PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Springs Contract Update - 3 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Springs will make an average value of at least 3M per season and can earn over 4.3M per season if he reaches incentives? Sounds like starter money to me. BB must like Springs a lot.

Springs in 2007 had 4 INTs, 15 pass deflections, and led all cornerbacks in success rate...if he can remain healthy for most of the season, no doubt he should be a starter.

Springs in 2007 had 4 INTs, 15 pass deflections, and led all cornerbacks in success rate...if he can remain healthy for most of the season, no doubt he should be a starter.

Or perhaps the #1 starter?

I love this signing. I'd like it even more if a Bodden/McAlister were picked up at some point too.

You just jinxed it. Now he'll get hurt in TC! please buy everyone a beer :eat2:

Last edited:
I think Springs, while older, can be a big addition for the defense. He has long been one of the overlooked corners in the league, in my estimation, and is a big, physical player with ball skills. Of course there is always injury concern, but this guy is probably the best corner on their roster right now. Could be a sort of hybrid of the Otis Smith/Tyrone Poole/Rodney Harrison signings. His talent level falls somewhere in between the last two, while his age is more in the Smith range. I think the HC of the NEP can good production out of Springs.

I think he will work out ok for the Pat's. He's got size to cover some of the taller Wr's in the league and he has got a proven track record. Negative and positive. In all honesty I'm hoping for 12-13 games out of the guy and for him to be solid in coverage. Hopefully he excels and has a resurgence in his career that is just mind boggling.

I wonder if this guy makes the move to safety in his 2nd or 3rd year?

I'm not sure Springs really needs a career resurgence. He was pretty good last year.

Springs is one of those guys, like Joey Galloway, who was exceptionally fast in his twenties and has dropped to being just fast in his thirties. Add one more good defensive back to the Pats' mix and they're going to look okay -- the Hobbs/Springs/Wheatley/Wilhite group looks passable, but they really need a bigger safety still, as neither Sanders nor Meriweather can really fill that Rodney Harrison role. Maybe Roy Williams?

I'm not sure Springs really needs a career resurgence. He was pretty good last year.

Springs is one of those guys, like Joey Galloway, who was exceptionally fast in his twenties and has dropped to being just fast in his thirties. Add one more good defensive back to the Pats' mix and they're going to look okay -- the Hobbs/Springs/Wheatley/Wilhite group looks passable, but they really need a bigger safety still, as neither Sanders nor Meriweather can really fill that Rodney Harrison role. Maybe Roy Williams?

I'd prefer a rehabbed Rodney, but I like the Springs explanation. I'm excited to see this guy work.

I think Springs, while older, can be a big addition for the defense. He has long been one of the overlooked corners in the league, in my estimation, and is a big, physical player with ball skills. Of course there is always injury concern, but this guy is probably the best corner on their roster right now. Could be a sort of hybrid of the Otis Smith/Tyrone Poole/Rodney Harrison signings. His talent level falls somewhere in between the last two, while his age is more in the Smith range. I think the HC of the NEP can good production out of Springs.

No question, BB will use him well :) If he's indeed on board for 3 years (still nothing in Reiss' column yet btw:cool: Mike's on vaca but he does have people covering for him so not sure what that lack of confirmation signifies,if anything) maybe Springs will indeed end up playing safety too.

One thing we really missed last year imho was Rodney's experience reading the field. Springs can bring that to the table and hopefully pick up some of Rodney's wisdom, assuming #37 comes back even if in a more limited role.

Great signing and hopefully his contract terms are confirmed, as in etched in stone, soon:rocker:

Springs' salaries are as follows ($1,750,000 in 2009, $2,225,000 in 2010, and $2,750,000 in 2011) for a total of $6,750,000 in salaries. I am presuming that he got a $3,750,000 signing bonus. Such a signing bonus would make his deal "in excess of $10.5 million over three years".

I started to post the other day that he was likely seeing $5M this season with a $3M or so cap hit.

Lately patsfans seem to want to think everyone works for minimum... or they just ignore the fact that you can't backload phony salaries and take a miniscule first year cap hit under an expiring CBA.

Springs' salaries are as follows ($1,750,000 in 2009, $2,225,000 in 2010, and $2,750,000 in 2011) for a total of $6,750,000 in salaries. I am presuming that he got a $3,750,000 signing bonus. Such a signing bonus would make his deal "in excess of $10.5 million over three years".

Plus he has contract escalators based on performance incentives, doesn't he?

I started to post the other day that he was likely seeing $5M this season with a $3M or so cap hit.

Lately patsfans seem to want to think everyone works for minimum... or they just ignore the fact that you can't backload phony salaries and take a miniscule first year cap hit under an expiring CBA.

I took a look around at other fan sites a few days ago, and it's the same everywhere. As soon as a player is cut, half (or more) of the responses are "sign him to a vet minimum deal" - you'd be amazed at how many fans think so many players would be willing to take a less than $1 million deal.

Plus he has contract escalators based on performance incentives, doesn't he?

I was posting stuff that had yet to be posted. Why post stuff that is already known??

I was posting stuff that had yet to be posted. Why post stuff that is already known??

I was hoping you'd provide the numbers for the escalators. And perhaps what he'd need to do to hit the performance escalators too would be nice to know.

Last edited:
I was hoping you'd provide the numbers for the escalators. And perhaps what he'd need to do to hit the performance escalators too would be nice to know.

Do not know those details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back