StarTribune takes a pre-game look at Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/510/story/774598.html
With each unselfish act of sharing at the University of Minnesota, Laurence Maroney was exhibiting a key characteristic in the exact profile that the NFL's preeminent franchise craves.
"We're not just collecting talent here," said Scott Pioli, vice president of player personnel for the New England Patriots. "We're building a team. Everyone has a role within the team, and it's important to have people who understand that. Laurence is a confident guy, but also has a degree of humility. We think that's a good balance that he has."
-----
Pioli said it was obvious that Maroney's tangibles made him worthy of the 21st pick.

"He has quickness, he has speed, he has strength and he has deception," Pioli said. "He's got very good vision, too."

But that's not good enough on its own to satisfy the Patriots, whose team-oriented approach has resulted in an NFL-leading 73 victories and three Super Bowl titles since 2001.

The Patriots wanted more from Maroney, and were satisfied. Pioli describes him as a "very smart person" who is "mature enough" to understand and accept the Patriots' team-first mentality.
-----
Brady said Maroney has been easy to accept because "he really works hard."He is very selfless," Brady said. "Whatever you ask him to do, he does and he does it with a big smile on his face. That big goofy smile he's got.
-----
A big night in his old dome would help Maroney's case for NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year honors. Of course, the fact Maroney doesn't seem to care about the award is one reason he's now a Patriot.

"I know when some people saw that New England picked me, they might have said, 'Oh, they got Corey Dillon,'" Maroney said. "But this has been working good. My first thought wasn't that I'd be behind Corey. My first thought was I could learn from a great running back who played this game for a long time."

His second thought?

"I came to the conclusion that, 'Wow, the New England Patriots. They know how to win, they want to win, they like to win.' I couldn't find myself a better situation."
Seems like a nice addition to the team. :p

Yup gotta bold that last line.

"I came to the conclusion that, 'Wow, the New England Patriots. They know how to win, they want to win, they like to win.' I couldn't find myself a better situation."

That sums up the Pats mentality very well. And shows how he fits in.

...time to evaluate the Childress-era reorganization.
http://www.startribune.com/508/story/774615.html
The Vikings are 4-2 entering tonight's game against offensively challenged New England. It's no longer too early to analyze the changes that have rendered Brad Childress' first team improved over Mike Tice's 9-7 bunch from 2005.
-----
6. Signing Ryan Longwell

The Vikings wanted to upgrade the kicking with a free agent. Foley pushed hard for Longwell over Adam Vinatieri, because Longwell came with the added bonus of hurting division rival Green Bay.
-----
2. Signing Steve Hutchinson

It's amazing the Vikings won nine games in '05 with a subpar offensive line. Everyone at Winter Park wanted Steve Hutchinson, but he wasn't getting out of Seattle. Until ... vice president Rob Brzezinski joined with Tom Condon, Hutchinson's agent, in creating a scheme with such a financial risk to Seattle that the Seahawks let him go.

Homecoming for Maroney
http://www.masslive.com/sports/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1162214136304330.xml&coll=1
"It's just a game to me," he said. "I have to work hard and just go out there and play my game."

The Metrodome is famous for being a loud venue, whether it's being used major league baseball, college football or pro football.

"It didn't get too loud for us," Maroney joked.

This will be the first time a Metrodome crowd will not be cheering for Maroney, who rushed for at least 1,100 yards in each of his three seasons with the Gophers.

"I feed off the same noise that (opponents) feed off of," he said. "If it gets loud, I get (pumped) and get ready. It just amps me up. I'm just going to run the best that I can do."

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061030/APS/610301013
Not surprisingly, the New England Patriots are winning again and they're beginning to show more faith in their receivers. Meanwhile, the Minnesota Vikings' unexpected emergence is due partly to a ground game they can finally trust.

With Tom Brady's targets playing well, the Patriots look to extend a five-game road winning streak when they take on Chester Taylor and the Vikings on Monday night.
-----
Monday's contest features two strong defenses, New England's resurgent passing offense and the NFL's second-leading rusher in Minnesota's Taylor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes