Welcome to PatsFans.com

States hunt smokers who dodge sales tax

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by NEPatriot, Jun 20, 2009.

1. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

States hunt smokers who dodge sales tax - Washington Times

Chicago thugs are coming to your house. Pay up or else !

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,078 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

3. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

It's nice to know what kind of world we are living.

4. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I doubt you really know...you are digging for junk to post and don't actually know nor understand what you are posting.

This is old news, my sister got audited and hit with a hefty fine for buying cigarettes online from an Indian reservation in New York...and she wasn't the one who smoked, my mother is. And that was small time non-payment, they have gone after bigger rings like Rhode Island's raid on the Narragansett Indian shop six or seven years ago...it's old news.

5. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I can't believe that people allow this sh!t to go on for years. I thought Obama would change it. Oh well!

6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

I take orders from people twice a year and take my pick-up truck to buy thousands of dollars worth of tobacco and make a few grand myself. Of course I don't give uncle sam any of it! :D:D

Now...let's see if big brother is watching!;)

7. efin98

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's a state issue, how the hell would Obama change it?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Spend less, and you can tax less. The gubmit can go %#^* itself.

9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

I've been telling members like shmessy that spending is being changed for the foreseeable future regardless of the "age of advertising". Consumers just don't have the disposeable income and any increase in taxes will depress spending even further.

The golden age of the super-hyper-inflated US economy is over and it aint coming back my fellow Americans.

So it is indeed a "catch-22" in that the more the gov't increases taxes, the less taxes that they'll actually collect...pretty cool actually!

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

The more people and the bigger the bureaucracy will become in enforcement efforts... more unintended consequences...

11. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

No, it's simpler than that. It's sometimes easier to move than to put up with being discriminated against.

This should be well-known to you, if it isn't already: Millionaires Go Missing - WSJ.com

What the gov't taxes it gets less of. Arthur Laffer understood.

12. State

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

Your response isn't adequate, DarrylS, because your knowledge of economics isn't adequate.

I take the liberty of recommending a book all should read, Henry Hazlitt's _Economics in One Lesson_. As H.L. Mencken wrote, Hazlitt is one of the few economists who could write.

13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

Thanks for watching, and discussing my inadequacies.. why don't you share your abundance of wealth amongst all the posters, your actions show how inadequate you really are as you seem to target maybe one or two posters... next time will check with you prior to posting..

"Liberal Hate Better" is a classic, well written, well thought out post that invites intelligent discourse and much reflection..

14. State

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

It's a really simple concept: taxes taken from the productive private sector and given to the government cause at best a net zero improvement in employment.

But quickly gov't spending hurts the economy: http://www.heritage.org/Research/TradeandForeignAid/images/chart1_s.gif

But "soak the rich" works well in elections, economics be dod-dearned, but in practice much less so.

I'm still awaiting an intelligent response that incentives matter, DarrylS. And that's something economists almost always agree on: incentives matter.

15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

This is idiotic but will bite anyways..

My response was to Patriotsreign..

My response had to do with the law of unintended consequences that everytime something like this happens all that occurs is the bureaucracy perpetuates itself and more people are hired to accomplish said task. The Gov't increases taxes, are then not able to collect them or enforce the new laws, so they hire more people who then get institutionalized into a system, that system then perpetuates itself into bigger and more expensive agencies with increased regulation..

Take it or leave it.. my comments had to do with the comments of Patriotreign..

BTW interesting you pick up on these comments but somehow do not address these, which by your inflated opinion of yourself must be adequate as they have escaped your scrutiny... perhaps sometime you could explain your litmus test for what you consider adequate vs. inadequate..

NEPATRIOT:

Efin 98:

16. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

He can threaten them with his bail out . No change = No state bailed out. Because Obama doesn't give the state enough money, it needs to create a new way to get money.

17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

I understand and agree with your assumption that gov't would increase their efforts to collect taxes. But I'm saying that increases in tax RATES will result in less consumer spending (sales) and therefor there will be less taxes to collect no matter how much the gov't increases their efforts.

Let's assume an American family with a household income of $100K annually pays 6% more taxes due to implementation of increases in various federal, state and local taxation (sales tax, VAT, gasoline, co. health care now counted as income). So if that household paid $10K in taxes last year, they're now paying $16K. That would be $6K less disposeable income. If they had $12K disposeable income last year, this would be a 50% REDUCTION in money they could spend at their descretion!

The reason increases in taxes will result in LESS taxes being collected is because American consumers are tapped out. They are in-depth up to their eyeballs.

The question law makers must ask themselves is how will increases in taxes affect consumer spending since it is consumer spending that generates over 70% of our GDP....think about that Darryl!!

18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

Not disagreeing or agreeing with your point, only pointing out the law of unintended consequences and that every time there is a new law and something new to enforce or collect.. then there is bunch of new people to hire, which often negates the anticipated savings or income.

19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

I think significant increases in taxes would have negative effect upon many fronts. But the very existence of gov't funded programs hang in the HOPES of increased funding. I don't think there is any way that can happen in the current economic environment.

20. efin98

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And what part of "this has been going on for years" did you not understand?