PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers drafts

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hats off to the Steelers, they have a formula and draft quality athletes to fill their system.

National Football League: NFL Draft History - by Team

Roethlisberger
Polamalu
Woodley <-- former draft binkie
Mendenhall <-- former draft binkie
Pouncey
Hampton
Faneca
Holmes
Burress

Last edited:
So?I don't get it...:confused2:

Guys, if you focus on the good draft picks and omit all the busts, it'll make it look like you're really good at drafting. Duh!

Don't me a bunch of sensitive little homers, the Steelers are a good drafting team and so are the Colts. I hope the Patriots crush them both but I do respect their ability to evaluate talent.

Don't me a bunch of sensitive little homers, the Steelers are a good drafting team and so are the Colts. I hope the Patriots crush them both but I do respect their ability to evaluate talent.
Yep, NE, Pit, and Indy are all considered good drafting teams who evaluate talent specific to their own programs. Here, watching NE as closely as we do, we see the failures and weigh them more heavily than the failures of the other two clubs. The proof of good drafting is how each organization has been competitive in the postseason lottery. Is not NE a good drafting team when their #2 QB takes them to an 11-5 record? How bad are they when they can lose a starting 1st round DE, a starting CB, a starting OG and the former starting RT who was to replace him, plus trade away a hall of fame WR and still be 6-2 halfway through the season? :cool:

Yep, NE, Pit, and Indy are all considered good drafting teams who evaluate talent specific to their own programs. Here, watching NE as closely as we do, we see the failures and weigh them more heavily than the failures of the other two clubs. The proof of good drafting is how each organization has been competitive in the postseason lottery. Is not NE a good drafting team when their #2 QB takes them to an 11-5 record? How bad are they when they can lose a starting 1st round DE, a starting CB, a starting OG and the former starting RT who was to replace him, plus trade away a hall of fame WR and still be 6-2 halfway through the season? :cool:

Yep, the Pats rock and we are much harder on them because we follow their every move.

Yep, NE, Pit, and Indy are all considered good drafting teams who evaluate talent specific to their own programs.

The key is that each organization has solid ownership and is solid in the front office. They have a method and a strategy and follow it accordingly. They pick athletes that project well in the scheme and not vice versa.

I would include San Diego in this list of teams with a solid draft history as well. Especially if you include uncovering UDFA gems. San Diego has uncovered a ton of UDFA gems, but for some strange reasons lets most of them get away. (Bad coaching I guess)

Some Indy fans are already calling Jerry Hughes a bust and most consider Donald Brown and Anthony Gonzalez busts. Ugoh.....all firsts or basically firsts when you consider the Ugoh trade.

Pitt hasn't had first round whiffs as above but Limas Sweed, Bruce Davis and Anthony Smith are all (old) day one misses. Ziggy Hood is still developing and may be a fine player but by the standards set around here he would be getting the bust tag already for sure and he went 8 picks higher than Brace.

Career:

Hood 16 tackles, one sack
Brace 23 tackles, no sacks

DL those numbers don't tell the entire story but just for reference.

I agree that the Steelers and Colts draft well, and I believe this new salary cap era put planning over talent, so teams like that will eventually become the cream of the crop... but to put the Steelers and Colts above the Patriots might be too much.

I see Belichick's drafts as being Pioli-era and then post-Pioli-era, and that really scared me when Pioli left. I judged Belichick as the X-and-O's guy while Pioli was the talent evaluator. But I was gladly wrong: the years without Pioli have been great.
Look at the 2009 draft: Chung has been a difference maker, Brace is a important part of the D-line rotation, Vollmer is a Mankins-like reach that was succesfull, Tate was a great pick that will improve when he can play like the #2 wideout he really is, and I also see greatness in Pryor's future and hope Edelman can go back to his rookie production. So, aside from Butler, Belichick's first draft without Pioli went pretty well. He had 13 picks with no first rounders and got 6 players who already contributed. In a draft made without any very high picks, it's tough to get an almost 50% hit rate.

But the 2010 draft, IMO, will go down as one of the best in Belichick's legacy. He not only got loaded for the next draft with a very high pick from Carolina, he also got guys who contributed from day one: McCourty, Gronkowski, Spikes, Hernandez and Mesko; and a guy who I bet will become one of the cornestones of the defense until the end of this season, Cunningham; with a very-low pick that has helped, Deaderick. Price, being a third rounder, can be labeled as the only bust.
So far this class has produced 114 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 interceptions, 9 passes defended and 48 catches for 584 yards and 5 touchdowns through 8 games. That is above-average production from a rookie class.

When you look at the Colts 2010 draft, they got 1rst rounder Jerry Hughes (1 tackle in 2010), 2nd rounder Pat Angerer (30 tackles, 1 sack and 1 fumble forced), 3rd rounder Kevin Thomas (no stats), 4th rouner Jacques McClendon (guard, 1 game played), 5th rounder Brody Eldridge (3 catches for 23 yards and no touchdowns), 7th rounder Kavell Conner (5 tackles) and then two other 7th rounders who didn't do anything. That's under-average production from a rookie class.

The 2010 Steelers' Draft got 1rst rounder Maurkice Pouncey (center, 8 starts), 2nd rounder Jason Worilds (5 tackles, 1 sack), 3rd rounder Emmanuel Sanders (4 catches for 76 yards), 4th rounder Thaddeus Gibson (already cut, now with the 49ers), 5th rounder Stevenson Sylvester (4 tackles, 1 fumble forced), 7th rounder Antonio Brown (1 catch for 6 yards) and some other guys with no stats. That's average production from a rookie class.

I now these stats can be deceiving because the Patriots had more holes and less proved starters, since they're pretty much rebuilding, but it still servers as testament to Belichick's great talent evaluation, specially in the post-Pioli era, and it also shows that the team is being built for the future (what's the whole point of the draft, really)... And Belichick did all that while stockpiling draft picks, getting wins and keeping most key veterans (Wilfork, Bodden, TBC, Brady, etc). That's remarkable.

Hats off to the Steelers, they have a formula and draft quality athletes to fill their system.

National Football League: NFL Draft History - by Team

Roethlisberger
We didn't need him, and he was taken ahead of our first pick (Wilfork) anyway.

Polamalu
With Rodney & Milloy still on the payroll, we didn't need him ahead of DE (Warren).

Woodley <-- former draft binkie
Ya got me there. He def. should've been taken ahead of BM.

Mendenhall <-- former draft binkie
Good RB, but we didn't need him ahead of Mayo (or Ryan Clady).

Pouncey
My choice for #21, but was already taken by then.

Hampton
Good NT, but not as good as Seymour, taken a dozen spots ahead of him, was/is at DE.

Faneca
Before Bill's time. Blame that one on Booby Grier.

Holmes
Taken after LaMa, but already gone by the time Bill traded for CJack.

Burress
Long gone by the time Bill drafted Adrian Klemm.

Don't forget the most glaring mistake, so far:
Bill drafted Bethel Tate, then PitsDirt took WR Mike Wallace immed. afterwards.
Our offense could've had Moss' heir apparent right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes