PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Statement Game: Patriots with a Gut Check 52-28 win at Buffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly what statement was made by our defensive backfield? If they play the "statement" game that they played, how many points do you think they will give up next week, when the opponent has a bit better quarterback and is not likely to make as many bad passes? We might win 48-41. The secondary needs to improve, but this is only the 1/4 point of the season.
======================================

I said it was a statement game by the team, not by any particular unit of the team. But the defense as a whole played well, including the secondary. 3 INTs. Good run support (especially McCourty and Wilson). Fitzpatrick made several good throws into small windows.

BTW, what exactly are your expectations against Manning next week? Houston gave up 330 yards passing and 2 TDs. Oakland gave up 338 yards passing and 3 TDs. Pittsburgh gave up 253 yards passing and 2 TDs in Manning's first game back in a year and half. What do you think is realistic? I'm not expecting 48-41, but no one has held the Broncos under 21 points so far this season, or Manning under 240 yards passing.

Looking at some of the responses, what I've learned is that we have a very spoiled fanbase. The Pats just won 52-28 after trailing 21-7 in the third quarter. Not all is well, but anytime you hang 45 points in a half and 31 in the fourth quarter during an NFL game, it's a statement.

This was a Statement Game with a capital "S". What a gut check by the team. I can't believe that someone actually posted about this team needing to find it's "identity". This team has a big time "Identity", and it's the kind that wins championships:

- A balanced offense with a brutal, physical running game that amassed 247 yards and which has averaged 144 YPG rushing through 4 games. And that's with Gronk hobbled, Hernandez and Mankins out, and a beat up OL that totally whipped what was supposed to be an elite Buffalo DL.

- A tough, physical defense that produced 5 turnovers, 3 sacks of a QB who had only been sacked once in 3 previous games, and which made key stop and key play after key play until the game was out of reach.

- A team which could be 2 TDs down in the 3rd quarter and which didn't blink, and turned the game into a rout.

This is not the "finesse" Pats of 2007-2011. It's a tough, gritty team that can play as physical as any team in the league. It's still coming together, but I can't imagine any of the AFC East teams being able to seriously compete for the division title. And by playoff time, this team should be on another level entirely.

I was appalled by the "game thread" and the number of trolls and chicken little fans. Fortunately the team is made of sterner stuff.

What this game did in my eyes is showed the Offense a bit of how it should work with this personnel. This is how and where to run the ball, sweep then when they are over committing, fake sweep through the middle. WW can still be effective, give him the ball in the slot, then once theses shorter options have been taken play action Gronk and give Lloyd a chance to make a play.

What we saw in the 2nd half is the blue print for how McDaniels seems to want to set this offense up to play.

I am happy the D got some reward today, I think the unit has been a markedly improved unit from last year, did they play perfect? not at all but they made plays alot of which were right when we needed them. Look people are going to score it's football, but the TD over chung was a great throw and catch and chung was right there. The other three TD's were on the safteys and they need to get better. But it's game 4... we have time.

This was a Statement Game with a capital "S". What a gut check by the team. I can't believe that someone actually posted about this team needing to find it's "identity". This team has a big time "Identity", and it's the kind that wins championships:

- A balanced offense with a brutal, physical running game that amassed 247 yards and which has averaged 144 YPG rushing through 4 games. And that's with Gronk hobbled, Hernandez and Mankins out, and a beat up OL that totally whipped what was supposed to be an elite Buffalo DL.

- A tough, physical defense that produced 5 turnovers, 3 sacks of a QB who had only been sacked once in 3 previous games, and which made key stop and key play after key play until the game was out of reach.

- A team which could be 2 TDs down in the 3rd quarter and which didn't blink, and turned the game into a rout.

This is not the "finesse" Pats of 2007-2011. It's a tough, gritty team that can play as physical as any team in the league. It's still coming together, but I can't imagine any of the AFC East teams being able to seriously compete for the division title. And by playoff time, this team should be on another level entirely.

I was appalled by the "game thread" and the number of trolls and chicken little fans. Fortunately the team is made of sterner stuff.

This thread has to be made every year, it is the Bills not the Giants, the defense and run game is still uncertain.

Looking at some of the responses, what I've learned is that we have a very spoiled fanbase. The Pats just won 52-28 after trailing 21-7 in the third quarter. Not all is well, but anytime you hang 45 points in a half and 31 in the fourth quarter during an NFL game, it's a statement.

Not only that, but to overcome missed field goals and turnovers and come back swinging says a lot about character. I don't buy this we have Buffalo to thank for this win theory. You can look at the glass the same way from either direction. Buffalo looked like absolute garbage had the Pats not made their share of mistakes in the first half from the offensive end. I mean come on this whole board was exploding over this defense can't stop anyone nonsense when twice the Pats had to defend from a short field because of turnovers garbage. People crying because the cb's gave up a 22 td yard pass to Chandler. It's not like Buffalo drove up and down the field or anything. 21 of their points came off of turnovers or missed field goals. And of course the one blown coverage.

So someone saying they imploded is nonsense considering we are the ones that imploded in the 2nd quarter to begin with. Not one Bills fan would be saying thank you New England Patriots for imploding for our win, I can guarantee that. The big thing is here that they showed they could come back from these mistakes and they did. The statement is basically if we are playing our best game in all phases we can beat anybody despite the score and we did.

2-2 despite a horribly refed game in week 3 and a so so showing in week 2 against a solid defense in Arizona. I'd say improvement has got to be made but today was a good start against a division opponent no less. Anytime you run the ball like they did today you've got to be encouraged from the coaching staff down to the players. Instills confidence that they can do it again. Watch out if this team builds consistency in that are of offense because this team will be pretty tough to stop no matter if your the Texans or the 9ers. Luckily we are going to get to find out since we play them both this season.

The last 3 Bills/Patriots games have had a team with a good lead at 21, and that team losing the game. This wasn't a statement game, anymore than those two games were.

if this were the texans we just beat..THAT is a statement. Today they did what they usually do. Not lose 3 in a row and win games in their division. it was a statement with how they did it..but i want to see that vs the 49ers,texans and even the broncos next week

I agree. We had our chance last week in Baltimore but it was stolen by some bad calls. Downsized to just we gave them all they could handle in their house. The key is that they are improving and this team usually doesnt get into full swing until after week 10. I think they are going to do fine against the elites.

The biggest statement to me was how they won. Rarely over the past few seasons have we seen the Pats so thoroughly stick it to a team over committing to the pass as we did today, much the less when the game is in question.

However this is the Bills, and the Pats really looked like the better team for most of the game.

Last edited:
The Patriots have beaten this team like a drum since 2003. They blew them out on the last week of the season in 2011 (well, technically, 2012) in similar fashion. This was a gut check, but it wasn't a statement game. The first statement game comes this week. The next comes December 10th and the next is a week after that.

I admit, I freaked out. I fast forwarded on my DVR until 21-21, and was then able to watch without worrying about a heart attack. And then I felt like a tool. Reminded me a lot of the comeback Dolphins game last year.

No it wasn't.
This was the Patriots sleepwalking through the first half of a game against the mediocre Buffalo Bills.
They woke up in the second half, the Bills turned the ball over and the Patriots romped.
We're talking about the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS.
Statement games in September against the Buffalo Bills???
Puuuuuulease!!!!
Would you pinkhats please get a grip.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back