PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Status on Alfonzo Dennard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's completely irrelevant to my post since they already had a legitimate starting QB as the starter prior to Brady's arrival, although he didn't fit the new system, and it also ignores the amount of resources spent on the CBs.

It's not completely irrelevant, Deus. Fact is that Dennard got his chance to play because of an Injury to a starter in the secondary. Much the way Brady did when Bledsoe went down.

The number of resources spent on CBs is irrelevant because you can't see the future before you have to use those resources. So, you are using hindsight to make your judgement. The Pats couldn't know that Wheatley would suffer a similar fracture to his left wrist that he had to his right wrist and that it would destroy his confidence. They couldn't account for Corwin Brown screwing up the confidence of Darius Butler. Nor could they foretell that Dowling would suffer a catastrophic hip injury as a rookie that would require surgery or the catastrophic thigh injury that pulled muscle off of bone.

And before you go on about Dowling having been injured in college, the minor stuff was over-blown and the major stuff (the broken ankle) was something that, again, is out of his control.

We are in major disagreement here, Az.

We all realize the gamble when blitzing, that is not to be disputed. What was likely incorrect though, was using it in that situation of the game...much like the SB42 call to allow Ellis Hobbs the task of trying to cover a WR who was 6-7" taller than him one-on-one on an island.

There are times to try and gamble, and there are times when you simply cannot risk doing that.

I understand that Belichick is extremely gifted as a coach, and I hardly ever have any problem with his decisions. In this instance I do not believe that he made the proper call.

It also could be argued that the high majority of us expected Arrington to get torched vs Crabtree in that situation for multiple reasons that are too many to even list here. Giving him adequate safety help or re-adjusting the scheme (or even personnel) would likely have been a much better choice in that situation.

"It is what it is," so let's move on, but Arrington is not very good when lined up outside one-on-one vs Brian Hartline...let alone Michael Crabtree. It was a move that had a very high percentage of failing, and that is what happened.

Yeah I know. You should only blitz whan they get to and sack the QB. In your opinion, they shoud not blitz when they don't get to the QB.:eek:;)

Yeah I know. You should only blitz whan they get to and sack the QB. In your opinion, they shoud not blitz when they don't get to the QB.:eek:;)

;)

I just personally don't feel that the time was right to gamble, with just having tied the game, and also the terrible matchup of Arrington vs Crabtree in one-on-one coverage on an island.

They haven't blitzed too much in the current season, actually in the past few seasons IIRC. The choice to do so at that juncture of the game under those specific circumstances is what I personally had a problem with.

;)

I just personally don't feel that the time was right to gamble, with just having tied the game, and also the terrible matchup of Arrington vs Crabtree in one-on-one coverage on an island.

They haven't blitzed too much in the current season, actually in the past few seasons IIRC. The choice to do so at that juncture of the game under those specific circumstances is what I personally had a problem with.

The weather conditions made passes from a weak passing offense a low % play and they had pretty much abandoned the run at that point. I think that's why BB was teeing off on the blitz so much, there was a great chance for a turnover and a lower chance for Kaepernick to find an open receiver and connect properly.

so what's his status? I guess no one knows.

Listen buddy, if you want to know his status so badly, why don't you go find a thread called 'Status on Alfonzo Dennard?' and post in THAT one. Otherwise, stay on topic

It's not completely irrelevant, Deus. Fact is that Dennard got his chance to play because of an Injury to a starter in the secondary. Much the way Brady did when Bledsoe went down.

The number of resources spent on CBs is irrelevant because you can't see the future before you have to use those resources. So, you are using hindsight to make your judgement. The Pats couldn't know that Wheatley would suffer a similar fracture to his left wrist that he had to his right wrist and that it would destroy his confidence. They couldn't account for Corwin Brown screwing up the confidence of Darius Butler. Nor could they foretell that Dowling would suffer a catastrophic hip injury as a rookie that would require surgery or the catastrophic thigh injury that pulled muscle off of bone.

And before you go on about Dowling having been injured in college, the minor stuff was over-blown and the major stuff (the broken ankle) was something that, again, is out of his control.

I wouldn't try and convince Deus that he once again does not understand my concept... Perhaps he needs someone to explain it to him ssslllloowwly....it takes awhile for several in here to get it while some actually dont talk or think from out of their backside.

Fonzie back at practice today. Gronk to.

Good to hear Gronk and Dennard at practice today. Will have to find out in what capacity tho :D

Good to hear Gronk and Dennard at practice today. Will have to find out in what capacity tho :D

I do not want to see Gronk play this weekend....the opposition is a 2-12 team that should be beaten soundly with or without Brady,let alone Gronk.

Let Dennard sit as well if he is hurting.....worst case scenerio is we get the 4th seed which is an easier road anyway.

I do not want to see Gronk play this weekend....the opposition is a 2-12 team that should be beaten soundly with or without Brady,let alone Gronk.

Let Dennard sit as well if he is hurting.....worst case scenerio is we get the 4th seed which is an easier road anyway.

Any given Sunday - Denver could lose.

I'd hate to lose a shot at the #2 seed and a bye.

I don't want to see Arrington on the outside CB position. If Dennard is healthy, make sure he's active. Gronk can rest but should play in a game to shake off some rust. Half the Miami game is fine.

;)

There are a couple of reasons why a blitz was needed at that moment

1. IIRC the ball was around the 35. the Pats needed a big play to move them back a few yards and out of FG range (remember SF would be kicking into the wind with a weak kicker. It wouldn't have taken much to take them out of FG range)

2. Personally if you look at it, I thought that was a designed RUN blitz, again for the reason I gave above. I think the Pats thought that SF would run the ball on first down and wanted to create a negative play.

3. The risk was worth the reward. What was the downside. If the score on the play, like they did, the Pats now have 3 minutes to get the score back. If they play zone and let SF gain 15-20 yds before they stop them, they can take clock off board and kick a makeable FG and leave no time on the clock for a response

Its easy to Monday morning QB that decision, but for the most part I think it was the right one. I wish it had worked out better, but it wasn't the worst thing that could have happened. The worst thing would have been for the to get a few first downs and kill the clock. I don't think the Pats had a lot of choice there.....and the Niners knew it too and made a nice call

Last edited:

1. IIRC the ball was around the 35. the Pats needed a big play to move them back a few yards and out of FG range (remember SF would be kicking into the wind with a weak kicker. It wouldn't have taken much to take them out of FG range)

2. Personally if you look at it, I thought that was a designed RUN blitz, again for the reason I gave above. I think the Pats thought that SF would run the ball on first down and wanted to create a negative play.

3. The risk was worth the reward. What was the downside. If the score on the play, like they did, the Pats now have 3 minutes to get the score back. If they play zone and let SF gain 15-20 yds before they stop them, they can take clock off board and kick a makeable FG and leave no time on the clock for a response

Its easy to Monday morning QB that decision, but for the most part I think it was the right one. I wish it had worked out better, but it wasn't the worst thing that could have happened. The worst thing would have been for the to get a few first downs and kill the clock. I don't think the Pats had a lot of choice there.....and the Niners knew it too and made a nice call

Nice analysis Ken.

That's why I considered the KR at that point to be the biggest play of the game. It killed us in so many ways. If we are able to get a touchback there or even make them start from their own 25-30, I think we win that game just based on how the flow was at that point. Instead our defense was on their heels and their offense was able to take advantage.

That's why I considered the KR at that point to be the biggest play of the game. It killed us in so many ways. If we are able to get a touchback there or even make them start from their own 25-30, I think we win that game just based on how the flow was at that point. Instead our defense was on their heels and their offense was able to take advantage.

I thought they panicked about a field goal and cost themselves a touchdown To me, that was the problem.

The only problem with this was that they didn't get the score back, and there certainly was no guarantee of doing so against the SF defense. While I understand your point, I don't think that Belichick risks giving up scores with the thought that they can simply come back and tie the game again. In the case of the SB last year there was simply no other option, and I think we were all screaming at the TV to allow the score in that situation, but that is totally different.

There was also plenty of time remaining...at least 5 minutes+ at that point, possibly longer. They also had 2 timeouts. I personally didn't see much chance of SF running the clock out, but that's just my opinion.

We probably won't see eye to eye on this one, and there really isn't a right/wrong answer so that is fine. They did what they did, so there's no use of me complaining about it.

Like I said, I don't question Belichick too often, so I was due ;)

In all honesty, that may not have mattered whether they were at their own 5 or on our 35, due to Crabtree not having anything between him and the endzone.

I do agree that ST's are obviously very important though, and that it certainly did not help the cause at all.

The Patriots are razor thin at CB. If Talib or Fonsie go down then the Patriots are kaput in the playoffs...

The Patriots are razor thin at CB. If Talib or Fonsie go down then the Patriots are kaput in the playoffs...

I suppose the thinking is that Cole could play inside taking over Arrington's role, while Arrington moves outside--but none of us like that option too much.

There is also the prospect of McCourty playing CB if needed, with Wilson/Chung taking over at one or the other safety positions.

I still am mildly suprised that an additional player wasn't added to the position(s) of secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes