PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stallworth reinstated...you want him back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is worth a look. Hopefully he really matured and is really motivated to make the most of the chance. Branch too if he comes in for <$2MM a year. Cut Aiken and Stan*back. Special teamers are dime a dozen. Any guy with some speed, LB, WR, TE, DB can do special team duties. Throw your back up RB, QB, PH there if you need to. Stop wasting roster spots on these special-team-only guys.

Still can't believe BB used a high round pick on Matt Slater. Colts found Garcon, Collie, and Jared Powers with these picks and their team strength kept on rising. Comon Bill, stop the madness, build a real team with real talent.

Last edited:
ST'ers played a substantial role in NO besting Indy Sunday night...

If you want Bill to field better talent he should start by aiming higher...than Stallworth as even a 4th WR option.

Your Colts rising reference is priceless given the level they rose to Sunday night...1-1 in Superbowls in the last 4 years. I'll take 3-1 in the last 7 any day...

Last edited:
Yes, he was the fourth option is the best offense of all time. What would he be now? The second?

I'd agree with others that Stallworth had a difficult time with route running and timing.

I think that would be less of a problem if he was used primarily as a deep threat - simple, straight routes in which he can gain some separation that aren't quite as reliant on the timing.

In 2007 the Patriots didn't feel a need to have a complementary deep threat to take advantage of Moss' double teams. I think that was a mistake and I think it caught up with them later in the season. In any event with Moss and with Stallworth's $6 million 2008 salary, he wasn't coming back unless he was the #1 WR, let alone #3.

You heard that same criticism of the Patriots WR corps in 2009 - that there was no one deep to take advantage of Moss' double teams.

With Moss a year older, without Welker and relying on Edelmen, I think having that secondary deep threat is more important than ever before.

That being said I have no idea if Stallworth has enough gas in the tank to be the guy to do it... no harm in letting him try in camp IMO.

Didn't work in 2007. Even less likely to in 2010. Does he have a floor? Sure. Does he have a ceiling, positively - it's his floor. I'd rather have young talent or driven veteran talent whose ceiling we can't quantify fighting to make plays out of that roster spot.

Branch if healthy would be a no brainer because he would be the #2 or #3 here.
The problem with getting guys like that here this season is prove it deals may have nowhere to go facing a lockout in 2011. So more guys may be looking for the quick buck one year deal to tide them over. I'd imagine we will be competition with KC and Denver for a WR who knows the system and flourished in it.

I'll be the first to admit that Stallworth wasn't great in his only season with us. But seems everyone loves Gaffney, forgetting that he struggled as well in his first season. Moss and Welker have both said it's a complicated system, and their understanding grew after multiple seasons.

We definitely need to look to the future, and I'd love to see the Pats draft a few guys. But we need a lot of receiver help. I don't see any downside to bringing in a guy who has worked in the system with Brady for a minimum contract to see if he can contribute. Worst-case scenario, he's a stiff, but that's still an upgrade over Aiken.

I'd agree with others that Stallworth had a difficult time with route running and timing.

I think that would be less of a problem if he was used primarily as a deep threat - simple, straight routes in which he can gain some separation that aren't quite as reliant on the timing.

In 2007 the Patriots didn't feel a need to have a complementary deep threat to take advantage of Moss' double teams. I think that was a mistake and I think it caught up with them later in the season. In any event with Moss and with Stallworth's $6 million 2008 salary, he wasn't coming back unless he was the #1 WR, let alone #3.

You heard that same criticism of the Patriots WR corps in 2009 - that there was no one deep to take advantage of Moss' double teams.

With Moss a year older, without Welker and relying on Edelmen, I think having that secondary deep threat is more important than ever before.

That being said I have no idea if Stallworth has enough gas in the tank to be the guy to do it... no harm in letting him try in camp IMO.

Kraft family will not allow this guy to be a Patriot. Besides PR distraction(since the mediots will run this story over and over), Stallworth is overrated and done.

Better to take a chance with some yound receiving talent that we need to develop. Enough of these crap shoots projects like Galloway, Lewis, Gabriel, washington, Slater etc

A large chunk of that yardage came in one game. After the bye he really struggled. He had 3 TD's in the early going, none in his last dozen or so games. His forte is YAC, but if you can't hit him in stride in the open because he isn't in the spot he was supposed to be when he was supposed to be that evaporates as it did here pdq.

One of Bill's favorite football sayings is if you aren't getting better you're getting worse. We could drag Reche out of retirement, too, but it isn't going to make this team better. They need to identify and develop young talent at the position and perhaps identify a couple of underutilized veteran talents who are driven football players. They have proven they can still do that in Edleman and Welker. They also need to identify a TE who is a football player...

I'd like to see proof of that being the reason, because I have not read anything like that and couldn't even find information stating that he slid down the depth chart for those reasons on the Patriots website. As it stands right now, Stallworth is a vast improvement over Aiken and has been a guy that has had experience with Brady (as well as a guy whom Brady spoke of glowingly). I wouldn't mind adding him and another guy via free agency or trade (like an Antonio Bryant). On top of that, I think people have forgotten how big this guy came up for us at times. The Dallas game, the beautiful sideline catch to essentially keep us in the Colts game, and the big catch at the end of the divisional round to ice the Jags game. I wouldn't mind giving him another shot, if only just for depth. Like I said, Aiken sucks... big time. Two of his biggest catches this season were results of pure luck. He's a good special teamer, not so much at wide receiver. Stallworth would at least be a vast improvement over him.

He is worth a look. Hopefully he really matured and is really motivated to make the most of the chance. Branch too if he comes in for <$2MM a year. Cut Aiken and Stan*back. Special teamers are dime a dozen. Any guy with some speed, LB, WR, TE, DB can do special team duties. Throw your back up RB, QB, PH there if you need to. Stop wasting roster spots on these special-team-only guys.

Still can't believe BB used a high round pick on Matt Slater. Colts found Garcon, Collie, and Jared Powers with these picks and their team strength kept on rising. Comon Bill, stop the madness, build a real team with real talent.

I agree with this... Bring him back, draft a few receivers and let them learn this year behind Moss and Stallworth...

Have only glanced at the last few posts.

Has anyone talked about the Myra Kraft rule in here?

Also turns out the team that is looking at Stallworth is the Lions.

NO

1)Could not pick up the system and gaffney came back towards the end.

2) Still amazed the wish for a fast speed 3rd who cannot be a part of our offence. then use aiken and other guy to do it . Just run straight not part of the offence and look where we ended with that logic. Joey cannot catch a cold for crying out loud.but he was fast running straight.

3)He has been off the game for 1 1/2 yr and i wonder what shape he is in.I can see him taking few months to even play 20-30 snaps which means aiken need to step up !!!

Last edited:
I do want them to bring him back, but only if it's a 3 or 4 year deal - obviously he's not in a position to demand any sort of real signing bonus so I'm not saying that we should give him much to come here, but I am tired of having to completely redo our WR's each year. I think this is probably Moss' last year here and I don't feel like having Stallworth on a one year deal and then having him sign elsewhere next year so that we're left with Welker, Tate, and Edelman and in the position that we need to pick up another JAG and draft another WR. It would be nice if the Pats could have essentially the same WR's for a few years in a row so that Brady could really develop a rapport with them and really get this offense going.

I'd like to sign Stallworth for a few years and draft a big receiver in this years draft with the hopes that he could take over for moss in 2011 - then we would essentially have 5 WR's returning in 2011 - assuming and hoping that Tate and Edelman develop into quality NFL receivers.

How is that a wrong statement that Colts are rising? We used to be a lot better and have a lot more talent than the colts. Now it is the opposite. They made to SB without their starter at WR, both starters at CB, and probowl S. Did it occur to you that with Bob Sanders, and Merlin Jackson in there, it could have been different? Even with Freeney useless and they went with the 5th/6th guy and a rookie at CB in the entire 2nd half, there were still right there, until the manning pick 6. Did not we get thumped by the same Ravens team that they easily dispatched the next week? I don't think you can go back to the 3 SB wins 6 years ago to counter the argument. I am talking about team's competitive strength now versus 2,3,4,5 years ago; you have to admit that Colts have improved and we have declined. Neither of us likes this but we are looking up to the Colts.

Successful ST play by NO is about well caculated gambling, tape study, catching ppl offguard, and preparation. It's all about coaching. My point was about not wasting a 3rd rd draft on a special-team-only guy (Matt Slater). I don't know why one would contradict another. The guy who recovered the ball for NO (Jonathan Casillas) is a rookie UDFA and he is a big part of their LB rotation; he was brought in for a regular job, not ST only.

I just think it is imperative BB do a better job drafting players. The 2006 draft of Maroney, Chad Jackson, Dave Thomas, and Garret Mills at 1/2/3/4 rounds was such a big waste. That's a big reason why we have no depth on offense today.

Sorry to be harping on the same point again. But BB NEEDS TO DO BETTER DRAFTING.

ST'ers played a substantial role in NO besting Indy Sunday night...

If you want Bill to field better talent he should start by aiming higher...than Stallworth as even a 4th WR option.

Your Colts rising reference is priceless given the level they rose to Sunday night...1-1 in Superbowls in the last 4 years. I'll take 3-1 in the last 7 any day...

Last edited:
Did not we get thumped by the same Ravens team that they easily dispatched the next week?

My point was about not wasting a 3rd rd draft on a special-team-only guy (Matt Slater).
Pretty much the whole post was nonsense, but my favorite parts were:
Ravens beat Pats
Chargers beat Ravens
and this is proof that Chargers would be Pats if they played. You only have to watch one NFL season to see this piece of silliness destroyed about 200 times.

The other is that the Pats wasted a third round pick on Matt Slater.

Ravens beat Pats
Chargers beat Ravens
and this is proof that Chargers would be Pats if they played. You only have to watch one NFL season to see this piece of silliness destroyed about 200 times.

You want to try that again? :bricks:

You want to try that again? :bricks:
His citation of the most delightful talking points of the other gentleman's post, or did he miss some humorous lines we be should not be denied?

His citation of the most delightful talking points of the other gentleman's post, or did he miss some humorous lines we be should not be denied?

Explaining why he thinks the Chargers team went in and stole the Colts uniforms, then went and played the Ravens before traveling back to San Diego the next day to play the Jets would be a start. :cool:

Explaining why he thinks the Chargers team went in and stole the Colts uniforms, then went and played the Ravens before traveling back to San Diego the next day to play the Jets would be a start. :cool:
The memory of youth, I'd forgotten the Ravens beat SD as they were getting off to their standard slow start.

And I'm not saying Stallworth is the answer to the receiver depth issues, or that he is the key either. But if you can get him for cheap, why not bring him in for another look?
He was on the team for a whole year, for crying out loud. Why do they need to bring him in for a look? Does the staff have amnesia or something? They don't need to bring him in and have him run routes in Foxboro to know what he can and can't do.

A>B, B>C does not necessarily mean A>C everytime. Law of average, though, is in A's favor.

If A>>B (A dominates B in football term) and B>>C, statistically speaking, A>>C, not every time, but more often than not. And you will be a very rich man beting A>>C everytime.

When you claimed that C came out ahead of A (against the law of average) over 200 times a season. There are 256 games in a regular NFL season; you said 200+ of these games are statistical upsets. That is over 80% of games are statistical upsets. Your claim is a statistical impossibility. In other words, you are an effing moron making a claim like that.

I hope you understand the maths. But again, maybe I should not expect much from you. I love it when someone can't argue the point and is reduced to nitpicking. Just because upsets happen in NFL, you honest think Pats were a better team than Colts this season?

Ravens beat Pats
Chargers beat Ravens

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey