PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sproles to test FA'cy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Florio has an interesting theory, that by nontendering Sproles as a RFA he becomes a UFA who falls under the uncapped year final eight limitations.

Chargers might be trying to keep the Colts from getting Sproles | ProFootballTalk.com

The Chargers would also presumably get a compensation pick ths way. It all makes sense, but it could hinge on the exact CBA language and I haven't seen anyone else say it, so who knows.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Colts can't really do anything with Sproles unless Brackett gets more than Sproles in the market.

How the NFL will accurately measure the "real" contract value is beyond me.

Last edited:
would you pull the trigger? I've always liked him.... Land Sproles and rid Maroney.

just sayin....

Getting Rid of Maroney would be asinine. Sproles is a 3rd down back much like Kevin Faulk. Maroney is cheap in comparison to either Faulk or Sproles.

That being said, I'd bring Sproles in for Kick Return duty and 3rd down back duty.

He's a restricted free agent. Your best hope is that he gets the low tender from the Chargers because it's more cost-effective.

San Diego announced that they will NOT be tendering Sproles as a RFA. That makes him a UFA.

Getting Rid of Maroney would be asinine. Sproles is a 3rd down back much like Kevin Faulk. Maroney is cheap in comparison to either Faulk or Sproles.

That being said, I'd bring Sproles in for Kick Return duty and 3rd down back duty.

Gerhart > Maroney

Watch...

I would trade Lo-mo to the Bolts if we get TOBY.

Maroney had his chance and he sucked overall.....

sorry if my intense hatred for Maroney creates poor conclusions. I want him OUT.....

No Cap yr this yr.

offer Sproles a 3 yr contract... More pay up front.

- if we get Toby- send Lomo to Chargers for cAPTAIN DB:cool:

A Bolt infusion could be upon us :):):)

Florio has an interesting theory, that by nontendering Sproles as a RFA he becomes a UFA who falls under the uncapped year final eight limitations.

Chargers might be trying to keep the Colts from getting Sproles | ProFootballTalk.com

The Chargers would also presumably get a compensation pick ths way. It all makes sense, but it could hinge on the exact CBA language and I haven't seen anyone else say it, so who knows.
Florio sure snorted a lot of methane gas to develop that hypothesis.

Interesting player good returner but I think he might get better money than we would be willing to offer..

Gerhart > Maroney

Watch...

I would trade Lo-mo to the Bolts if we get TOBY.

Maroney had his chance and he sucked overall.....

sorry if my intense hatred for Maroney creates poor conclusions. I want him OUT.....

No Cap yr this yr.

offer Sproles a 3 yr contract... More pay up front.

- if we get Toby- send Lomo to Chargers for cAPTAIN DB:cool:

A Bolt infusion could be upon us :):):)

Yes, your irrational hatred of Maroney clouds your thinking. That's obvious..

Just because there is no cap this year doesn't mean the Pats can be financially irresponsible. Especially if there is a cap in 2011. Many teams are going to treat contract as if there IS a cap currently and as if there will be a cap in 2011.

Getting Gerhart doesn't mean that you have to get rid of Maroney. In fact, it's more likely that Morris or Taylor would be cut unless a suitable trade partner was found.

As for San Diego, them not tendering Sproles tells me that either they plan on getting Spiller or the rumor of the trade of Cromartie for Choice is more than a rumor.

I can remember how quick people were to want to can Faulk cause of his running and fumbling. People are doing the same with Maroney. The kid turned 25 this year so he's still young.

Could he be done as a Pat? Sure. Anything is possible. But I think it's more likely that Sammy goes since Sammy can't stay healthy.

Umm you'd devote 3 roster spots to 3 3rd down backs - Maroney, Sproles, and Faulk?? That makes no sense. I don't think the Pats have the roster room or money to devote to just 3rd down back and kick returner. I'd really like the Pats to get Breaston instead and that would solve 2 problems with one stone but the Cards probably don't want to part for him.

Looks like the Chargers are DEFINITELY drafting a RB this year since they cut loose both Tomlinson and Sproles. Perhaps even in the 1st round. I'd hate to see CJ Spiller sporting the lightning bolts.

Per KFFL Hotwire
"Cowboys | Have not received any offer for Choice
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:49:51 -0800

Tim MacMahon, of ESPNDallas.com, reports Dallas Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said the team has not received any trade offers for RB Tashard Choice."

Last edited:
I can remember how quick people were to want to can Faulk cause of his running and fumbling.
It wasn't just people here. Faulk was given the chance to be the feature back in 2000 and fumbled and stumbled so much BB signed Antowain.

His running is great out of the shotgun and on swing passes, but horrible as a set back.

And did we really want to can Faulk? Or re-assign him? I thought he would make a great Safety because he single-handledly can cause a LOT of fumbles.

Umm you'd devote 3 roster spots to 3 3rd down backs - Maroney, Sproles, and Faulk?? That makes no sense. I don't think the Pats have the roster room or money to devote to just 3rd down back and kick returner. I'd really like the Pats to get Breaston instead and that would solve 2 problems with one stone but the Cards probably don't want to part for him.

Faulk is a UFA, since you seem to have missed it and is not currently on the Pats roster.
Maroney is NOT just a 3rd down back. I was comparing the COST not the ability.

Instead of guessing at what is being said, just try reading what is said.l It works wonders..

Looks like the Chargers are DEFINITELY drafting a RB this year since they cut loose both Tomlinson and Sproles. Perhaps even in the 1st round. I'd hate to see CJ Spiller sporting the lightning bolts.

Per KFFL Hotwire
"Cowboys | Have not received any offer for Choice
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:49:51 -0800

Tim MacMahon, of ESPNDallas.com, reports Dallas Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said the team has not received any trade offers for RB Tashard Choice."

Yes, and a trade that can't be consummated until the start of free agency is going to be given to KFFL to broadcast all over.. When was the last time KFFL actually broke a story? Or ESPN for that matter.

I still don't get why people say this. His production, measurables, running style, and even his speed translate to the NFL.

Then I guess Tim Tebow's production and measurable translate to the NFL too? His running style (up and down and his 4.5+ speed) dont translate to the NFL at all, sorry but Gerhart is overrated buy a few people here, luckily he isnt at Barwin status....yet.

Then I guess Tim Tebow's production and measurable translate to the NFL too? His running style (up and down and his 4.5+ speed) dont translate to the NFL at all, sorry but Gerhart is overrated buy a few people here, luckily he isnt at Barwin status....yet.

YouTube - Toby Gerhart Highlights 2009 the real Heisman

I don't know what you mean by "up and down" but he wore down good defenses on a consistent basis. He turned the great USC defense to trash.
He said in an article he ran a 4.43, so we'll see tomorrow. He's not a FB just cause he's a whiteboy. :)

I'd rather up and down then Maroney's side to side cha cha cha :D

Kevin Faulk (2009)
Rushing: 5.4 YPC / 2 TDs / 335 Yards / 62 Attempts
Receiving: 37 rec / 301 yards / 1 TD

Darren Sproles (2009)
Rushing: 3.7 YPC / 3 TDs / 343 Yards / 93 Attempts
Receiving: 45 rec / 497 yards / 4 TDs

Last edited:
I still don't get why people say this. His production, measurables, running style, and even his speed translate to the NFL.

They can say this after watching him during his collegiate career and coming to the conclusion re: his NFL prospects.

If you want the white Ron Dayne, go for it.

YouTube - Toby Gerhart Highlights 2009 the real Heisman

I don't know what you mean by "up and down" but he wore down good defenses on a consistent basis. He turned the great USC defense to trash.
He said in an article he ran a 4.43, so we'll see tomorrow. He's not a FB just cause he's a whiteboy. :)

I'd rather up and down then Maroney's side to side cha cha cha :D

Brian Leonard and Peyton Hillis are two white boys that are running backs, Gerhart isnt;). By up and down I mean he doesnt lower his pad level enough for a guy that is 6'+ this is going to kill him in the NFL. Hes not Brandon Jacobs and hes not Mike Alstot. I see him as an H back in the NFL and hes probably a better one than Tebow will be if he doesnt play QB. Oh and that "great" USC defense was the worst in the Pete Caroll era. USC wasnt USC last year. The Pac 10 in general (outside of Oregon) was terrible.

Brian Leonard and Peyton Hillis are two white boys that are running backs, Gerhart isnt;). By up and down I mean he doesnt lower his pad level enough for a guy that is 6'+ this is going to kill him in the NFL. Hes not Brandon Jacobs and hes not Mike Alstot. I see him as an H back in the NFL and hes probably a better one than Tebow will be if he doesnt play QB. Oh and that "great"
USC defense was the worst in the Pete Caroll era. USC wasnt USC last year. The Pac 10 in general (outside of Oregon) was terrible.

Toby Gerhart vs. Oregon: 38 carries 223 yards 5.9 yards a carry.

Draft the beast.

Brian Leonard and Peyton Hillis are two white boys that are running backs, Gerhart isnt;).

If you ever said "two black boys that are quarter backs" you would be called a racist.

Also, why is this thread so off-topic?

Toby Gerhart vs. Oregon: 38 carries 223 yards 5.9 yards a carry.

Draft the beast.

There was almost 100 points scored in that game. Oregons D wasnt a strong point it was there O. Pass on the mediocre RB.

If you ever said "two black boys that are quarter backs" you would be called a racist.

Also, why is this thread so off-topic?

I wasnt the first one to use "white boys" in this thread but ok. Darren Sproles could be a big impact player for us....now its back on topic!

There was almost 100 points scored in that game. Oregons D wasnt a strong point it was there O. Pass on the mediocre RB.

We'll see;)

I understand not liking a prospect, but calling him mediocre is ignorant. He won the Doak Walker award...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back