PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

State of the NFL- To mandhandle receivers or not to? When did the rules change again

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBigglesWorth

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
After and while watching the Jets game I was reflecting how much things have changed in the last decade and how we've come full circle to where we started.

I continually see people commenting on similarities of the 2001 Rams/Pats SB to this past playoff loss. In both games the defense was allowed to jam the wide receivers/tightends/etc. Now I realize there is the 5 yard chuck rule of legal contact, but it seems that it's quickly reverted back to allowing the cbs or linebackers putting their hands on the offensive players.

I thought this was changed(headed by Polian) preventing molestation of defensive players on the offensive players, and this change caused the Pats to change their entire playing style, personnel, etc. I mean we lost a change at playing the Bears because of the meltdown to the Colts in the AFCCG in 2006. We lost that game because of a couple key contributing pass interference calls. So BB changed his style and we got 2007.

Now suddenly it seems the league has reverted back to 2001. If I was BB I would downright confused how I am suppose to gameplan and choose my personnel. I will readily admit they played awful and coached awful against the Jets. But I will also state there is alot of inconsistency in the referees and what's allowed and what isn't.

When did the rules get changed again?

If this is what the league is going to allow why not go back to jamming and molesting receivers like we once did. We partly got jobbed like the Rams did in 2001.

Re: State of the NFL- To mandhandle receivers or not to? When did the rules change a

Revis regularly gets away with being all over receivers. When you're Revis, you can get away with it. Everything else is nothing new. It was within 5 yards, and is plenty legal.

To quote Belichick:
JJJJJJJJJJJAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes