PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers: James Harrison refuses to visit White House with team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco Volante

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
ProFootballTalk.com - James Harrison Won’t Go To The White House

When the Pittsburgh Steelers visit the White House next week, they’ll do it without one of the men primarily responsible for their sixth Super Bowl title: Linebacker James Harrison.

“This is how I feel — if you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don’t win the Super Bowl,” Harrison said. “As far as I’m concerned, would’ve invited Arizona if they had won.”

Wow.

Re: James Harrison refuses to visit White House with team

ok james...

He did not go before when they won...so it's nothing political...just a bit odd...that's all...

He did not go before when they won...so it's nothing political...just a bit odd...that's all...

You have to respect a man of principle....I'm just not sure what principle he is going for here...

As far as I’m concerned, would’ve invited Arizona if they had won.

Clearly, this man knows something we don't.

To use his vernacular, such a comment is "ig-nant".

His choice. Good for him.

If it was a statement of principle, I could dig that, but what the hell? Is he honestly mad that only the winner gets to go to he white house?

If it was a statement of principle, I could dig that, but what the hell? Is he honestly mad that only the winner gets to go to he white house?

Think about it, what teams havent been able to visit the white house, arizona being one of them.

I understand the entire Detroit Lions team has refused to go.

“This is how I feel — if you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don’t win the Super Bowl,” Harrison said. “As far as I’m concerned, would’ve invited Arizona if they had won.”

Maybe I'm just completely missing his point, but dude, he's not inviting the Pittsburgh Steelers because he's a big fan who waves a yellow towel on Sundays in the fall; he's inviting you because your team won the championship last year. Your statement leaves you appearing to be a buffoon that is not aware of that tradition.

No different invite than every other football, baseball and basketball team has received for decades. Yes, Arizona would have been invited had they won last year - and in fact Detroit would have been invited had they won last year too.

If he is trying to say 'don't use us for votes, I'm not a political pawn', then that's fine - but he should be a little more clear in his statement. If he only wants congratulations from long-time diehard Steeler fans - great, go for it (even if your teammates did show up on Today, Leno, Letterman, etc.) Though I am curious if he did the same thing when the Steelers beat the Seahawks a few years ago.

The biggest problem I have with this is that his message and motivation is unclear. It doesn't change how I view him as a player or the Steelers as an organization, but I just find the whole thing very odd - because I don't know what he's trying to say.

I don't see what the big deal is.

I wouldnt go either. Maybe he has the same level of respect that i have for politicians :D

I would definitely go.

Frankenstein.jpg

He's getting blasted for it but he had a point...

I wouldnt go either. Maybe he has the same level of respect that i have for politicians :D

Me too, I have never met a politician that does not have an individual agenda. This is just a photo op for whomever is in the white house.....and didn't the Steeler ownership support the current president?

It goes both ways - it helps the politician, but it is also one of the government's ways of supporting the NFL. Which, last time I checked, is what makes it possible for Harrison to be a rich guy and to have any noteriety at all, instead of coaching high school football somewhere.

I doubt hosting these guys is high on the President's priorities. He'd probably rather be doing something else.

I do not understand why this is news.. and I do not understand why he doesn't go.. without regard it is no big deal he has choices.

Actually there was a much longer quote that relays a much deeper explanation (pardon please Mr. Shakespeare):

"To visit, or not to visit: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in my mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of political misfortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of fumbles,
And by opposing end them? To eat: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand camera poses
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To practice, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that dream of that interception what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes word of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of Goodell,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the NFL's delay,
The insolence of the Oval office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy hand shakes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare Steeler? who would James bear(?)"

I think it's funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back