Steelers and the two point conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froob

Independent Investigator & pliable af
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
That deadly Steelers sideline has crunched some numbers and sounds like Ben wants to go for 2 everytime. We're guaranteed to get 2 pt conversations pushed back too if they beat the Ravens on a 2 pt conversation right?

Ben Roethlisberger wants to go for 2 every time? Why it's not nuts

On a serious note, curious to see if BB and Dr. Pink Stripes (if he's real) are crunching some numbers themselves.

I agree with the concept. If your offense features Brady, Gronk, Bennett, Edelman, Lewis etc. I'll take my chances.

I thought they wanted to do that last season too. But stopped doing it down the road.

This team needs to work on the 2-point conversion. Last year's playoff loss still bothers me.

Gronk was open, no? Brady didn't see him or too much pressure?

I thought they wanted to do that last season too. But stopped doing it down the road.

Might have been pressure mentally in Brady's mind. It's impossible to get comfortable when you've taken that many hits. His mental clock was on day light savings time.

Once they moved back the XP, I was thinking most teams with good offenses would go for 2 every time. The league average is somewhere around 50% for success rate but obviously if you have a good offense your success rates will be higher thus making statistical sense to go for 2.

The Pats RZ offense is always among the top in the league. Throw in Bennett, Hogan and a healthy Lewis and you go for 2 every. damn. time. Hope we see it more this year.

Talib was holding him down by his jersey and Gronk couldn't use his height advantage to get up for the pass.

Talib was holding him down by his jersey and Gronk couldn't use his height advantage to get up for the pass.

I haven't watched any replays of that game. But what I remember was Gronk went to the end of the endzone, went right and came open. Talib was closer to the line of scrimmage and defended the pass which was going to someone else?

I haven't watched any replays of that game. But what I remember was Gronk went to the end of the endzone, went right and came open. Talib was closer to the line of scrimmage and defended the pass which was going to someone else?

It could be that I was thinking of another play. Let me see if I can find it somehow.

It could be that I was thinking of another play. Let me see if I can find it somehow.
you're thinking of an earlier play on 4th and 6 at 2:25 in the 4th quarter that talib was holding on:

here's the 2-pt play:

tags: gfycat broncos gronk gronkowski talib

Last edited:
Once they moved back the XP, I was thinking most teams with good offenses would go for 2 every time. The league average is somewhere around 50% for success rate but obviously if you have a good offense your success rates will be higher thus making statistical sense to go for 2.

The Pats RZ offense is always among the top in the league. Throw in Bennett, Hogan and a healthy Lewis and you go for 2 every. damn. time. Hope we see it more this year.

Two things here:

(1) The 2PC has a success rate near 50% right now. But is that because of or in spite of its relative rarity?

(2) Even if that might be true for most teams, with Gostkowski, it's basically a wash.

you mean the 4th and 6 play? he's definitely grabbing gronk's jersey with his left hand. the second video shows it best.

I can see your argument, but I don't see a penalty getting called there too often. Even after watching it over and over, it doesn't appear to me to be anything blatantly obvious.

you mean the 4th and 6 play? he's definitely grabbing gronk's jersey with his left hand. the second video shows it best.

I can see your argument, but I don't see a penalty getting called there too often. Even after watching it over and over, it doesn't appear to me to be anything obvious.

I can see your argument, but I don't see a penalty getting called there too often. Even after watching it over and over, it doesn't appear to me to be anything blatantly obvious.

That and the fact that there were two other defenders right there. That one had a low probability of being complete regardless.

Two things here:

(1) The 2PC has a success rate near 50% right now. But is that because of or in spite of its relative rarity?

(2) Even if that might be true for most teams, with Gostkowski, it's basically a wash.

Re: (2)

It sure was a wash in our last playoff game...

I doubt the Steelers' success rate of 8-11 would be sustainable in a larger sample size.

There's also the coaching issue that it's one more kind of play to work out. A traditional PAT is just like a FG that you're going to practice anyway, with little variation from one try to another. But just how many 4th-and-goal-to-go plays are you going to have in your arsenal?

E.g., recall the Super Bowl in which we all knew what the Pats' play call would be on a 2-point conversion, even before it was clear the try would occur? Yet in subsequent years, the Pats have finally deemphasized the direct-snap play, and I'm not sure that anything else has replaced it for reliability.

its a sneaky pulling gronk down before he was about to jump thats why ref didnt see/call it.

Consider using a mobile QB on the go for 2 plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back