Welcome to PatsFans.com

Stats Database Now Includes Penalties

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Ian, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +203 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

Just a quick note, I did an update last night to the Stats Database and it now includes penalties:

2012 Patriots Stats Database

For anyone who isn't aware, this is updated within 1-2 hours after each game and is confirmed against the league's splits for accuracy. This year's edition is also a little more detailed (w/penalties, passing & running charts, etc) but there's also the entire 2011 and 2010 seasons as well for comparison.

Also coming will be a new defensive stats page that is taking far longer than anticipated unfortunately, but hopefully you'll see that along with a couple of other things very soon.
  2. brdmaverick

brdmaverick Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

#32 Jersey

Thanks for the heads up. So does that mean these stats could potentially include two Brady touchdowns for one scoring drive. Meaning, what if Brady threw a touchdown pass to Gronk that was nullifed by a penalty. On the next play Brady throws a touchdown pass to Aaron Hernandez. Would Brady get credit for two touchdowns in this analysis?
  3. Ian

Ratings:
    +203 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

No, the penalties are only the accepted ones - not ones that are declined. So the stats listed are the actual numbers excluding declined penalties, etc. and I've checked them against the situational splits to confirm they're correct...if that makes any sense :)
  4. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +941 / 24 / -44

No Jersey Selected

Between this and your job, do you ever have time to sit back and actually *enjoy* the games? :eek:
  5. Ian

Ratings:
    +203 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

The stats I actually do during the game, which actually isn't too bad. But the way work has been the last few weeks and a couple of internet projects I've had to do it's been a little tougher as of late. It seems to come in waves unfortunately :(

Doing this stuff, believe it or not, is actually something that is fun to code out and put together, and it helps take my mind off of things. One thing I will say is that over the years between this stuff and writing, it's changed my approach watching the games and I don't get quite as excited or as upset when things like a 46-yard touchdown happen with under 2-minutes left, which was obviously what cost them last week against the Seahawks :rolleyes:

Although perspective-wise, I don't know if it's that or just getting older. I was 22 when I started the original site and now I'm 36, and I think having seen losing seasons the way we did before Brady got here it's tough to get too upset about a loss here and there anyway. The majority of people in here have never experienced a .500 or below year, and I think unfortunately that's what causes most of the over-reaction after some of these games.

But to get back to your original question, it's definitely a little different now but I still look forward to each Sunday. Hopefully they'll start improving and not giving up these deep plays. I have a defensive page I'm working on that is going to break all that down a little better and I'll update everyone when that's available.
  6. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0

Slightly off topic but to me penalties are a stat that is vastly overlooked.

Total yardage is the NFL's official statistic for measuring team offenses and defenses; yards on sacks affect the stats of team offenses and defenses, but penalty yards do not - I never understood that logic. For example if a team gives up a sack those yards are included - but if a player commits a holding penalty rather than give up the sack then those same yards are not included. Similarly a defensive back that was beaten on a play hauls down a receiver rather than allow a sure touchdown; yet the yardage from the pass interference penalty does not show up on either that teams "official" stats that are used to rank and compare all 32 offenses and defenses.

Anyways, end of rant ... thanks for making the time to put all this information together.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.