Welcome to PatsFans.com

State of the Union

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Stokes, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Did you guys watch Bush's speech last night? Any thoughts? I thought it was an OK performance, about what I expected. I liked his line that for those that want higher taxes the IRS accepts checks and money orders. I also liked the part about cutting entitlement spending, even though a. it was largely symbolic, as entitlements account for a small % of spending, and b. the Republicans were taking advantage of entitlement spending for 6 years and he did nothing to stop them. In fact Dems have helped make entitlements more transparent. At any rate though, I'm glad they will be cut. The other thing that caught my ear was him saying we're going to stay on schedule to run a surplus in 2012. Um, here's an idea, how about cutting the budget to balance it RIGHT NOW!!!

2. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Don't you mean State of DISUNION Stokesy!!!! LOL LOL LOL ROTFL

3. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Hah, speaking of disunion I also enjoyed watching Pelosi trying to look diplomatic and restraining herself from jumping down and tearing out George's throat.

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

I only caught the last 10-15 minutes of it. I noticed Pelosi didn't stand & applaud a number of times, when GW was talking about our accomplishments & progress in Iraq. Bush talking about fiscal sanity might be the most assinine thing I've ever seen.

5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

she didn't stand because he fed the american people one line of bullshyt after another ... it was an hour this nation will never get back...

here's the tip of the iceberg...

SOTU: Veterans Health Care Has Gotten Worse Under Bush »

Bush said: “Over the past 7 years, we have increased funding for veterans by more than 95 percent. As we increase funding, we must also reform our veterans system to meet the needs of a new war and a new generation.”

FACT — 1.8 MILLION VETERANS LACK HEALTH INSURANCE: “The new study, published in the American Journal of Public Health, estimated that in 2004 nearly 1.8 million veterans were uninsured and unable to get care in veterans’ facilities.” [New York Times, 11/9/07]

SOTU: Abstinence Policies Hamper AIDS Efforts »
    Bush said: “And our Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief is treating 1.4 million people [in Africa]. We can bring healing and hope to many more. So I ask you to maintain the principles that have changed behavior and made this program a success.”

FACT — BUSH’S AIDS POLICIES DIVERT FUNDS TO FAILED ABSTINENCE-ONLY PROGRAMS: Bush’s policy states that one-third of money allocated for HIV prevention overseas go to abstinence-only programs. “In fact, a full two-thirds of the money for the prevention of the sexual spread of HIV goes to abstinence.” [American Prospect, 7/10/07]

SOTU: Bush Has Pushed Aside Action On Democracy And Human Rights
    Bush said: “We have also changed the way we deliver aid by launching the Millennium Challenge Account. This program strengthens democracy, transparency, and the rule of law in developing nations, and I ask you to fully fund this important initiative.”

FACT — MILLENNIUM CHALLENGE PROGRAM WILL SOON BE
    BANKRUPT: “President Bush’s signature foreign-assistance program is likely to run out of money this year, leaving in the lurch several poor countries that have labored to meet its strict eligibility standards, according to aid officials. Mr. Bush introduced the Millennium Challenge program in 2002 as a new approach to fix the perceived failures of overseas-development assistance.” [Wall Street Journal, 1/22/07]

FACT — BUSH IGNORED DEMOCRACY DURING TRIP TO SAUDI ARABIA: During his recent visit to Saudi Arabia, Bush didn’t meet with “one Saudi dissident or political activist, much less a democrat.” [Newsweek, 1/14/08]

SOTU: Bush Continues To Seek Warrantless Wiretapping Power Without Any Oversight »
    Bush said: ” The Congress must pass liability protection for companies believed to have assisted in the efforts to defend America. We have had ample time for debate. The time to act is now.”

FACT — IMMUNITY ABSOLVES TELECOM COMPANIES OF VIOLATING THE LAW: Immunity “would wipe out a series of pending lawsuits alleging violations of privacy rights by telecommunications companies that provided telephone records, summaries of e-mail traffic and other information to the government after Sept. 11, 2001, without receiving court warrants.” [Washington Post 10/18/07]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  6. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +458 / 10 / -7

#91 Jersey

Yeah I watched it. The only thing Bush (a pathetic excuse for a human being) has achieved over 7 years is to butcher the English language. And that it doesn't take a whole lot of intelligence to be come President of the U.S.

It was an hour of Hollow rhetoric as usuale

7. jack

jack 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The radio personality name I can't recall....But this list would go with his signature statement: And now for the rest of the story.

8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Paul Harvey...

anyhoo, here's my favorite Bushyt statement from last night:

SOTU: Bush’s Policies Have Catered To Energy Interests »

Bush said: “Let us fund new technologies that can generate coal power while capturing carbon emissions. Let us increase the use of renewable power and emissions-free nuclear power. Let us continue investing in advanced battery technology and renewable fuels to power the cars and trucks of the future.”

FACT — BUSH AND ALLIES HAVE RAKED IN MILLIONS FROM COAL INTERESTS: During the 2000 campaign, the Bush campaign received more than $2.8 million from energy interests, including $442,739 from electric utilities and $107,821 from the coal mining industry. “Over the last six years, coal companies have donated $9 million to federal political candidates and party organizations, and 90 percent has gone to Republicans.” Massey Energy, one of the largest American producers of coal, boasts one director who alone has contributed over $89,000 to Republicans over the last eight years. [Earth Justice; NYT, 8/9/04; OpenSecrets.org]

9. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

You just wanted her to do that, so you could see her tits jiggle...:D

10. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Hall Parvey... the everything is AOK guy, the 180 degree alter ego of the sky is falling.

11. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Did she get some new guns to go with the facelift? Ugh, I just threw up in my mouth a little.

12. jack

jack 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Those are some huge cans....just thinking out loud.

13. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

He said he was bringing 20,0000 home from Iraq. I hope so, but to me, that sounded a little too Nixion. His last action in Iraq was a surge, ie and escalation. I'm not buying until its a done deal.

14. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The idea is that the increased peace created by the surge will now allow troop levels to begin to decrease. 20,000 home does still represent a 10,000 troop increase from pre-surge levels though. You are right to be skeptical however based on the horrible way the post-war strategy has gone.

15. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +152 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

What is a bigger part of the budget?

A. War in Iraq
    B. Entitlements

Hint it is not even close.

16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 3 / -10

Stay Out Of Dafur
    No More War

17. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I know, that's why I wrote that. I believe they said entitlement spending accounted for $15 billion last year, only a fraction of what was spent in Iraq. It is the principle (or lack thereof) of entitlement spending that is more disturbing than the dollar value.

18. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +152 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

Uh, no the total defense budget including Iraq accounts for 20% of the budget, entitlements are about 35%.

550 Billion spent on defense
    Almost 1 Trillion spent on entitlements:eek:

19. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Where are those figures from? I got the 15B number from the news last night, maybe they were talking just about new entitlement spending for 2007? Is that entitlement spending to date? I'm going to have to try and look it up, now I'm confused!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  20. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Ugh, I'm such an idiot, I meant to say EARMARKS, not ENTITLEMENTS! Of course the numbers make sense now, entitlements include medicare and social security! My bad, sorry for the confusion!