Welcome to PatsFans.com

States Restoring Voting Rights of Convicted Felons

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Sep 14, 2008.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,035 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/us/politics/14felony.htm?_r=1&oref=slogin

I (reluctantly) think their voting rights should be restored. Kind of hard for someone to reform themselves if they are not a part of society. Many ex-cons were stupid young people who have since matured and that's another reason I think they should have them restored.

I said reluctantly because I am not sure muderers and those convicted of crimes against children deserve this right restored ...Florida's model below seems fair.

Opinions?
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

Most felons are all democrats this is why
    They hate law and order
    They only pray and talk about Jesus when they're locked up
    99% of them are racist
    They are all "Anti Gun" for law abiding citizens, they don't want you to have a gun because you might shoot them while they are trying to rape your daughter.
    They love all perverts except pedophiles.
    Freedom to a felon is doing away with all Police.

Democrats want them to vote, because they know that most all undesireable people automatically vote Democrat.

GOD DAMN AMERICA (obooma preacher)
  3. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

When I first read your post FBN, I was of the opinion that no, they should never be allowed vote again. You do the crime, you accept the repercussions.

Thinking about it more I do like the FL model. All things being equal, even if like Harry says and they do vote Dem...so be it. Won't effect this election anyway and maybe the dems will put up a candidate I can vote for in the future. This ultra left, rock star preacher I cannot.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Except for the crooked Republican Politicians... they seem to have a corner on felonies... they fit right in with the racist scenario you present.. time to take up a collection for chapstick and kneepads.. somehow they have the opportunity to vote early and often.
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Anything with Humans involved in decision making is not going to be fair and probably will be expensive, maybe a simple matrix that can be applied to ex felons might be easier.. the more government becomes involved the worse it is.. by categorizing each offense by levels and then each level would allow whether or not you vote based on the level.. would be lots of bugs to work out, but another panel in Gov't is a recipe for disaster.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

I'd say restoration being contingent to the level of felony is appropriate. I'd be tough though. Any repeat offenders of any kind would be automatically barred from voting for life.
  7. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +99 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

As long as you are done with Probation/Parole I don't see why not, considering a % of convicted felons are probably cleaner than a lot of politicians.

There is a murderer in the senate, but someone who might of made a mistake can't vote.

No sex offenders or people on house arrest.
  8. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

How do politicians pander to the felon vote?