PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers extend Roethlisberger with 8-year, $102M ($36M guaranteed) deal [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT Kinda of: Steelers extend Ben

I'm really puzzled by people who don't see how good this kid is. As for "being built on the back of the run" I seem to recall Pittsburgh having no run game in the playoffs, and Roethlisberger carrying them to the Bowl with his passing. Wasn't he the leading rated passer that playoffs, Super Bowl included?

The kid does a 104 season rating with their poor excuse for an offensive line, and you're debating if he's worth it? You've got to be joking. He's probably the best of that young group of guns coming up behind Brady and Manning.

I disagree, and no I don't not see how good he is. In fact I see him as inconsistant - but that's just my opinion.

I just don't think he's worth that kinda money and time - again, my opinion.

And no, he did not have a 104 that season. Peyton led that season.

I disagree, and no I don't not see how good he is. In fact I see him as inconsistant - but that's just my opinion.

I just don't think he's worth that kinda money and time - again, my opinion.

And no, he did not have a 104 that season. Peyton led that season.

Maybe you'd change your opinion if you got your facts straight.

I was talking about a 104 rating for THIS season. 32 TDs against 11 INTs. In this cap age, that's golden.

And "that season" ('05) Roethlisberger led the playoffs in passer rating, again I think you misunderstood what I said. That was without any run support, which is a pretty amazing achievement.

Again, I can't understand why anybody would be high on this kid.

10 characters

You wasted 9.

After we won the third superbowl in 4 years, Kraft publicly stated that they wanted to sign Tom, who was still making relative peanuts after he extended following the first superbowl, to a long term deal. He emphatically stated that unless he wanted Manning money, in which case it would be a very difficult extension to get done. Brady re-upped 3 months later for 6/$60M with $14.5M in signing bonus and $12M in option bonus, plus some skill based guarantees on portions of his backend salaries which were well below average to begin with.

They are a disciplined with him as they are with the rest of the roster. They are fortunate to be sure that he understands why and he is willing to go along. I don't see that changing. This is his team and his legacy, and like BB and SP and BK - legacy matters to TB.

His deal will never be at the top of the position (unless it's for a week or two before Manning gets Polian to trump it...). It may even look paltry by comparison. But in the end he will earn (take home) in the top 3-5 range over the course of his career, and the real money take that seperates those 3-5 will be relatively small (except perhaps as it relates to their first deals as top draft picks - which as Bill says is what it is, history). Is he the best of the 5 - absolutely. But he doesn't measure his success in absolute contract $$$.

PS - another thing you don't grasp is these guys will never be on the open market. And their deals will always reflect that.

Maybe you'd change your opinion if you got your facts straight.

I was talking about a 104 rating for THIS season. 32 TDs against 11 INTs. In this cap age, that's golden.

And "that season" ('05) Roethlisberger led the playoffs in passer rating, again I think you misunderstood what I said. That was without any run support, which is a pretty amazing achievement.

Again, I can't understand why anybody would be high on this kid.

I agree 100% with your last sentence. Have a nice day. ;)

I agree 100% with your last sentence. Have a nice day. ;)

Ha ha -- ya got me. And before coffee too.

Point is, Roethlisberger's done some amazing things for only having played for a few years, and if Derek Anderson can score 24 mil for 3 years... is it really that big a deal what Ben got?

Point is, Roethlisberger's done some amazing things for only having played for a few years, and if Derek Anderson can score 24 mil for 3 years... is it really that big a deal what Ben got?

Ok, I really don't want to argue about Ben. I respect your opinion.

The most amazing things he's done in his first 5 seasons are manage not to lose a superbowl, lead his 6th seed team to that superbowl with a little help from Manning having "protection" issues, and not killing himself, merely maiming himself and his teams season.

While that may trump 1 season of taking the Browns to within a choke of the playoffs for the first time in a decade, it isn't in the same league as what Manning and Brady have accomplished. Heck, Brady had 3 rings in his first 5 years in the league.

Ben and Romo are gunslingers ala Favre. They can produce some high highs as long as you can stomach the lowest of lows, usually when they try to do too much or inexplicable veer away from a prescribed formula or stubbornly try to force the issue. I really think realizing that was why Cowher opted out. He let Plax walk because he and Ben were scheming plays off the reservation. And I think that he was already butting heads with Wisenhut is the reason he too had to move on to be a HC. The Rooney's chose the franchise QB over coaching.

Ben and Romo want to be Tom Brady, but they aren't able or willing to put in the preperation time that he and Manning embrace. Favre could never get the gist of all that film work either. Just sling it.

Ben Roethlisberger is a stupid idiot.

yeah i'd like to order a Roethlisberger and fries... hold the pickles.

Because he's the highest paid QB in football.

If I were running a team and he were available, would I offer him $15 million? Yes, instantly.

If I had a choice of, say, signing Shawne Merriman and Asomugha to $7.5 million contracts each or paying Peyton Manning $15 million, I'm giving the money to Manning. I'm convinced that Brady gets $18 at least on the open market.

I just don't like that thinking. The highest paid at each position is usually signed to a bad contract (either when first signed, towards the end, or both). Maybe a player can get that if he goes FA, but the expectation is for all teams to hand out bad contracts?

Also, I don't think it scales down well. Brady/Peyton are worth at least twice as much as Ben R in my world. HoF guys like Brady and Manning have to be considered outliers.

Also, Ben wasn't going to hit the open market any time soon. Brady wouldn't either. They're worth franchising twice, even at the QB rate.

If Big Ben gets $100mil/36 guaranteed what is Brady worth?

To keep TB up to retirement and to spread out the bonus it will have to be in the 8 yr $120 mil 50 mil guaranteed range.

Re: If Big Ben gets $100mil/36 guaranteed what is Brady worth?

One billion dollars.

My soul.

10 char

300 ,mil/108 guarenteed 3x times the amount

Well, the good thing is Brady is on the record saying that money is not the most important thing, winning is, and that he wants to finish his career with the Patriots.

Of course Moss has said the same thing and according to Mike Reiss is now shopping himself to other teams, so I guess we can't fault Brady if he goes back on his earlier statements and begins exploring trades with other teams, should the Patriots not offer him as much money as he thinks he is worth.

Very few here seem troubled by Moss doing that, so I'm sure no one will have a problem should Brady begin exploring his options with other teams should extension negotiations ever bog down. Otherwise they'd be incredible hypocrites themselves.

So I think Brady can feel free to safely test the NFL market outside of the Patriots organization and that won't give fans here the slightest pause, if recent Moss-related activities are any indication.

Last edited:

400 poo dollars and some cool ranch doritos

Well, the good thing is Brady is on the record saying that money is not the most important thing, winning is, and that he wants to finish his career with the Patriots.

Of course Moss has said the same thing and according to Mike Reiss is now shopping himself to other teams, so I guess we can't fault Brady if he goes back on his earlier statements and begins exploring trades with other teams, should the Patriots not offer him as much money as he thinks he is worth.

Very few here seem troubled by Moss doing that, so I'm sure no one will have a problem should Brady begin exploring his options with other teams should extension negotiations ever bog down. Otherwise they'd be incredible hypocrites themselves.

So I think Brady can feel free to safely test the NFL market outside of the Patriots organization and that won't give fans here the slightest pause, if recent Moss-related activities are any indication.

If he ever tested the waters I would have a big proplem, though the problem would be with the Patriots originization not Brady.

evil-doctor.jpg

ONE HUNDRED...BILLION DOLLARS!!!!!

To keep TB up to retirement and to spread out the bonus it will have to be in the 8 yr $120 mil 50 mil guaranteed range.

It's being discussed somewhat rationally here. After Manning signed his 9 year $128M (or 7 year $98M deal) Tom - who had already won 3 rings to Manning's 0 signed a 6 year $60M deal. Tom will never sign one of those phony inflated $100M deals. He will get a 4-5 year extension to his present deal sometime soon. His bonus money will be in the same range as Ben's, but there will be some incentives and guarantees and perhaps option language at the backend and it will be a deal he can finish his career with, not get cut when his cap outstrips his value.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=78987

Priceless.

If he ever tested the waters I would have a big proplem, though the problem would be with the Patriots originization not Brady.

Exactly, Joe is ignoring the fact that Moss is a FA by the teams choice. Brady will never be. At worst his final cap is $11M, so they could franchise him 3 times - even exclusively - and still come out ahead of the game given he won that first ring for around $350K!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back