PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stanley Cup - Boston Bruins vs Vancouver Canucks

Thomas was so slow to react that by the time he did react to the shot the puck was already in the net. It was soft as butter just like your explanation of the 3rd goal. I'm sure there was a reason for Thomas coming so far off his line without anyone defending the left side of the net either....

Slow to react... amazing... not sure what you expect from the guy...

...But hey it's OK. It's OK to make mistakes and not take responsibility for them isn't it chicowalker? Thomas made 3 major stuff ups tonight. They cost the Bruins 3 goals. That's not to say the defensive help wasn't there but his excellent work was outdone by his failures 3 of which were goals.....

If it weren't for Thomas saving his defense's ass, 3 goals wouldn't have mattered. There would have been no OT, it would have been a blowout, just like game 1 would have been.

...You're an argumentative pain in the arse and I'm putting you on ignore.

LOL poor little ausbacker doesn't like it when people disagree with him...

I wonder how you cope in real life when people disagree with you...

the problem with goal 2 is, boston's D let's the canuck skate on through unchecked, thomas correctly was focusing on the man with the puck in the middle, there was way too much traffic happening on that goal

Bingo. Whoever scored was left unattended.

When the puck goes close in to somebody on one side, and there's another offensive player wide open on the other side, all they need to do is complete the pass. There's no way you blame the goalie.

ausbucker fighting yet again. people starting to see hes kookoo. i cant think about the bruins. im to sick to my stomach.

Last edited:
The NHL's gutless decision not to suspend Burrows proved to play a big part in this game as he killed them. It also assures he will go down in Boston sports history with guys like Dent, Boone, Tatum, Samuelson, Laimbeer and probably most notably Tree Rollins.

The Bruins defense just isn't able to deal with the speed of the Canucks. Both the forward and defense are guilty of not clearing the zone and allowing the pressure to mount. I'm not sure they can solve this issue.

The Canucks have made it a point to bang Thomas around. The Bruins have not repaid the favor and need to. If it costs them a penalty so be it but somebody needs to put Luongo on his back.

Honestly the Canucks play the style I wish the Bruins did. They are fast and skilled yet they are by no means a finesse team. They are chippy, they hit and take the body constantly, they attack in all three zones. They remind me of the Islanders of the early 80's.

If the Bruins aren't going to win this series and I don't think they can take 4 of 5 then somebody at least needs to take Burrows out. The Canucks have been pretty ****y about the biting incident taunting the Bruins on the ice and Sedin making the joke on the telecast about him being a vegetarian. Somebody either needs to drop the gloves or take a run at him.

Last edited:
I prefer not to blame the officials for something that happened in game 1 when the Bruins could have stopped his performance in game 2. Suspension or not I'm not willing to blame the NHL for Thomas' costing the team game 2 and potentially a Stanley Cup.

Definitely a tough loss to swallow, BUT blaming Thomas is just plain stupid. The game wouldn't have even made it to OT if Thomas hadn't made some great stops.

The NHL's gutless decision not to suspend Burrows proved to play a big part in this game as he killed them. It also assures he will go down in Boston sports history with guys like Dent, Boone, Tatum, Samuelson, Laimbeer and probably most notably Tree Rollins.

The Bruins defense just isn't able to deal with the speed of the Canucks. Both the forward and defense are guilty of not clearing the zone and allowing the pressure to mount. I'm not sure they can solve this issue.

The Canucks have made it a point to bang Thomas around. The Bruins have not repaid the favor and need to. If it costs them a penalty so be it but somebody needs to put Luongo on his back.

Honestly the Canucks play the style I wish the Bruins did. They are fast and skilled yet they are by no means a finesse team. They are chippy, they hit and take the body constantly, they attack in all three zones. They remind me of the Islanders of the early 80's.

If the Bruins aren't going to win this series and I don't think they can take 4 of 5 then somebody at least needs to take Burrows out. The Canucks have been pretty ****y about the biting incident taunting the Bruins on the ice and Sedin making the joke on the telecast about him being a vegetarian. Somebody either needs to drop the gloves or take a run at him.

agreed -- and you do it in game 3 and you do it early. You set the tone and see where things go from there.

(You do not let it go and start with cheapshots when it's over, as the Lakers did at the end this year.)

Just take care of business in Boston and take back there 2-2.

Not over yet.

Damn, so freaking close - denied.

Last edited:
I must be watching a different game. We have given up 4 goals in 2 games to one of the best if not the best regular season team in the NHL. The defense has had lapses but they are not the issue. Our problem is scoring goals ... if there should be any blame this is where the blame should be. I don't fault the coaches, the defense, or Thomas - the offense needs to step up or we will go down in 4.

The one thing that bothers me right now is that our 3 centers should be Savard, Krecji and Bergeron - this would be a series if Savard were here instead of Kaberle. Nothing against Tomas but this team was well built to go all the way this year.

Last edited:
I must be watching a different game. We have given up 4 goals in 2 games to one of the best if not the best regular season team in the NHL. The defense has had lapses but they are not the issue. Our problem is scoring goals ... if there should be any blame this is where the blame should be. I don't fault the coaches, the defense, or Thomas - the offense needs to step up or we will go down in 4.

The one thing that bothers me right now is that our 3 centers should be Savard, Krecji and Bergeron - this would be a series if Savard were here instead of Kaberle. Nothing against Tomas but this team was well built to go all the way this year.

agreed re scoring

The issue on the defense hasn't been the results -- 1 goal and 2 goals in regulation are good against Vancouver. At times they've played strong defense, and Thomas has bailed them out on many mistakes, rendering them moot. But there have been a lot of mistakes that, if they continue, would be expected to lead to more goals from the Canucks.

Definitely a tough loss to swallow, BUT blaming Thomas is just plain stupid. The game wouldn't have even made it to OT if Thomas hadn't made some great stops.
I'm fairly certain I've stated Thomas made some excellent saves (and has generally played well) despite being a big reason for the loss giving up what most people realize as two very soft goals (which I happen to believe were 3 soft goals). The game also wouldn't have made OT if the Bruins has capitalized on the many and varied chances they had. Such is life.

IcyPatriot has articulated my thoughts better and on a more even keel. It's probably not wise to go into a tirade post match whilst the emotions of watching the Bruins out skate the Canucks twice for another loss is still fresh.

Onto the next game it is.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain I've stated Thomas made some excellent saves (and has generally played well) despite being a big reason for the loss giving up what most people realize as two very soft goals (which I happen to believe were 3 soft goals). The game also wouldn't have made OT if the Bruins has capitalized on the many and varied chances they had. Such is life.

IcyPatriot has articulated my thoughts better and on a more even keel. It's probably not wise to go into a tirade post match whilst the emotions of watching the Bruins out skate the Canucks twice for another loss is still fresh.

Onto the next game it is.

LOL ausbacker defaulting to a " 'most people' agree with me" claim...

any support for that, ausbacker? Any hockey analysts, for example? Or just Aussie hockey bloggers....

agreed re scoring

The issue on the defense hasn't been the results -- 1 goal and 2 goals in regulation are good against Vancouver. At times they've played strong defense, and Thomas has bailed them out on many mistakes, rendering them moot. But there have been a lot of mistakes that, if they continue, would be expected to lead to more goals from the Canucks.

Boychuck, McQuaid, Kaberle will make mistakes and Chara and Seidenberg will make a few due to fatigue near games end. They had 26 and 28 minutes of playing time ... Ference the next closest had 20.

So without going on and on to me it is this simple ... Bieska, Edler & Ehrhoff give Vancouver 3 top blue liners to our 2. The game has been fairly equal except for a few moments here and there ... the 3 vs 2 to me is all the difference as they can keep 3 lines in check and we can only keep 2 in check. We have been playing well ... a few less mistakes and we would be up 2-0 - this series has been that close.

Last edited:
Boychuck, McQuaid, Kaberle will make mistakes and Chara and Seidenberg will make a few due to fatigue near games end. They had 26 and 28 minutes of playing time ... Ference the next closest had 20.

So without going on and on to me it is this simple ... Bieska, Edler & Ehrhoff give Vancouver 3 top blue liners to our 2. The game has been fairly equal except for a few moments here and there ... the 3 vs 2 to me is all the difference as they can keep 3 lines in check and we can only keep 2 in check. We have been playing well ... a few less mistakes and we would be up 2-0 - this series has been that close.

sounds about right. and it's not just the defensemen, it's all players in our own end when I refer to "the defense"

both teams have had lots of opportunities, and both goalies have stopped a lot of good bids. I do think Vancouver has outplayed us, but again, that's largely due to the inability to get it out of our zone.

Now, a lot of that clearly is the result of the Canucks' efforts. They're both fast and physical. I do wonder if our coaches can figure out a way to exploit their aggressiveness in our end.

Bottom line, if we play well and win game 3, it's a good series. One game at a time.

LOL ausbacker defaulting to a " 'most people' agree with me" claim...

any support for that, ausbacker? Any hockey analysts, for example? Or just Aussie hockey bloggers....

thats what he always does. he assumes everybody agrees with him so he must be right lmao. hes going to accuse you know of slandering his country because you said aussie. :D

thats what he always does. he assumes everybody agrees with him so he must be right lmao. hes going to accuse you know of slandering his country because you said aussie. :D

Is Aussie an insult?

eh, I enjoyed Australia when I visited. Look forward to going back again. Won't be visiting Perth again, but that's only because it seemed a nice place to live rather than visit briefly (unlike, say, Darwin, which was interesting and enjoyable to visit, but I'd find intolerable as a residence).

Tim Thomas has been absolutely fantastic all season, so even if the defeat was down to him (which it wasnt imo) then i think we should cut him some slack even if its in the biggest series for over 20 years. Some of the saves he made in the game were great.

The Bruins could easily be 1-1 or with more luck 2-0, hopefully we can win the next one and give the canucks a little to get nervous about in game 4.

One game at a time Bruins.

The Bruins could easily be 1-1 or with more luck 2-0, hopefully we can win the next one and give the canucks a little to get nervous about in game 4.

One game at a time Bruins.

i agree with you - i saw the first 2 games and Boston could have been now 1-1 with more luck

game nr. 3 will be crucial (imho)

i will see it too of course

That is the **** i am talking about.....someone needs to put one or both of the sedins out of this ******* playoffs now

wow..hes done for a long time.....what a cheap shot.

Watch..he wont be suspended...******* piles of ****

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes