PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Status of free agent RB Danny Woodhead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woodhead

the fact that the pats signed him tells me he is capable of something, It's possible that he may not pan out..who knows...as for running the ball out of the shotgun, he did it with tebow handing him the ball.....the only negative of note regarding demps at FL was that he wasn't the most durable.

the fact that the pats have gotten ridley, vereen, bolden, and demps in the last 2 years tells me that the are all that satisfied with who they've had. woodhead has not been all that in pass pro, either......

when it comes to the offensive scheme, vereen is poised to take most touches from woodhead, and woodhead has never been more than mediocre in the return game.

I just don't see woodhead getting much more than the minimum here, and will likely get more elsewhere.

Woodhead is the best pass protector RB

Re: Woodhead

the best where? on the pats? that ain't sayin' much......and he was none of that when he first got here......

Also you have to think the Patriots will ask Ridley to work on pass catching. He needs to be a better outlet receiver.

Also you have to think the Patriots will ask Ridley to work on pass catching. He needs to be a better outlet receiver.

Do we know that he is not though?

I can see Woody getting more $ from a team like GB and being Rodgers's best friend.

Do we know that he is not though?

My impression is what happens in practice dictates usage in game. If Ridley isn't being targeted by Brady often in those emergency situations it probably means he wasn't very good at it in practice.

If we need a big play, Woodhead would be the first person I would look to, he is so dependable and I would hate to let him go.

He would be perfect for Denver (!) and I wouldn't want to see that... I think he could excel in a slot receiver type role if the Pats feel they have too many backs. But I don't see Bolden or Demps beings locks to make the team next year, although I think Demps speed is something that this offence desperately needs

Re: Woodhead

He's certainly improved over what he was in 2010/2011, that's for sure. He was a major liability in my opinion as far as blitz pickup.

I think that he did a much better job last season, but that still doesn't say too much for our RB position in terms of pass protecting.

Vereen was actually lauded for that aspect coming out of Cal, so maybe he improves in that area.

Agreed. Also, I see nothing wrong with carrying a 5th (injuries often happen at this position), developmental running back on the 53, especially if he is a kick returner. For me, the backups are Bolden and Demps. Neither is in any way an important part of the offense.

Absolutely. It's anyone's guess as to whether we keep 4 or 5, as Belichick assesses those positions differently every year, especially if it's Demps as a ST and developmental back.

And as you and MLR said, we can go back and forth from now until August, but there are many instances of injury that screw these kinds of speculative exercises up.

That's precisely where the depth comes in, and I'd actually guess that there's just as much of a chance as keeping 5 as there is keeping 4.

Plus in the middle of February this point is probably moot anyway since the team could actually grab another RB who has the potential to beat either one of Bolden or Demps out.

I think Woodhead will get solid money elsewhere, and the Pats will miss him.

I certainly think it's very possible that another team could offer him more money for sure, but I suppose it's all about your definition of "solid money."

Considering that the market for RB's isn't all that hot in general and that Woodhead isn't probably even considered by many teams, if any, to be their potential lead back, the solid money may not be as much as some feel.

It would be a shame to lose him over a smaller amount, although it's quite possible that could happen. Then again for all we know Woodhead is Belichick's top priority ;)

I certainly think it's very possible that another team could offer him more money for sure, but I suppose it's all about your definition of "solid money."

Considering that the market for RB's isn't all that hot in general and that Woodhead isn't probably even considered by many teams, if any, to be their potential lead back, the solid money may not be as much as some feel.

It would be a shame to lose him over a smaller amount, although it's quite possible that could happen. Then again for all we know Woodhead is Belichick's top priority ;)

That said there is certainly a market for 3rd down specialty backs, so it's very possible that someone will offer more, I just don't know how much more money it may be.

Woodhead's situation is actually one of the more intriguing aspects of the free agency class for the NEP in my opinion, with Donald Thomas and Kyle Arrington being two more that many are overlooking due to their lack of big names.

All 3 of those players may actually be key, not that I am suggesting they are above Welker's priority level.

Vereen is the X-Factor in this signing. He has a similar skill set to Vereen, but with more explosiveness. It's hard to tell if the Patriots trust him or not though.

That would be too bad because solid money for Woodhead is likely only 2-3 years $3-5M. And on a unit where nobody is making anything that should be a given. Faulk in his prime made around $2.5M per on average. He was a bigger part of the offense by design, but then again the cap was double digits when he got his 6 year $15M deal...and Dillon was on the roster.

I think that Faulk was one of the best value players on the Patriots, so the analogy is encouraging. But we're in a league now that acknowledges RBBC and the predominance of sub packages. It's perfectly reasonable to have Woodhead be the RB on your team who takes the most snaps, or close to it.

Between the two, I think Faulk was the better player, superior to Woodhead in receiving and blocking -- and in the return game -- although Woodhead is the better actual runner. But these are slightly different times.

n..we have no clue what we have in either bolden or demps, though we have seen nice flashes from both

Yeah, Demps flash was so short-lived that if you blinked you missed it. Bolden at least did it in the regular season - Demps has yet to see one. Either way, Demps and Bolden are here and will be if they make it through camp. Woody should be re-signed and I will take him over Demps and Bolden.

I think that Faulk was one of the best value players on the Patriots, so the analogy is encouraging. But we're in a league now that acknowledges RBBC and the predominance of sub packages. It's perfectly reasonable to have Woodhead be the RB on your team who takes the most snaps, or close to it.

Between the two, I think Faulk was the better player, superior to Woodhead in receiving and blocking -- and in the return game -- although Woodhead is the better actual runner. But these are slightly different times.

I think in some respects that's a bit of revisionist history meets urban legend. Faulk had his ups and downs (and 25 fumbles along the way) over thet course of a 13 year career. He wasn't always the best third down back in the league. And that wasn't even what he was drafted in the second round to be. In fact he really only was that for a brief time in his late 20's to very early 30's - after several seasons with the team. And he was fairly well compensated during that period. After the ACL in 2010 he was toast.

The waiver wire UDFA has matched up pretty well in just his first 3 seasons here. Woody is on pace to best Faulk as a back, a receiver and a scoring threat. Faulk was probably a better returner earlier in his career, but that was something they focused on with him. But he wasn't a great one by any stretch, more a servicable one.

People credit Vereen for versatility but underestimate Woodhead's, as Woody could leave as a FA and make big bucks in Peter Jackson's next Hobbit movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes