Welcome to PatsFans.com

State Inspectors Searching Children’s Lunch Boxes: “This Isn’t China, Is It?”

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +530 / 6 / -2

[​IMG]

State Inspectors Searching Children’s Lunch Boxes: “This Isn’t China, Is It?”

Posted on February 14, 2012 by Matt Willoughby in Education

A mother in Hoke County complains her daughter was forced to eat a school lunch because a government inspector determined her home-made lunch did not meet nutrition requirements. In fact, all of the students in the NC Pre-K program classroom at West Hoke Elementary School in Raeford had to accept a school lunch in addition to their lunches brought from home.

NC Pre-K (before this year known as More at Four) is a state-funded education program designed to “enhance school readiness” for four year-olds.

The mother, who doesn’t wish to be identified at this time, says she made her daughter a lunch that contained a turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana, apple juice and potato chips. A state inspector assessing the pre-K program at the school said the girl also needed a vegetable, so the inspector ordered a full school lunch tray for her. While the four-year-old was still allowed to eat her home lunch, the girl was forced to take a helping of chicken nuggets, milk, a fruit and a vegetable to supplement her sack lunch.

http://www.nccivitas.org/2012/state...-childrens-lunch-boxes-this-isnt-china-is-it/

2. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Oh boy oh boy... Hold on my dad's in China right now let me text him and ask :)

EDIT: just heard back from him. They do not do this in Zhuhai, could be because it is a "Special Economic Zone".

Your article should read "This isn't the brave new America, is it? "

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  3. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

I have a question for the mouth-breathing busybodies who did this: how do you know she wouldn't just eat the chicken nuggets out of all the additional items that she was given? Are they going to start inspecting stool samples to confirm compliance?

Lunchbox inspections? Really?

We are finished.

4. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

State officials not only can't "force" meals on children, but they can't make them take an item. That is the law. Couldn't open your link.

5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,050 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

A comment from your link says it all....

"The Fuhrer would be proud ! My cat will win the next election :) Chicken nuggets ! Yuck ! Go watch how a chicken nugget is made. I tell you right now, I'm approaching my 60's. When I went to school and they would have done that to me, they wouldn't have heard the end, of what my mom and dad would have done. Besides they wouldn't have been able to get away with this sort of stuff with the WW2 generation. That's why they do it now on this one."

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +365 / 11 / -27

When I read something from World Net Daily, the skepticism meter increases exponentially.. then I go to the source of this and it is from the John Pope Civitas Insitute, the Conservative Voice of North Carolina..

Then the story is corraborated by Rush, Daily Caller and a host of right wing blogs..

Then not even Fox News Picks this salicious story.. from an unnamed mother, if is sounds too good to be true it usually is..

Need more reliable information... than an agenda driven blog, this sounds like one of those viral driven emails..

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  8. PatsFan24

PatsFan24 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

If this is true it's an outrage.

9. Drewski

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Darryl, not that these are any more "reliable" in your opinion but this story was all over WAAF and the Sports Hub morning shows this AM.

I wont dive in any further on this topic. There was another thread similar to this some time ago where myself/RW/scout were bantering back and forth.

I will only say that schools over stepping parents decisions for their kids is straight garbage with the one exception being when a parent is unfit to be one.

It does not take a village to prepare a child's lunch.

10. Drewski

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

B5, I was thinking basically the same thing. Beyond the situation just being wrong, what asshat would substitute a Turkey/Cheese sandwich for the healthier alternative of.......mystery meat School Cafeteria "Chicken" nuggets?

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Why do you constantly blame the messenger, when Huffington prints some of their Left Wing Bullsh!t do you blame them.

It won't be long now, Americans will get fed up with this communist crap and The Riots Will Begin.

Whe I went to school if a teacher tried to tell us what to eat we would have thrown him / her out the f-cking window.

12. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

First of all, a state agency would not do this. If an agent for the state made those decisions they would be reprimanded severely. In regards to the turkey sandwich, how do you know its healthier then the chicken nuggets? The turkey sandwich could be loaded with sodium to preserve it. We do not know it is a fresh product. The chicken nuggets are labeled and under federal guidelines have the nutritional daily requirements for that particular age group (provided the program is on the NSLP). Mystery meat, really? The bottom line, is this probably did not happen. If it did happen, any involvement by federal employees would mean disciplinary action.

13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

Need a link for....

Unlike

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Snooping in our LUNCHES!????

This is Obama's extension of Bush's warrentless wiretapping, its extended to searching lunchbags without a warrant...

In other news:

Banned Lunchables Commercial Video

(Banned 90's lunchable ad)

WARNING explicit lanuage, and satire...

15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

http://www.americantimes.org/blog/2...unch-her-mom-packed-for-her-yeah-thats-bogus/

"The original story further obscures that in no circumstance was this child – or any child, for that matter – being forced to eat the school-provided lunch, nor was this child -or any other child – deprived of her boxed lunch. Instead, as the second linked story acknowledges, the child was just provided with additional food and given the option to consume that in addition to her boxed lunch. In other words, the claim that the school “replaced” this girl’s turkey sandwich, banana, apple, potato chips, and juice with chicken nuggets is totally bogus."

Morans

the next thing you know we will see Republicans being outraged by satirical articles by The Onion....

Oh..really?

Congressman Fooled by 'Onion' Planned Parenthood Story | NewsFeed | TIME.com

flock of seaDUMB

16. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +651 / 6 / -9

Well I'm sympathetic to the concept of improving nutrition across the board in this country, this doesn't seem like the right way of going about it. To say the least.

17. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +651 / 6 / -9

Unless it was a deep-fried turkey sandwich, the odds are very high that it'd be healthier than chicken nuggets.

18. Drewski

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Scout, you're right I can't prove that is was "turkey free of sodium to preserve it". (really we are going to that length at this point??)

Have you ever seen a Chicken Nugget that doesnt have breading on it? If they exist, I certainly have never seen them before (and I loves me some nuggets). That little fact alone makes them less healthy no?

Mystery Meat stems from the few years I spent in public school in the US (3rd through 1st half of 6th grade). The lunches served in the school I went to, which sometimes included Chicken Nuggets were more sponge like than nugget like. Im sure they were full of those dreaded "preservatives"....

Beyond that, AAF was talking about this in MA and it was a state "agent" not a Federal agent. In this state I could believe something like this could happen. Whether this event has been verified or not I do not know.

In closing I agree with Jack. We as "fat Americans" should be more health conscience. But events like this (again if it truly happened) are not the way to do it.

Again, it doesn't take a village to pack a lunch.

19. Drewski

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

We Got BINGO!!!

20. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Here's the problem with your mystery meat example: how many years ago was that? Yet, the perception lingers pertaining to school lunch. Yes, there are some poor programs out there, thus, they get the media's attention. If you guys took a tour of of one of our kitchens your heads would spin. I know mine did. In regards to fried foods, only morons use deep fryers (usually in the south, sorry). The latest are combi-ovens which steam and bake simultaneously and have a frying effect for items like french fries. These cost about what your would pay for a new car. The biggest obstacle facing us today is Sodium. The manufacturers know it, we know it, yet they can only reduce that amount by 5% per year. We need to become acclimated to the new taste. Like drinking whole milk=2%=1%, takes time. Sorry for going off. Bottom line, I bet it did not happen as written up. Otherwise, they would not have had a story. It doesn't take a village to pack a lunch, tho, sometimes a village idiot will pack one.