in the game for someone like him

Listen to these idiots try and defend him

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=81184

Man i can't stand pitt fans

Last edited:
One important point that PFT brought up:

When you appeal a suspension for on-field conduct, you can't practice with your team until the appeal is resolved.

Interesting choice from Harrison. :rolleyes:

One important point that PFT brought up:

When you appeal a suspension for on-field conduct, you can't practice with your team until the appeal is resolved.

Interesting choice from Harrison. :rolleyes:

Appeals usually don't take long, and the part of the suspension involves him being banned from the team facility anyways.

(this is why Suh was where he was when he got into his car accident)

Last edited:
Harrison is by far the dirtiest player in the NFL. guy is a complete idiot and i hope the next time this happens..he gets at least 3 games..no place in the game for someone like him

Listen to these idiots try and defend him

HARRISON SUSPENDED FOR ONE GAME - Steelers Fever Forums

Man i can't stand pitt fans

Wow, talk about delusional. The way they are talking it seems as though 99% of them are actually shocked that Harrison drew a suspension. Now I can actually understand why they as fans of their team would hope it didn't happen and even defend him. However, they are collectively much bigger 'ostriches' (to borrow a phrase used by someone else here to describe homers ) than this, or probably any other NFL fan base is; they are actually genuinely surprised that Harrison was suspended.

How anybody did not see that coming - or at least a very good possibility of a suspension happening - is baffling.

It also puts a little perspective into place for those who think this forum as a whole is overly 'homerish'.

I didn't see the game or the hit but am not surprised. Steelers are coached up to hurt the opposing teams QB. Just ask Carson Palmer. They won a championship because of this and nobody complained. I am shocked that the league finally did something. It took this extreme act to finally force the NFL to do something to one of the favored franchises.

I wonder when an opposing teams D will take revenge on Ben R. for hits like this. I'm not really sure that would harm him though. A car couldn't even take him out....

According to the rules, McCoy had clearly become a runner and was outside the pocket. That means that helmet to helmet contact would not be a penalty at that point. He was running with the ball tucked until Harrison approached, and he then flipped the ball rather than making a normal pass.

James Harrison hit on Colt McCoy 2011 - YouTube

Harrison's at least arguably in the right here.

According to the rules, McCoy had clearly become a runner and was outside the pocket. That means that helmet to helmet contact would not be a penalty at that point. He was running with the ball tucked until Harrison approached, and he then flipped the ball rather than making a normal pass.

James Harrison hit on Colt McCoy 2011 - YouTube

Harrison's at least arguably in the right here.
Or, by definition of "arguably" (open to argument; unresolved) in the wrong.

Or, by definition of "arguably" (open to argument; unresolved) in the wrong.

It all depends on whether or not the QB 'established' himself as throwing early enough for Harrison to be liable again. I actually side with Harrison on this, and I think his past is being used against him in more than the penalty phase here.

Unpopular viewpoint...but...you are correct as far as I am concerned...McCoy WAS running the ball, he put the ball away and had his head down and then, what looks like out of the corner of his eye he spots the receiver..at this point Harrison is already committed and makes no attempt to conceal his intent ..that being a hard tackle helmet to helmet.This is where the rule breaks down IMO...how do you just switch it on and off? He's a runner and a 1/10th of a second later, he's NOT a runner...who can play within the letter of the law in a situation like that? The only solution I can see is outlawing helmet to helmet hits altogether...at which time Goodell may as well overhaul the entire league and transform it into a flag football league.

Last edited:
one game suspension, THATS IT????? HE's a repeat offender who has publicly stated that he refused to change his ways, this thug doesn't even belong on the field at all.

Well the game they suspended him for was the MNF game Pitt vs 49ers. A game we are watching closely, because Pitt is one of the teams that could give the Saints #2 seed by beating SF.
It might cost them that game to have harrison out, and historically who would be #2 seed. Plus Pitt is desperate to keep pace with the Ravens. Its a huge impact but seems to effect SF, and New Orleans more than anyone else. It would be nice if they had suspended him for the Rams game so that so many other teams are not effected.But, what can you do.

Last edited:
what type of padding is used inside the helmets? the wrong padding can create a lot of reverb and do more harm than good. I worked with high to medium density memory foams designing hockey pads and footwear. it absorbs the impact nicely leaving an indentation that rebounds within seconds. These things are overlooked more often than anticipated in critical areas.

Not sure what the shells made out of. I hear there working on this stuff It'd be nice to see some innovation on it.

A contact sport with players geared up in body armor and a juggernaut helmet that's not aloud to touch anything(eventually) is getting pretty friggin silly. Reducing injuries and reducing zebra launched flag blizzards don't exactly go hand in hand.

what type of padding is used inside the helmets? the wrong padding can create a lot of reverb and do more harm than good. I worked with high to medium density memory foams designing hockey pads and footwear. it absorbs the impact nicely leaving an indentation that rebounds within seconds. These things are overlooked more often than anticipated in critical areas.

Not sure what the shells made out of. I hear there working on this stuff It'd be nice to see some innovation on it.

A contact sport with players geared up in body armor and a juggernaut helmet that's not aloud to touch anything(eventually) is getting pretty friggin silly. Reducing injuries and reducing zebra launched flag blizzards don't exactly go hand in hand.

I agree Riddell should be fined for concussions also :)
All of our boys need better gear to deal with the speed and impact. BMW has Collars for motorcycle riders that connect to the helmet and prevent brain,spine, and neck injuries sense 2005, why isn't this used? It could be built into the shoulder pads at a smaller scale, because they are not nearly having the impact we do when we crash racing.
BMW Motorrad introduces Neck Brace System

Pads could be implemented to surround the knee and ankle, to prevent them from impact or bending the wrong way. So we can limit the rules.
The reason the boys don't have this kind of gear, Im sure, is because of money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey