PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers drafting

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
No doubt, the Steelers are the best drafting team in the NFL. Have they ever signed a free agent or traded for a player?

Lets sign their GM...

Hate them with every ounce of my soul, hate them, hate them, hate them.

No doubt, the Steelers are the best drafting team in the NFL. Have they ever signed a free agent or traded for a player?

Lets sign their GM...

I like Tillamook Extra-Sharp White Cheddar cheese.

Lets sign their GM...

Agreed on both things, hate them with a passion, and they draft better than ANY team in the NFL. Unfortunately, they are gonna win their 6th SB in 2 weeks :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Tillamook Extra-Sharp White Cheddar cheese.

Sure some of that, pair it with a Stags Leap Cabernet Sauvignon 1985....

Honestly, they are solid, year in and out. Lest us forget they drafted Mendehall and he only played a couple of games.

Their drafts bury the Patriots (and all other teams).

Tom Brady owns them but this is the draft forum so I digress.

Lets sign their GM...

I wouldn't get too caught up in draft envy. We've done pretty well. San Diego seems to me to give Pittsburgh a run for their money.

The biggest thing about Pittsburgh is that they seem very consistent in what they are looking for. They remain true to their system, and draft the kind of players who fit into their system ... sounds familiar, no? They seem to like tough blue collar physical players (Hines Ward, Rothlisberger, Farrior, Harrison, Faneca, etc.).

BTW, James Farrior was signed as a FA from the Jets in 2002. He's a good example of a FA player who fits within their system. Mewelde Moore (RB) and Justin Hartwig (C) were more recent signings. But they clearly emphasize the draft first, rather than taking a high profile FA approach.

They're a great franchise and deserve all the success they've had. I respect them as a worthy opponent. My only gripe with the Steelers is the whining that they were "cheated" out of 2 superbowls.

They definitely believe that bigger is better.

My only gripe with the Steelers is the whining that they were "cheated" out of 2 superbowls.

/\ Yes this idea is chicken poop.

Timmons was a really odd draft choice because he was a 4-3 LB in college. Hasn't done jack since being drafted. However, the Steelers are one of the best teams in the league when it comes to drafting. In fact, I think they are the best at grooming young players to take over when the Steelers lose their starters to free agency. A perfect example of this, Joey Porter is replaced by James Harrison and Clark Haggans is replaced by Lamar Woodley.

Its because they always Draft Fast LB it seems when it took BB almost Ten years just to draft one early.:mad:

Last edited:
The Pats had their run of years with good drafts and they seem to have been neck and neck for awhile. But recently over the last few years, the Steelers have been by themselves.

Ofcourse everyone on this board was screaming for us to draft Lamar Woodley on draft day. A huge majority in fact if I recall right. Their front office had nothing on us fans that day.

Timmons was a really odd draft choice because he was a 4-3 LB in college. Hasn't done jack since being drafted. However, the Steelers are one of the best teams in the league when it comes to drafting. In fact, I think they are the best at grooming young players to take over when the Steelers lose their starters to free agency. A perfect example of this, Joey Porter is replaced by James Harrison and Clark Haggans is replaced by Lamar Woodley.

part of the original plan when tomlin took over was that he was going to switch the steelers to a 4-3 which is possibly why they drafted him.......

Lets sign their GM...

They have a very good understanding of what kind of team they are, the system they run, and the players that fit the system.

I was very high on Woodley two years ago which was a great pick.

It says a lot for having the same sytem in place for years becuase they are not constantly running players in and out that don't fit a la 4-3/3-4/4-3 Jest's

Very similar concept to the Pats. one area the Steelers and Pats differ on are DB's/ Seems likle the pats like the small quick CB and the Steelers like bigger guys. Although Brady and Co. has busted those big CB's As* for years now.

Lets sign their GM...

James Farrior and James Harrison were both Free Agents whom they signed from other teams. Farrior from the Jets and Harrison a UDFA.

Charlie Batch, Mitch Berger, Tyrone Carter, Fernando Bryant, Nick Eason, Keyaron Fox, Justin Hartwig, Travis Kirschke, Byron Leftwich, Sean McHugh, Mewelde Moore, Orpheus Roye.

So, they sign some to fill in holes, like the Patriots do. But they tend to like to fill in from the draft. Like the Patriots do. But then, Belichick has said, that he has tried to model the Pats after the Steelers in that respect.

Its because they always Draft Fast LB it seems when it took BB almost Ten years just to draft one early.:mad:

Its about value. And they don't always draft fast LBers. Clark Haggans wasn't fast. Neither is Larry Foote.

The Steelers draft to fill roles. And develop the players to fill those roles. Tis is what you don't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down