PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Status of free agent RB Danny Woodhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocHoliday

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
What's a team with Woodhead, Vereen, and a promising Jeff Demps to do?

With thoughts of this team perhaps getting a FB and the move toward taller pass catchers, Danny Woodhead seems like he's seeing spots in the catching and running game disappear around him.

Personally I think it's insane to get rid of one of the most clutch players on the team and ride your hopes on one hit wonder Vereen and unproven Jeff Demps, but the numbers are numbers and they don't look good for Danny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA_2955m8aI

Thoughts?

They'll make him an offer, he'll test the market, and I think he'll probably find a team willing to pay him more than the Pats.

They'll make him an offer, he'll test the market, and I think he'll probably find a team willing to pay him more than the Pats.

Yeah. Woodhead is really good at what he does. There's several teams that need a 3rd down back, and he's the best to hit the market since Darren Sproles. In particular, I can see the Giants wanting him. They pass the cover out of the ball and they might want a 3rd down type to replace Ahmad Bradshaw. The one wildcard factor is whether or not he's amenable to a below-market deal, which is not out of the question.

Many talked like this when Faulk was here. Woodhead is a major asset to the offense. I don't want to lose him. As was the case with Faulk, Woodhead is the leader of the running backs.

Many talked like this when Faulk was here. Woodhead is a major asset to the offense. I don't want to lose him. As was the case with Faulk, Woodhead is the leader of the running backs.

It may also be somewhat of a hint that the team didn't really seem to trust Shane Vereen all that much vs BAL, after having the biggest game of his career just a week before.

Demps is nothing but an unproven hope at this point. We know he's fast, but there are many other factors that go into being trusted to see actual live game reps in the backfield.

I think they keep Woodhead at a very fair price, continue to develop and use Vereen more next year, and Demps is nothing but a hope at this point--at least as an actual RB.

dont worry, he told me he wants to stay ;)

no way do we go into the season w/ 5 backs in

ridley
vereen
bolden
woody
demps

4 yes, but not 5...
ridley, vereen are locks

so the competition is b/w the other 3, and only 1 of them has real experience, and he's an FA...we have no clue what we have in either bolden or demps, though we have seen nice flashes from both

i think woody brings something to the table none of the other guys can

I'd be very surprised if he's not back.

I think demps can do what woodhead did and then some

I think demps can do what woodhead did and then some

Not to be a ****, but what has Demps done to make you believe that? Compete in track and field? Woodhead has shown he's tough, reliable, can pass protect, can go over the middle, can run the ball out of the shotgun, has good hands by running back standards, and can resemble a wide receiver in terms of route running. Demps was pretty much a failure at the last two at Florida from my understanding.

Woodhead has come up clutch for the Patriots. However, I like Vereen much better as a 3rd down back or even an every down back. I think the decision is really between Woodhead and Demps. Do the Patriots want to keep both?

I would not be surprised to see them keep all of the RBs. Demps could take a ST roster spot as a KR and maybe a PR as well.

no way do we go into the season w/ 5 backs in

ridley
vereen
bolden
woody
demps

4 yes, but not 5...
ridley, vereen are locks

so the competition is b/w the other 3, and only 1 of them has real experience, and he's an FA...we have no clue what we have in either bolden or demps, though we have seen nice flashes from both

i think woody brings something to the table none of the other guys can

Injuries have a way of sorting out many of those roster conundrums coming out of pre season and camp.

Woody is one tough SOB and I would love for him to stay, if nothing else but for depth. However, I wouldn't want to overpay for him. I actually think Vereen should be used more as he is a better version of Woodhead in my opinion

Even after Woodhead demonstrated he can be an effective third-down back in 2010, the Patriots still brought Faulk back in 2011.

As long as the Pats make a reasonable offer, I expect he'll return.

Agreed. Also, I see nothing wrong with carrying a 5th (injuries often happen at this position), developmental running back on the 53, especially if he is a kick returner. For me, the backups are Bolden and Demps. Neither is in any way an important part of the offense.

Injuries have a way of sorting out many of those roster conundrums coming out of pre season and camp.

Woody is too important and 3rd down clutch for the team to let him go unless he wants stupid money.

I think its highly likely that if the team dumps a RB then Bolden or Demps is going to be the odd man out.

I dont see how he isnt worth more to another team in FAency than he would be to us given the 4 other options we have at RB.

I am a huge Woodhead fan, I always gave a Woody Woodhead(pecker) laugh to my family after any play that he made, And he is one heck of a good third down back but if it comes down to money which he has earned than I dont see how he is back.

He is our second best option behind Ridley (and he might be better just not an every down player) but its not like what is behind is bad both Vareen and Bolden have shown they can produce in the regular season already and both are still developing and we have no clue what Demps can be. Those 3 options mean we would be foolish to spend too much money on Woody.

I am not going to try and put a number on what would make it worth it but it would have to be cheap and I think he has far outperformed what we should offer. Hopefully he doesnt go to a rival.

Not to be a ****, but what has Demps done to make you believe that? Compete in track and field? Woodhead has shown he's tough, reliable, can pass protect, can go over the middle, can run the ball out of the shotgun, has good hands by running back standards, and can resemble a wide receiver in terms of route running. Demps was pretty much a failure at the last two at Florida from my understanding.

the fact that the pats signed him tells me he is capable of something, It's possible that he may not pan out..who knows...as for running the ball out of the shotgun, he did it with tebow handing him the ball.....the only negative of note regarding demps at FL was that he wasn't the most durable.

the fact that the pats have gotten ridley, vereen, bolden, and demps in the last 2 years tells me that the are all that satisfied with who they've had. woodhead has not been all that in pass pro, either......

when it comes to the offensive scheme, vereen is poised to take most touches from woodhead, and woodhead has never been more than mediocre in the return game.

I just don't see woodhead getting much more than the minimum here, and will likely get more elsewhere.

the fact that the pats signed him tells me he is capable of something, It's possible that he may not pan out..who knows...as for running the ball out of the shotgun, he did it with tebow handing him the ball.....the only negative of note regarding demps at FL was that he wasn't the most durable.

the fact that the pats have gotten ridley, vereen, bolden, and demps in the last 2 years tells me that the are all that satisfied with who they've had. woodhead has not been all that in pass pro, either......

when it comes to the offensive scheme, vereen is poised to take most touches from woodhead, and woodhead has never been more than mediocre in the return game.

I just don't see woodhead getting much more than the minimum here, and will likely get more elsewhere.

The Pats were willing to pay Faulk $2M-$3M a year, so I think they'd be willing to go that high for Woodhead.

In any case, I see the influx of young talent primarily as a response to 2010's RB-by-banged-up-committee: they had Faulk, Sammy Morris, and Fred Taylor, who collectively did not do much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes