Welcome to PatsFans.com

Sportswriter thinks he's a coach

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Dec 21, 2011.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +738 / 11 / -7

2. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +533 / 14 / -28

The national stats are the 1 in 4 young girls are sexually victimized and 1 in 6 boys.. so nothing is surprising, it happens too often.

4. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +738 / 11 / -7

Darryl, that is a very hard stat to just accept uncritically... what gets included in the category? We're not saying 1/4 & 1/6 (by gender) get the equivalent of a shower w/Sandusky, are we?

I have to add a little mea culpa to this one -- I let myself get giddy with auto-condemnation, because it fit with the old cliche of a sports writer doing the Monday morning quarterback thing, you know, "I'd like to see HIM do what the coaches do!"

Folks, please read the link through. I'm not defending him, but this one has three allegations, no witnesses, and no physical evidence, so far.

So it's really apples and oranges, and from what I can see, there's not even a possibility of a court case because of the statute of limitations.

(Pennsylvania has now eliminated that statute, but in his case it is grandfathered in -- so these three people came forward knowing it never goes to court.)

It's sad either way. If he did not do it, he's 77 years old and going out with a cloud over him. If he did do it, there's no justice in this case... and these victims are coming forward sort of as their own form of justice -- basically saying he should at least have to deal with the public embarrassment even if he can't go to jail.

Just trying to be fair by putting in the context.

PFnV

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +533 / 14 / -28

Got the numbers wrong, mea culpa,

http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/sexual-assault-victims

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +452 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Appropriate commentary. What the heck else can we say? This crap is getting sickening...what do you think about increasing the penalty for child abuse?

Maybe 25 to life with a minimum of 25 years served? These people typically don't stop and that's the saddest part.

I am surprised that we don't read/hear about more victims attacking or murdering their abuser. I'm not condoning it, but I'd certainly be sympathetic toward it.

7. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +738 / 11 / -7

Supposedly states handle this but I believe there's precedent in federal drug laws -- for example, pot's just plain illegal so when they're in the mood, the feds can bust dispensaries in California. I don't think they're doing so right now, but it's a possibility. The sentencing guidelines for drugs are, I believe, federal (?)

Of course that's a matter of "big government" to some.

Whether it happens at the state or federal level, though, I think the goal justifies the role of government.

Moving past that -- what if, say (picking out of my hat) -- Tennessee decides it has lax laws? Is that okay or does it have to be federal?

Final comment -- there should be no statute of limitations for child abuse. Kids aren't even able to bring suit at the time of the attack, acting on their own. They're subject to all this external pressure, if parents or institutions are perceived as blaming them for the attack.

IOW, if sandusky gets the kid when he's 10, and he hides it in shame until he's 30, thinking "Oh my God I can't admit THIS," he needs to be able to bring that suit 20, 30, 40 years later... especially in these cases.

Now given how wrong/evil the crime is...

What do we do if this guy really did do it, while there was a statute of limitations, but we can't find anybody w/standing to bring the suit?

That is, what if all his victims were before they eliminated that statute?

If he did it, that's unlikely. Pedophiles tend to keep being pedophiles. But still, what if?

Is it important enough to apply a law ex post facto? Before you answer think about that precedent: You make (let's say) abortion illegal tomorrow, and make it ex post facto... does that mean that you haul away some mild-mannered hausefrau that got an abortion in 1976? Or take yesterday's rulings on mercury yesterday, and those are just rules... but they hook up with laws. Can I now shut down plants that exceeded the new rules before their effective dates? I.e., go get someone for the mercury they put into the environment in 1980 for a law passed in 2011?

There shouldn't be a statute of limitations for this crime. I am in favor of eliminating it.

But then you have the weirdness of the guys from before the elimination of the statute. What do you do about that?

PFnV

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +835 / 2 / -9

The Entertainment Industry and The Public Educational System Spawns Them, in the world of Hollywood, Music, HBO and Liberal Loony Colleges anything goes those ass holes use "the freedom crap" to push their "if it feels good do it sh!t"

Islam has a reason to call us "The Great Satan America"

Some moonbat schools want to teach kids how to play with themselves no god damn batty school teacher ever had to teach me how to do that.

Pedophiles should be Publicly Hung By The Neck until dead in a stadium and on national TV.