PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stallworth took less to sign here, per Peter King

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE39

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
King writes this morning:

The Patriots signed the receiver Tennessee really wanted, Donte' Stallworth. The Titans offered him more guaranteed money and more average per year than New England did, but the Patriots got him because they're a better team with a better quarterback right now.

That is a good sign, IMO. The fact Stallworth wants to be here and play for a winner is a sign he might be acquiring the maturity to go with his talent.

King writes this morning:

That is a good sign, IMO. The fact Stallworth wants to be here and play for a winner is a sign he might be acquiring the maturity to go with his talent.

While I agree, I also think Donte realizes that with his substance problem and injury problems, the best he was going to get was a 1 year "prove it" deal. He will have a much better opportunity to show off in NE with Brady as his QB then he would elsewhere, he is not so much looking to get paid this contract as he is in his next contract. WR's have a tendency to flouish in our offense.

While I agree, I also think Donte realizes that with his substance problem and injury problems, the best he was going to get was a 1 year "prove it" deal. He will have a much better opportunity to show off in NE with Brady as his QB then he would elsewhere, he is not so much looking to get paid this contract as he is in his next contract. WR's have a tendency to flouish in our offense.

Well if King is right he turned down a better deal with Tenn. and there is no indication that it was a 'prove it' deal.

what i think people are saying by the prove it deal is.. in Stallworths mind he feels he is a big money- top receiver but because of his history he obviously won't get that contract..so this season is a make or brake for him, he needs to preform if he wants to score that money (etheir with NE or whomever he is with in 08-09 season)..Even with MORE money at TENN on the table..it isn't what he feels he deserves or wants ultimately.. and He knows because he is smart (or his agent is at least), that in NE even signing for less..he has a chance to be the #1 receiver for a NFL powerhouse, make a serious push for a championship, have one of the greatest throwing to him, with a geneious of a coach..which in turn skyrockets his value for the next season..ofcourse given he plays at the best of his abilities and contributes to winning games.. it's a win/win situation for both sides..

Of course this is with totaly disregard to actual numbers..and I could be wrong...

I love the continuation of that article where Titans fans are frustrated over the lack of free agent activity and losing out on Stallworth.

What, are they unhappy with David Givens?

Last edited:
i thought the most interesting thing he said was "and the Patriots arent' done." wonder if he knows something?

there once was a comparisson on espn saying:

the pats are to WR's as the broncos are to RB

i can only imagine the possibilties with stallworth playing with brady

I love the continuation of that article where Titans fans are frustrated over the lack of free agent activity and losing out on Stallworth.

What, are they unhappy with David Givens?

Didn't I hear recently that Givens injury was very serious and may possibly be career ending? Has anyone got more info on that?

what i think people are saying by the prove it deal is.. in Stallworths mind he feels he is a big money- top receiver but because of his history he obviously won't get that contract..so this season is a make or brake for him, he needs to preform if he wants to score that money (etheir with NE or whomever he is with in 08-09 season)..Even with MORE money at TENN on the table..it isn't what he feels he deserves or wants ultimately.. and He knows because he is smart (or his agent is at least), that in NE even signing for less..he has a chance to be the #1 receiver for a NFL powerhouse, make a serious push for a championship, have one of the greatest throwing to him, with a geneious of a coach..which in turn skyrockets his value for the next season..ofcourse given he plays at the best of his abilities and contributes to winning games.. it's a win/win situation for both sides..

Of course this is with totaly disregard to actual numbers..and I could be wrong...

Basically this is exactly what I mean by "Prove It" deal. I sort of mispoke when I said that it was the only thing he would be offered, I meant that it would be the best case scenario for Donte as he would not be able to get a big money deal he thinks he deserves due to the previously stated concerns.

According to Drew Rosenhaus, Stallworth signed here because of Tom Brady's presence.

Free-agent wide receiver Donte' Stallworth's decision to sign with the Patriots instead of the Dolphins had nothing to do with money, according to his agent Drew Rosenhaus.

"[The money] was very comparable," Rosenhaus told WSVN-TV Sunday night. "It really was a matter of Donte' knowing that he's going to be in a one-year situation, and he needs to succeed. And, frankly, he wants to win.

"It was best for him to sign with New England because of Tom Brady. Donte' really thought a lot of [Dolphins coach] Cam Cameron. But Donte' [signed] a one-year contract, so it's imperative for him that he put himself in the best environment to succeed. Right now the Patriots are more solid offensively than Miami because of the uncertainty at quarterback. The Dolphins might sign Trent Green. Is [Daunte] Culpepper going to be healthy? Is Cleo Lemon ready? Well, Tom Brady is the best."

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2007/03/dolphins_lose_o.html

King praises New England for free agency moves:

I think as much as I praise teams for showing a little restraint, I think one team that's gone wild and has done a good job is New England ... and the Patriots aren't done. For $14.2 million in 2007 cap dollars, the Patriots bought blocking back and special-teamer Heath Evans ($720,000 cap charge for '07), versatile defender Adalius Thomas ($3.4 million), blocking tight end Kyle Brady ($2.3 million), second running back/special-teamer Sammy Morris ($1.83 million), possession wideout/return man Wes Welker ($1.7 million), special-teams captain Larry Izzo ($475,000), third guard Billy Yates ($650,000) and, on Sunday, starting wideout Donte' Stallworth ($3.1 million).

Two notes: New England's still got the 13th-most cap room left, $7.7 million. And Mike Shanahan on Kyle Brady: "He's the best blocking tight end in football.''

And then an unnecessary cheap shot:

The only way 2007 could have been better for New England is if Tom Brady doesn't throw the fourth-quarter interceptions at Indianapolis.

WTF? That interception was hardly the reason the Pats lost, a-hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing