Welcome to PatsFans.com

Starve the Beast: Quincy collects again and again

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

Government is out of control. They simply cannot afford to pay for the massive cost of city of services, with all the bloated salaries and benefits their employees recieve. Wait till all these bloated fat cats start collecting from their underfunded pension funds. Whoopie! Simply unsustainable. Starve the beast is becoming more and more a must, every day.

Quincy collects again and again

By Michael Graham
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 - Updated 1 day ago

In Quincy, it’s “you paid for it, but you don’t get it.”

By a 9-0 margin, the Quincy City Council just passed a “crash tax,” charging taxpayers for some emergency services when they crash their cars on city streets. Need a fire truck to respond to your wreck? That’ll be $500 per hour, please. Heavy rescue equipment? That’s $600/per. A “command vehicle” so an officer can make sure you’ve got full coverage to pay all these fees? $200 an hour.

Quincy collects again and again - BostonHerald.com

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We need look no further than this forum to see several examples of people who believe the solution to everything is to raise taxes (especially on the rich). The idea of reducing government waste is just a foreign concept their minds cannot comprehend.
  3. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

It's unreal. Anyone who's had any business sense, or is responsible with their money, knows that you have to control spending first, and foremost. That raising your price, or charging more on your credit card, isn't a good long term solution.
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

What gov't is going to do is give us incentive to earn money "under the table" so they can't tax it. I highly suggest that anyone with the opportunity to do it, do so as often as possible.

If I got a bill for emergency services from a frikkn' town or city, I guarantee you I would not pay it....not a dime.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  5. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -2

Got it PR, you recommend tax evasion.
  6. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Excessive taxation leads to tax aversion, at all levels of society.
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

To make up for taxation without representation...I ABSOLUTELY recommend and will do it.

As per Kayos' comment, it is exactly what over-taxation will lead to. At least among smart, honest hard-working Americans.
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -1

Um, how does being "honest" line up with tax evading?

Wouldn't not reporting your actual income be regarded as "lying by omission?"

Isn't lying fundementally dishonest?
  9. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If taxes are viewed as excessive and damaging, reasonable people will find another way to avoid taxes. Which is why, after all the hand wringing over "tax the rich", "tax the rich", it never ever works.
  10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -1

LOL Why, because they always find a way to avoid paying them anyhow?

Besides, how does the fact that a rich person finds a legal loophole to avoid paying his taxes suddenly make it "honest" to lie about your own income?
  11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

NO, it's not MrsP.

When you have an entire gov't that lies, cheats and steals, then all becomes fair. When our gov't rep's stop embezzling, stealing and committing all sorts of unethical acts, then maybe we'll consider tax evasion dishonest.

I kinda knew you wouldn't be able to refrain from commenting on my post...yes, I did!;)
  12. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Finding those loopholes isn't cheap because moving money and setting up financial vehicles can be expensive. Say the tax rate is lower than <20% and the cost of moving around money is 15%. At that rate, plus the potential legal implications through a loophole, the rich person will probably just pay it. When you raise that rate to 30% plus, now that option looks more attractive as the benefit for tax avoidance likely exceeds any possible penalty.
  13. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

Yeah but, haven't you heard? We're not taxed enough.
  14. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I feel the same way about that whole 0.08% blood alcohol level thing. If it was more like 0.25% then maybe I'd care and not have 19 Mai Tai's before driving home, mostly on the sidewalk.

Its the same with date rape, I mean real rape I can understand but date rape? c'mon, If she agrees to go out with you then all bets are off.

Same with road rage, if the bastard cuts you off, beating the snot out of him isn't aggravated assault with a tire iron, its justice.

And just because our system says otherwise doesn't mean I have to care since I'm such a reasonable person and all.

//sarcasm

On a more serious note. Quincy's gonna try and slip this by the voters. Either they'll succeed or they won't. Y'all really shouldn't use it as an excuse to cheat on your taxes though. The IRS has come a long way in my taxpaying life. They used to be real ball breakers back in the day. Now they're pussycats(I guess all it took was one small plane crashing into an IRS facility) Why bring the ball breakers back? This is exactly what will happen if all of you start doing what us contractors do:D Just because some guy who paints houses out of the back of his '85 Jeep Cherokee gets to write off $9000 in business entertainment at Foxwoods every year doesn't mean everyone else gets to too.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  15. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -2

Oh, I am sure we are all quite tax-averse.

That is not the question. Tax evasion, on the other hand, is a crime. You can go to jail for it. That's different from vaguely "feeling" over-taxed (even if you can't do the math to actually know how much you are taxed, as in PR's recent case.)

PR advocates criminal tax evasion. Got it.
  16. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -2

You are planning on committing this crime. I think we all understand.

By the way, I was unaware you live in D.C. Otherwise I am not sure what you might mean by "without representation."

Mass. has congressmen, senators, electoral votes for the presidency, and all the rest. Is it your belief that you personally are not allowed to vote?

Or are you thinking ahead to getting convicted of a felony, and therefore losing your right to vote?

PFnV
  17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Danbury is very nice in the spring...
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

NOt only am I planning it, I've already done it. So I know how to "get away with it". If our gov't rep's don't vote in policies those that voted them in support, then I consider that "taxation without representation"

Keeping in mind of course that we actually have a SPENDING problem, not a REVENUE problem.
  19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -1

Keep in mind, of course, that you have a legal problem, not a voter's problem.

You also have a problem with the truth since the last time we had this discussion you denied working under the table and insisted you only said you did in order to "rile me up."

You are nothing more than another Harry - and just about as inept.
  20. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -2

Oh, it doesn't take a genius to "get away with" tax evasion. The world is full of morons capable of breaking the law in this way, and not being convicted. It's a numbers game, after all, and enforcement is probably skewed toward the big fishes.

But what you are arguing is that although you freely admit to committing felonies, and look forward to systematically and with premeditation committing more of them in the future, you believe the representation afforded you is not great enough -- even though our elected representatives, by definition, also must represent all the other people who voted for them.

Here are a couple of questions:

1. I am sure there are those who believe very strongly in enforcement of our national laws vis a vis tax cheats. Are they being adequately represented if you are not prosecuted?

2. Since felons lose their right to vote, and since you admit to the felony, and state that you plan to commit it again, and urge others to do so -- since, in a word, it is only a matter of chance and gaming the system that you still enjoy the right to vote -- are you really the best spokesman to explain how you are not represented "right"?

3. Is the present moment the first time in history that people voted for a candidate at any level whose views and actions were not a 100% match to their own political agenda?

4. If you are not different and special, and the present moment is not different and special, and throughout American history we have accepted the practice of accepting leaders whom we elect, with the remedy being either impeachment or the next election -- whence comes the tax cheating "remedy"?

5. Is it possible that this "remedy" is colored not only by ideological justification such as you have referenced, but also by self-serving incentives?

I work for a living, myself. Gotta go now.

PFnV
  21. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

I would think you might want to speak to an attorney, as even though this is an anonymous board... bragging about committing a felony is about as self incriminating as it gets, and doing it under the guise of some type of heroic, vigilante act is even more stupid...

Do you remember the family in NH, who barricaded themselves on top of a mountain after not paying taxes.. the feds waited them out.. the feds usually win.

To admit to a felony is incredibly foolhardy..
  22. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -1

Ya think? LOL

It doesn't matter - past practice says he'll deny it again in his next post.
  23. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Maybe he is speaking "cauca-bonics... i.e. if you say something, you really did not say it... "
  24. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -1

Yep, you do. Just like the illegal aliens "get away with it," right?

I presume you understand that by not paying taxes on money you make in return for doing work that you, too, are "stealing" from the rest of the American citizens who DO pay taxes on the money they earn and that you, too, fall into the very same catagory as the illegal workers that you rail against every chance you get.

They have no right to work here, be hired to work "under the table" and take a job away from the honest hard-working citizens who would actually pay taxes on the money earned (as would the company/individual who hired them illegally in the first place) and thus support themselves and the country - and guess what - neither do you.

The only difference I see is that the illegal aliens are forced to work under the table while you, as an American citizen, rip the rest of us off because you want to.

(Unless, of course, you revert back to your position that you DON'T work for cash you just say you work for cash sometimes. In which case, you are not a crook at all, you are simply a liar - and a bad one at that since you apparently can't keep your stories straight.)
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  25. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

Look, I'll pay what I owe if the federal tax rate remains the same. But if they think they can raise the rate on Americans like me, then I'll put my plan into action!

Most Americans who qualified, got $8,000 for their first time home buyers credit. Just as an FYI, I got OVER $8,000!;)

If my president PROMISES he won't raise my taxes, then I'm gonna hold him to his PROMISE....one way or the other. Shouldn't we all?
  26. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -1

Wow!! Just when I thought you'd run out of options. First you've worked for cash in the past (one time claiming to have made over $40,000 tax free dollars in a single year) then you've NOT worked for cash, then you are, once again, working for cash, and now you may or may not be working for cash, but you'll "pay what you owe if........"

Anyhow, your "promise" to pay what you owe if the rate remains the same may cover this past year - but what about that 40 grand you were bragging about? Who recoups that? (And are you willing to pay late fees and penalties, as well?)

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-financial-transaction-page2.html#post1629258

Just FYI, so what? When I sold my mom's house in January her buyer got more than 8K credit, too. Your point?

No, we should exercise our "taxation WITH representation" rights and vote him out of office if we object.
  27. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

Was there actually some purpose to this post or was it just cathartic for you?

Nothing you can do or write can change anything ya know. Do you actually think some IRS person may lurk around here wasting their time? I can write anything (true or false) just to stir the pot...hee, hee, hee:p
  28. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The lefties are just making sure the government wrings every last dollar out of you so that their checks keep coming.
  29. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

If you actually believe I'd admit to a felony on a public board, it's you who is foolhardy, not me.

I like to lie when I think it might agitate those who would support a tax increase.

Besides, the statute of limitations has run out....:D

All you "It's ok to raise taxes" people kill me.... :rofl: :rofl:
  30. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -1

I just do it to get a rise out of you, PR. I just know you can't resist.

Actually, I'm just amazed at how easily you lie. How naturally it all flows from your mouth or your keyboard. If nothing else - it totally reaffirms my belief that nothing you could possible say or do would ever be credible to anyone - especially when it relates to politics or finance.

No matter how much money you acquire legally or illegally, regardless of how much knowledge you claim to possess, the bottom line is that, in the end, a man has nothing but his word to prove his real worth - and you prove, time and time again, how little your word is worth.