PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spygate - The Unasked Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are guilty of nothing more then having an unauthorized camera on the field. Estrella was taping what an *entire stadium* can sit around and watch and what would already be on the coaches game film.

Now if the tapping in to radio signals allegation is true, thats cheating, cant deny that one. But that crap came around because the radios were screwing up. Seems to happen occasionally in ALL staduims. Anyone who has the slightest clue about how radios work knows that tuning into a frequency cant even be detected, nevermind make the equipment screw up. If that was the case police scanners would be illegal as hell.

And the mic'ing defensive players and recording it thru a video camera that was claimed is absolute BS. That could be done with a wireless receiver and mirco recorder that could fit into anyones pocket. No way in hell if NE (or anyone in the nfl) does it they use a large assed and more expensive video camera sitting around to record.

.........."What if Belichick only used the footage to assist him in developing what is probably best described as "personality profiles" of every coach in the league? What if matching the film of the adjustments up with the game film, Belichick then used the footage as a sort of "key" to unlock the specific tendencies of each coach and/or coordinator in the league? In essence Belichick would be attempting to gain an understanding of how each coach thinks? How might they react to each particular situation that occurs during the game? For example...When the defense has their base defense on the field, what adjustments do they make when the offense goes empty backfield or brings in three tight ends.".............

Sorry Pyper but you are just grasping for excuses. Focusing the camera on the signs used tells you nothing about the tendencies in specific situations...only about signs used in specific situations. How teams deploy their players during different looks will be shown on the game tapes. And you "personality profile" arguement is just a fluffy phrase that attempts to justify this rules infraction.

So would someone in the stands focusing the camera on the signs used by a DC be cheating?

No.

But the key is what BB did with the material. If he was just compiling a catalog of Defensive Coaching signals for advanced scouting, as we all think, then this isn't really cheating, but an actual missunderstanding of a rule. Simply he broke a rule and got punished. He claimed he misinterpreted the rule and stated that he never used the material in game, and if that is true, than there is no cheating. All the media are basing the "cheating" on is using the video in game to steal signals. Its assumptions and until we know exactly what BB did with the videos we can't claim that they cheated. They broke a rule, and they could have possibly be cheating, but again, innocent until proven guilty.

No.

But the key is what BB did with the material. If he was just compiling a catalog of Defensive Coaching signals for advanced scouting, as we all think, then this isn't really cheating, but an actual missunderstanding of a rule. Simply he broke a rule and got punished. He claimed he misinterpreted the rule and stated that he never used the material in game, and if that is true, than there is no cheating. All the media are basing the "cheating" on is using the video in game to steal signals. Its assumptions and until we know exactly what BB did with the videos we can't claim that they cheated. They broke a rule, and they could have possibly be cheating, but again, innocent until proven guilty.
Not so, unfortunately, in the court of public opinion.

10 characters

My tainted glasses?? I was a NEP employee, and I've lived and died with this team since the John Stephens days.

You have stated several truisms, but there is no logical link between them. That is where your post and my post differ.

Truism??? These are facts. The league rules state that it is legal to videotape in a designated space that has side walls and a roof. There can be no access to coaches during the taping.

I agree that Belicheck blatantly ignored the commissioners direction that there would be no videotaping in the coaches area. Thats why he was so heavily fined and the team punished.

It IS legal to videotape the opposing coaches for the purpose of compiling data to be used at a future date.

Frankly, the punishment far exceeds the violation. If I were Belichek, I would be suing everyone of these newspapers for slander that printed the word Cheater. Nowhere in Goodells statement did he say the Patriots cheated.

They violated a rule in an attempt to gain a competitive advantage. That's cheating.

I'm sorry. I love the Pats and will continue to support them to the death, but come on.

Unless you are arguing that a) they didn't violate a rule; or b) they didn't gain (or attempt to gain) a competitive advantage, you can pretty much throw your manifesto in the garbage.

holding, offsides and blocking in the back are violations of NFL rules and are considered an attempt to gain a competitive andvantage. that's NOT cheating, now is it?

My point is, football is a game of constant cheating. Some penalties result in 10 yard penalties and some in $500,000 fines...that's all

This is the thread I have been waiting for. It's been over a week and I still can't believe this exact type of thread discussion hasn't been talked about on any of the sports shows or written by any writers with a brain....

Good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back