Welcome to PatsFans.com

Stay Out of Baltimore

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by State, Jun 6, 2009.

1. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

The city is a "war zone," in the words of a friend reporting back to me what a nun in Mother Teresa's order calls it. The Catholic order has a home in the middle of the mayhem in inner city Baltimore.

But I had heard there were good, safe places, such as by the harbor. Apparently, not anymore.

Assaults on rise in downtown, Inner Harbor -- baltimoresun.com

HT: Baltimore's black youth intifada

Looks my only visiting of Baltimore will be its airport.

Another municipality "saved" by the glories of Democratically controlled politics, media, and the judges. See what liberalism can do for you? Look what it's done for Gary, Indiana, and Detroit, Baltimore, Louisville, etc.

Where's Rudy Guiliani when you need him?
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +650 / 2 / -9

The "Left Wing" doesn't want you to know about this and the "Right Wing" won't report it because the "Left Wing" will call them RACIST for reporting it, the "Poor Bastards" in Baltimore are left holding the bag and sh!tting their pants.

If something like this was going on in Montana the National Guard would have been sent in and Mush Mouth Matthews would be spitting and yelling about it until he fell off his chair.

In The Absence Of Law And Order Society Will Surely Destroy Itself

AMERICA IS GOING INSANE
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Crime is related to poverty, not race. Liberals want to address poverty, but conservatives balk at the expenditures. Liberals also want to increase spending on education, but there again conservatives are reluctant to spend more money.

State, what do you think should be done to PREVENT such outbreaks. Also, if you're afraid of a handful of random acts of violence, you probably can't go anywhere. Bad things can happen any place at any time, but the odds are overwhelming that nothing bad will happen wherever you are.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Rudy Guiliani saved New York:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Funny how the party of family values, always likes the savior that cheats on his wife, cross dresses and is a f.. ing Yankee fan.. he is an opportunist, we have been down this road before exhaustively..
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +505 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

You realize how stupid you sound don't you ? Well, you probably don't.
  6. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +555 / 7 / -9

That's interesting, how this guy focuses on the city I work in, and the city right up the road from me which I have visited numerous times over the years. When I first moved to DC in 1985, within the first year of my arrival there was indeed a murder one night, right next to my building.

Interestingly I lived for a few months prior to that across the Anacostia River, which if you know this area makes you go "Huh?" Anacostia is Washingtonian for "Harlem".

And while there are probably plenty of parts of Harlem that doen't comport with the televised and word-of-mouth reputation of Harlem, and while there was a literary movement of great import born in Harlem, you still expect a harder time in Harlem than you do in some trendier area (Upper West Side? Do I have that right?)

Well, I moved from Anacostia, which was supposed to be the Heart of D.C. Darkness, to a trendier area in NorthWest. (We also delineate liveability by quadrant: Southeast is no good. Northwest is very good.) Like I say, within a couple months, they found a murder victim in the alley next to the building.

Now, that's just a somewhat disturbing part of life in the cities. Violent crime waxes and wanes. It usually shoots up along with unemployment and poverty, so for the time being, if you're of a mind to be paranoid, I'd be moreso.

As to the barbarians-at-the-gates underlying premise (or perhaps more accurately barbarians-within-the-gates,) fail. I've lived in cities or close-in suburbs my entire post-college life, and the fantasies spun by those in the exurbs capture only the phenomenon of violent crimes which have always been part of urban life. You never stop having to fight the fight to keep the risk down. You also never stopped having the need for cities, up until now (although I will say that the advent of computer remote networking makes the effective span of a city worldwide, so it is quite possible that cities are on the way out.)

Once the affluent no longer need population concentrations to peddle goods in brick-and-mortar ways, one can easily envision a ramped-up decentralization, where the hub is less important than the suburbs around it, then becomes only recognizable as the formerly-important middle city out of several in a relatively tight-knit region. The exception will be the industrial city, which of course is already a greatly eviscerated phenomenon. None of them will ever again grow to be a region-dominating behemoth.

I love watching change unfold; in a way, we're all blessed by this today. We can watch changes that once took hundreds of years happen in decades. Of course, the same applies to things like, oh I dunno, the earth's warming, the collapse of civilization, whatever.

But then, life gets dull without an element of risk, right? ;)

PFnV
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

It was tongue in cheek.. oh mighty self righteous one!!!
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +505 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I don't believe you since your only attacks on Gingrich are pretty much exactly the same.
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Whether you believe it or not, do not give a f..ck get off your mighty high horse and share your moralistic wealth across the board.. try not to be so exclusive to specific posters.
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +505 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

This is a funny post considering a while ago you said that spelling in posts is a sign of intelligence or lack thereof. While I disagree, as it's only a message board, with you having said that you should try to sounds little more intelligent here - if you can.
  11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Take your suggestions under advisement, oh wait a minute probably will not change.. stay on your moral high horse and keep policing, we need more folks like you.. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: and keep ignoring the obvious shortcomings on the other side. The exclusivity is obvious..
  12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

You believe liberalism has created this problem? That's awesome. You don't watch the Wire on HBO, do you? It's about Baltimore, in fact.

Are you going to sit here and suggest it was "liberalism" that initiated the influx of drugs into this country? Or the criminalization of it?
  13. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

this is simply untrue........some of the most impoverished portions of the country aren't as crime-riddled as some of the more well-off places.......

appalacia, indigenous portions of the southwest are amongst the most impoverished, and the crime in those places is not as bad as in queens, or inner harbor, or south boston or places like compton, CA

crime is the result of a combination of factors, the biggest of which population density...at least in terms of violent crime.........
  14. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Take out Gingrich and insert anyone associated with conservatism, republicans, or he just plain does not like :rolleyes:

And he did it to highjack the thread, knowing someone(me, you, Harry, or someone else) would bite...you bit.

Best to ignore him when he does this, he is only trying to kill threads :cool:
  15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Wise person, who does not know what he is talking about, as usual.. I was responding to the first comment that Guiliani is some type of savior who can magically change cities.. he is none of that. If it was that easy every city would just adopt his formula... if you read the subsequent threads you will some first hand comments that debunk the blog...

BTW do not mention about people hijacking a thread... you are a classic example.. see post #14.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  16. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There are cities where it is bad regardless of the economic situation...some strong economic cities still have a crime problem. To me it is tied in with the overall poverty of the city and the people as was noted before.

I live in one and moved out of one last year...the crimes here are tied in to the youth population and gangs which have no ties to the economy except seeing some rises in demand for drugs during down years but otherwise stay consistently high
  17. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Crime is related to population density, poverty, education levels, etc. Population density certainly ranks high, but I'm not sure it ranks higher than poverty given that well-to-do sections of cities tend to have low crime. But, statistics don't seem to break down that way. I know where I live, in a "good" part of Cambridge, crime is very rare. (I can think of two break ins in my building, one act of vandalism, and nothing that would constitute assault during the last 15 years.)

Also,
    Bureau of Justice Statistics Crime Characteristics

* Six urban residents, four suburban residents and four rural residents per 1,000 were victims of an aggravated assault.

* Suburban and rural residents were victims of violence other than rape/sexual assault at similar rates during 2005.
  18. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My hometown is the prime example of everything being talked about: poverty stricken city, largely minority(about 2/3rds by estimate, including illegals), high crime rate, small size(1.7 square miles), strong base of employment but not large enough to sustain the population of 35,000.

I have seen firsthand crime shoot up in the city, my old neighborhood used to be a decent place but now drugs are being dealt on the corner in open, gangs of kids roam the streets most of the time, police are frequent visitors to the point where the department needed to put on a new overlapping shift just to meet the demands for the lower half of the city where the bulk of the people live.

And the mention of more affluent neighborhoods holds true here- Prattville and Admirals Hill, the two ritzy neighborhoods, are almost crime ridden except for the occasional vandalism(on state park property usually) and drunken disturbance calls that any city has.
  19. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

Really?

In the Great Depression the poverty was ten times greater and the crime one third what it is now. These are hard, cold facts.

Care to explain?

Such foolish leftist sentiments caused people, such as Norman Mailer, to actually celebrate graffiti in the 1970s, as an artistic expression of the disenfranchised.

Let me guess, Patters, you have a graduate degree. What you said is a false.

Did you excuse the LA Riots on similar grounds?

(Another would be there's no inherent difference between the sexes beyond the obvious genitalia.)
  20. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

Yes, I believe liberalism caused much of the problem.

No, I don't watch TV. I'm too busy reading books such as Myron Magnet's The Dream and the Nightmare, a terrific read, arguing in the affirmative what I have just said.

Check it out.