PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stallworth and Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.

National Sports Advisors

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I guess I didn't realize this or forgot, but Stallworth doesn't turn 27 until November 10th and Welker is only 26 and doesn't turn 27 until next May. Conversely, Marvin Harrison is 35 and Reggie Wayne turns 29 in November. It's nice to know Brady will have some nice targets for the next 5 years asuming they re-sign Stallworth, which I am confident they will. Moss is also still relatively young, as he doesn't turn 30 until February. If we find a way to keep all 3 of these guys for the next 4 years plus keep Watson, than Brady has a chance to put up some insane numbers. I know injuries can ruin it all, but that goes for any team. As crazy as it sounds, this offense has the chance to be even better once these guys get a full season under their belt together.

Actually Moss is 30 right now. He turns 31 next February.

I guess I didn't realize this or forgot, but Stallworth doesn't turn 27 until November 10th and Welker is only 26 and doesn't turn 27 until next May. Conversely, Marvin Harrison is 35 and Reggie Wayne turns 29 in November. It's nice to know Brady will have some nice targets for the next 5 years asuming they re-sign Stallworth, which I am confident they will. Moss is also still relatively young, as he doesn't turn 30 until February. If we find a way to keep all 3 of these guys for the next 4 years plus keep Watson, than Brady has a chance to put up some insane numbers. I know injuries can ruin it all, but that goes for any team. As crazy as it sounds, this offense has the chance to be even better once these guys get a full season under their belt together.
Indeed.

I was really surprised at Moss' age. Seems Moss has been around forever but he's less than a year older than guys named C Johnson, TJ Whoseyourmoma, P Burress, and L Coles who I thought were many years younger than Randy.

Unfortunately the salary cap will prevvent us from keeping all of these players - it was a freak set of circumstances that allowed us to land them all in the first place.

The Welker deal falls within the boundaries of a 'typical Patriots deal' - reasonably long term, good money for a guy who is an almost nailed on certaintly to flourish in our system.

Stallworth came because he wanted a 1 year shot to improve his stock for his next big multi-year deal - im pretty sure he would never have agreed to come if Moss had signed first.

The Moss deal happened because his disillusion with the raiders franchise grew to an all time high just as a new HC arrived - a new HC who didn't want to be burdened by baggage from a previous administration.

They were so desperate top get rid of him they shipped him for a 4th rounder.

Moss also signed a low rate - show us what you can do deal to further improve his stock.

Moss and Stallworth will both be looking for new contracts next year that will almost certainly guarantee at least one of them moves on (probably Stallworth).

The reason the Colts are able to maintain their currently level of WR quality is because they have filled their D with cheap, young players - a route the Patriots won't be going down anytime soon.

Yeah, Moss is pretty young considering he's considered a "seasoned veteran." I think all that talk about "he's lost a step" or "he's not what he used to be" gave the impression that he was mid-to-late 30s or something.

I dunno, I think Stallworth's deal ends up being 6 yrs/33.5 million if we use our options. That's a patriots type deal. We will not get a WR of his caliber for cheaper than that. I think the Pats realize that Brady NEEDS weapons to compete with the Colts. Bottom line. You can't enter a gun fight with squirt guns. You need some firepower, ideally a nice AK47. Moss, Welker, and Stallworth are just that. I think the Pats will let Samuel walk, redo Colvin's deal, restructure Brady's deal, and use all that money plus the money they would have used on that 2nd 1st RD pick we lost to keep Stallworth and Moss. It can be done and I think it will be. The days of Brady throwing to the Doug Gabriel's of the world are over.

Unfortunately the salary cap will prevvent us from keeping all of these players - it was a freak set of circumstances that allowed us to land them all in the first place.

The Welker deal falls within the boundaries of a 'typical Patriots deal' - reasonably long term, good money for a guy who is an almost nailed on certaintly to flourish in our system.

Stallworth came because he wanted a 1 year shot to improve his stock for his next big multi-year deal - im pretty sure he would never have agreed to come if Moss had signed first.

The Moss deal happened because his disillusion with the raiders franchise grew to an all time high just as a new HC arrived - a new HC who didn't want to be burdened by baggage from a previous administration.

Moss also signed a low rate - show us what you can do deal to further improve his stock.

Moss and Stallworth will both be looking for new contracts next year that will almost certainly guarantee at least one of them moves on (probably Stallworth).

The reason the Colts are able to maintain their currently level of WR quality is because they have filled their D with cheap, young players - a route the Patriots won't be going down anytime soon.

You do know that Stallworth actually is signed to a long term deal. It's just a matter of picking up the option or renegotiating the deal. Moss seems content with his current surroundings and will hopefully re-sign for a reasonable deal that he realizes will allow the talent around him to remain. And as mentioned, Colvin can and should be restructured. If we cut Washington and use the roll over money for the cap we should be able to get these guys in.

It is much much more probable however that Samuel is out the door after this season. I would much rather have Moss and Stallworth than Samuel though.

I dunno, I think Stallworth's deal ends up being 6 yrs/33.5 million if we use our options. That's a patriots type deal. We will not get a WR of his caliber for cheaper than that. I think the Pats realize that Brady NEEDS weapons to compete with the Colts. Bottom line. You can't enter a gun fight with squirt guns. You need some firepower, ideally a nice AK47. Moss, Welker, and Stallworth are just that. I think the Pats will let Samuel walk, redo Colvin's deal, restructure Brady's deal, and use all that money plus the money they would have used on that 2nd 1st RD pick we lost to keep Stallworth and Moss. It can be done and I think it will be. The days of Brady throwing to the Doug Gabriel's of the world are over.
You said it best.I'd love for Moss,Stallworth,Welker,Watson,Colvin & even Samuel to be apart of this team for many more years.Brady has his weapons & I'm pretty sure Kraft & company will keep them in tacked.

I actually think that we keep all three......... We'll cut Washington and free up about 5M. Moss will sign for us in the 5-7 M/year range IMO. He'll want a big raise, but I think he won't make us break the bank n him. He will take less then he'd get on the open market to keep playing for Brady and BB. I think that is a given at this point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey