PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sproles to test FA'cy

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarkDawg

Banned
Reaction score
would you pull the trigger? I've always liked him.... Land Sproles and rid Maroney.

just sayin....

would you pull the trigger? I've always liked him.... Land Sproles and rid Maroney.

just sayin....

He would be a Faulk replacement, if anything. But, he can't block, which is a big problem. Probably not a good fit, especially for the money he'll likely be seeking.

He's a restricted free agent. Your best hope is that he gets the low tender from the Chargers because it's more cost-effective.

A Chargers official confirmed Friday that Darren Sproles will not be tendered as a restricted free agent.
A tender would have required San Diego to pay him nearly $7M. Though he's a dynamite returner and pass catcher out of the backfield, GM A.J. Smith doesn't think Sproles is worth that much. The 26-year-old immediately becomes the top free agent back on the market, which opens March 5th. Feb. 26 - 3:09 pm et
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Last edited:
Too much $$$, can't block, rather draft a rb with the #53 pick.

343 yards rushing last year, 3.7 yards per carry. He's a receiver out of the backfield but can't pick up blitzes to save his life, so he's not even a potential Faulk replacement. Suggesting he could replace Maroney is pretty laughable.

STs returner ace pretty good as a back as well,If Faulk is still a member of the team which most of us expect him to,I cannot see Sproles as of interest here.

We need a running back to replace the dud Maroney and a fullback somewhere and to me is more important than a flashy returner

Last edited:
343 yards rushing last year, 3.7 yards per carry. He's a receiver out of the backfield but can't pick up blitzes to save his life, so he's not even a potential Faulk replacement. Suggesting he could replace Maroney is pretty laughable.

Salary would replace Maroney's...... Lomo's ypc couldnt be much better than 3.7.

draft maroney's successor.

I like that white boy out of Stanford, but he'll be long gone.

Salary would replace Maroney's...... Lomo's ypc couldnt be much better than 3.7.

draft maroney's successor.

Long gone by when? Gerhart should fall into the mid/late 2nd if not the 3rd.

Yes! My draft binky. I love Gerhart. He'll be at #53, our last 2nd rounder. If he runs a 4.4 like he says he can from training, he'll move to very early 2nd round.

Maroney's in the last year of his rookie contract and takes up almost no cap space, while Sproles would probably cost four-to-five times Maroney. That's a big deal for what is essentially a downgrade (Maroney averaged 3.9 last year on twice as many carries)

Last edited:
I hope we stay far, far away from Toby Gerhart.

Care to explain?

Sure. Dude isn't a feature back in the NFL. If we needed a FB/H-back type, I'd be all for it.

Well, on second thought, we kind of do. But it's not something I'd expend a day 1 pick on.

Sure. Dude isn't a feature back in the NFL. If we needed a FB/H-back type, I'd be all for it.

Well, on second thought, we kind of do. But it's not something I'd expend a day 1 pick on.

I still don't get why people say this. His production, measurables, running style, and even his speed translate to the NFL.

He would be a Faulk replacement, if anything. But, he can't block, which is a big problem. Probably not a good fit, especially for the money he'll likely be seeking.
Interesting you would say that. You didn't watch too many Charger games this year I guess. I think Sproles may be one of the top 10 blockers in the leauge. Take a look at some game film. He takes out players twice is size with easy because he is so small, and has such a compact build that he wins the leverage battle all the time. Take a better look.

Last edited:
Interesting you would say that. You didn't watch too many Charger games this year I guess. I think Sproles may be one of the top 10 blockers in the leauge. Take a look at some game film. He takes out players twice is size with easy because he is so small, and has such a compact build that he wins the leverage battle all the time. Take a better look.

We could use him, but not for big pay. Definitely a Faulk replacement. Runs harder, but damn is he small.

I hope we stay far, far away from Toby Gerhart.
^

Not a fan of drafting Full Back/big backs before Day 3.

As for Sproles, i'd rather have a tester on Leon Washington if we could. But, i'd rather have Faulk again.

If we don't draft McCluster I wouldn't mind picking him up for ST's. We need a better kick/punt returner.

Florio has an interesting theory, that by nontendering Sproles as a RFA he becomes a UFA who falls under the uncapped year final eight limitations.

Chargers might be trying to keep the Colts from getting Sproles | ProFootballTalk.com

Since Sproles is an unrestricted free agent, the Colts would be able to sign Sproles only if one of their two unrestricted free agents -- linebacker Gary Brackett or kicker Matt Stover -- sign with another team. Even then, the Colts would be limited by the contract paid to Brackett or Stover by his new team. But if the Chargers had tendered Sproles as a restricted free agent with no compensation, Sproles would have been fair game for the Colts or any of the other final four teams.

The Chargers would also presumably get a compensation pick ths way. It all makes sense, but it could hinge on the exact CBA language and I haven't seen anyone else say it, so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes