PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stallworth need to stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsgo

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
a lot of talk about letting him walk, but lets be real your looking at possibly the best passing offense in the history of football, i wouldnt change a thing id ride it as long as i could, stallworth is lighting quick and fits in a perfect number 2, lets hope they can massage the deal and he stays, who do we replace him with chad jackson? please

a lot of talk about letting him walk, but lets be real your looking at possibly the best passing offense in the history of football, i wouldnt change a thing id ride it as long as i could, stallworth is lighting quick and fits in a perfect number 2, lets hope they can massage the deal and he stays, who do we replace him with chad jackson? please
Why mess up a good thing....it's a powerful offense...don't knock it...

Money.

If he restructures he stays. I can't see it if he doesn't. His deal was cut when he was supposed to be the man. This is an environment where he can develop to a point in a couple or three years where he could be the "next Randy," although I doubt there's any such thing, really. But he could be the number 1 if he plays understudy for a while.

Trouble is, he's getting more than understudy money.

And there are other units on this team. Linebackers for instance... think we might need one of those in the near future? Our D-line coming due in a few years... etc.

I personally don't want to do a 2010 fire sale, guys. Let's not get carried away.

PFnV

Stallworth doesn't NEED to stay. I'd be happy freeing up the money that we'd have to pay him to pay Moss. And putting Chad Jackson in on a trial by fire basis. I would, however, keep Gaffney around in case Jackson doesn't step up.

I see the Pats letting Kelley Washington AND Donte Stallworth go after this season. Primarily from a salary cap standpoint so they can sign Moss and Samuel to good deals. As well as pay for the high 1st round pick that they seem to be in the process of getting thanks to San Frans ineptitude.

If he restructures he stays. Colvin does the same and Washington is let go.

Money.

If he restructures he stays. I can't see it if he doesn't. His deal was cut when he was supposed to be the man. This is an environment where he can develop to a point in a couple or three years where he could be the "next Randy," although I doubt there's any such thing, really. But he could be the number 1 if he plays understudy for a while.

Trouble is, he's getting more than understudy money.

And there are other units on this team. Linebackers for instance... think we might need one of those in the near future? Our D-line coming due in a few years... etc.

I personally don't want to do a 2010 fire sale, guys. Let's not get carried away.

PFnV
keeping this offense together will make the defense better,40 points a game will win you a ton of games

There are better ways to spend that money. Chad Jackson can play that role. I like Stallworth a lot. If he wants to take a lot less $$$ to stay, by all means, but that's not going to happen, and frankly, we don't need it to.

Stallworth doesn't NEED to stay. I'd be happy freeing up the money that we'd have to pay him to pay Moss. And putting Chad Jackson in on a trial by fire basis. I would, however, keep Gaffney around in case Jackson doesn't step up.

I see the Pats letting Kelley Washington AND Donte Stallworth go after this season. Primarily from a salary cap standpoint so they can sign Moss and Samuel to good deals. As well as pay for the high 1st round pick that they seem to be in the process of getting thanks to San Frans ineptitude.
jackson is no stallworth , what has he done to makes you think he can be the man, hes either been on the bench or been injured with alot of maturity issues, those are the facts, their are lots of good or great college players who have dont nothing in the pros

There are better ways to spend that money. Chad Jackson can play that role. I like Stallworth a lot. If he wants to take a lot less $$$ to stay, by all means, but that's not going to happen, and frankly, we don't need it to.
what you dont understand is the threat of stallworth makes it easier for moss, answer me the question what has jackson done ??? he cant even beat out gaffney, if hes as good as you think bb would play him now

Can Jackson replace Stallworth? If the answer is yes, then absolutely, let Stallworth take his payday elsewhere. Jackson's measurables bear an uncanny resemblance to Stallworth's. The question is, can he play?

If not, and we wind up having to choose over Stallworth or Samuel, I may say Stallworth represents higher value. Ok, we have a glut of talented WR's, and constant depth issues at defensive back, I know. I think the presense of Stallworth puts the offense over the top as a historic unit. Remove one of these guys, be it Moss, Stallworth, Welker or Watson, and this unit remains elite, but not an unstoppable juggernaut.

In contrast, take Samuel out of the secondary, and the D takes a hit, but the secondary still retains some solid players in Sanders, Hobbs, Gay and Meriweather. Plus, the inclusion or exclusion of Samuel is not going to decide if the defense is a historically elite unit. The defense is and always will be led by the front 7.

No knock on Samuel whatsoever. I am now convinced that he is an elite cornerback. IMO, given the choice, we have a better chance at sustained greatness by keeping the offense together.

(I never thought I'd say that)

Last edited:
jackson is no stallworth , what has he done to makes you think he can be the man, hes either been on the bench or been injured with alot of maturity issues, those are the facts, their are lots of good or great college players who have dont nothing in the pros

Bruinz got it right... you have to eventually play CJack sometime, if you're serious about him being an NFL receiver... and at 2nd round, you have to be serious about it at some point. But you don't do it without a backup plan. That's why God made Jabar Gaffney.

Sure it's not as sexy as having a fistful of receivers that could have been number 1 on this team with ease last year. But bear in mind we have to put a whole team on the field, and do so for the out years as well. I see Stallworth as the lowest return on investment on the field. We can't even talk about K. Washington because he's a non-factor.. he's never on the field. He's gone too.

Honestly, I don't want this team to turn into Air Coryell... the league's runaway best offense, and a bad defense. Right now we're in this golden perious of "prove-it" years for receivers... it can get expensive fast unless the whole ship holds together on sunshine puppies rainbows and singing kumbayah.

Everybody loves it here. Of course they love it here. So would I. But all that love and sunshine can get a little tarnished when someone is waving a few million extra bucks in your face. We may get some hometown discounts, but it will be a marginal effect.

As a far brighter light once said,

You can't have everything... where would you put it?

PFnV

Last edited:
Quite simply, Stallworth = Moss Insurance

This offense would not be the same without a deep threat. If we had JUST Moss or JUST Stallworth - and either of them suffered an injury, say goodbye to the dominance we've witnessed this season.

Unless folks around here don't like what they currently have, they should want both Moss and Stallworth to remain with the Pats... in Stallworth's case, he's currently signed, albeit to an expensive contract...

I haven't looked at the cap figures but if there's a way to squeeze them both in I'd be happy to do it...

Of course there's a way. There's always a way. It's like a balloon... squeeze here, and it bulges out there.

So what's first to go? You said you want Samuel too... maybe linebackers. They're getting long in the tooth. So maybe we just swear off new linebackers for a while and develop, oh, say Eric Alexander and Oscar Lua. Sure. Just a little faith...

Or maybe hmmmmm Seymour could go in 2010 or so. Why not? Should Jarvis Green be good enough?

And Faulk doesn't bring that much, after all... I mean he's just the best 3rd down back in the league, right? We don't need to come up with a guy for that role...

Etc.

It goes to age, depth, replacements, the whole ball of wax. It's just a matter of making sure you get good ROI... we won't on Stallworth, not at his current contract. He needs to be scaled back and told to wait Moss out. If he wants to go somewhere else, be a #1, and lose, he's free to walk.

PFnV

Can Jackson replace Stallworth? If the answer is yes, then absolutely, let Stallworth take his payday elsewhere. Jackson's measurables bear an uncanny resemblance to Stallworth's. The question is, can he play?

If not, and we wind up having to choose over Stallworth or Samuel, I may say Stallworth represents higher value. Ok, we have a glut of talented WR's, and constant depth issues at defensive back, I know. I think the presense of Stallworth puts the offense over the top as a historic unit. Remove one of these guys, be it Moss, Stallworth, Welker or Watson, and this unit remains elite, but not an unstoppable juggernaut.

In contrast, take Samuel out of the secondary, and the D takes a hit, but the secondary still retains some solid players in Sanders, Hobbs, Gay and Meriweather. Plus, the inclusion or exclusion of Samuel is not going to decide if the defense is a historically elite unit. The defense is and always will be led by the front 7.

No knock on Samuel whatsoever. I am now convinced that he is an elite cornerback. IMO, given the choice, we have a better chance at sustained greatness by keeping the offense together.

(I never thought I'd say that)

2 years ago... maybe... but to say samuel is not an elite cb at his level of play right now is ignorant...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down